Army National Guard

Posted by: Stormdragon

Army National Guard - 03/10/08 07:57 AM

Just curious, can anyone give me a breakdown of what, say, a typical drill weekend would be for an Infantryman or MP of the Army National Guard (I'm getting ready to switch from Active Delayed entry to the Guard)?
Posted by: fileboy2002

Re: Army National Guard - 03/10/08 02:25 PM

Three words: booze, babes, and @#$%.

Re: Army National Guard - 03/10/08 03:12 PM

Dammit I'm serious! I want to know I'm gonna get solider training each month and summer and on predeployment. I mean MOUT, react to contact drills, hard PT, etc.
Posted by: everyone

Re: Army National Guard - 03/11/08 02:28 PM

I was an artillery officer in the Army National Guard for about 10 years. It was a long time ago. Some weekends we would stay at the armory and work on basic combat skills and admin, other weekends we would go to a larger base and do live fire exercises. Our 2 weeks in the summer, we would be in the woods most of the time training as close to real war conditions as we could simulate.

Re: Army National Guard - 03/13/08 03:43 AM

I like the sound of that. I hope to do lots of MOUT.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: Army National Guard - 03/18/08 06:50 PM

Quote:

Just curious, can anyone give me a breakdown of what, say, a typical drill weekend would be for an Infantryman or MP of the Army National Guard (I'm getting ready to switch from Active Delayed entry to the Guard)?

I was in field artillery. It's going to depend on your unit and the amount of funds availiable, not to mention the ones making the decisions.

You can bet you will get good training out of it though. The ARNG are not the drunken goofballs thet were there when fileboy was in, we can't afford to be.

Re: Army National Guard - 03/27/08 05:46 AM

Well from talking to a few Oregon ARNG soldiers (Infantry which is what I'm going to go into) and reading up a bit, we have a very good Brigade, and they really kick ass and hold their own when push comes to shove so I think I'll go for it, it looks to be just what I'm looking for. I hope to go to a drill with a friend who is 11 Bravo here soon though to see for myself.

Re: Army National Guard - 03/27/08 07:08 PM

Infantry huh? You really do want to get into the mix. Get ready to be deployed often. Hope you don't plan on raising a family. The Army is not family oriented imo.

p.s. infantrymen need to be in the best shape. You are going to be lugging around about 80lbs on your back for miles.

p.s.s. Grunts are looked upon as stupid too,lol.
Posted by: Bushi_no_ki

Re: Army National Guard - 03/29/08 12:26 PM

How do you think I feel, Brian, I'm a glorified grunt, with a GT score about as high as you can get, and all these paper pushers try to treat me like I'm stupid.
Posted by: globetrotter

Re: Army National Guard - 03/30/08 06:25 AM

Quote:

Infantry huh? You really do want to get into the mix. Get ready to be deployed often. Hope you don't plan on raising a family. The Army is not family oriented imo.

p.s. infantrymen need to be in the best shape. You are going to be lugging around about 80lbs on your back for miles.

p.s.s. Grunts are looked upon as stupid too,lol.

infantry is where a person who wants to be in the military should be. otherwise, you might as well just stay a civillian

Re: Army National Guard - 03/30/08 06:59 PM

Globetrotter, that's kind of an impractal perspective isn't it? I mean the military can't function without all those other jobs that some people are cut out for.
Anyway, what was your gt Bushi? I had a 126 (afqt of 93).

Re: Army National Guard - 04/05/08 04:11 PM

137 (AFQT 97)

Re: Army National Guard - 04/08/08 08:51 PM

Well done bro.
Posted by: Cesar

Re: Army National Guard and combatives - 09/25/08 04:35 AM

Hi all,
I am currently deployed and want to learn MACP, but don't know where to begin. My unit is clueless. I have ask them over dozen times. I am doing Marine Corp Martial Art and testing out for my first belt tomorrow. I need some guidnace from the Army. I am in the NY national guard on Long Island. Any help is appreciated!

Re: Army National Guard and combatives - 09/28/08 02:27 AM

Forget MACP, MCMAP is imo much more complete and you learn a little of everything right from the start rather than going for ages only doing basic grappling. Better yet pick up sone Krav Maga.

Re: Army National Guard and combatives - 11/25/08 06:43 PM

Looking into things a bit more, once you get to level 3 or 4 it seems ok (I still prefer MCMAP though) but getting there is the hard part. Before that it seems incomplete and the focus is misplaced but its better than nothing.
One month till I leave for Benning! Hey Brian-My company is leaving for Bahgdad in April and I'm probably gonna miss it due to missiing the train up sinceI'll be in OSUT. So much for getting deployed often. After this we cant be deployed for another 4-6 years. guess I could [probably tag along with another unit though.
This past weekend we learned battledrill alpha and then had a paintball war with like 20 on 20 using our new skills. It was freakin sweeT!

Re: Army National Guard and combatives - 11/30/08 05:11 AM

SD, you will probably be on a late flight in, if not just deployed. Sorry, no missing deployments unless you have a medical reason, or a DA level school selection.

Re: Army National Guard and combatives - 12/04/08 02:35 PM

Huh, really strange everyone gives me a different answer. A few guys say I'll be on rear detachment as they generally don't deploy guys in ones and twos and they won't use me if I miss the MOB. Others say they'll just get me up to speed when I get there and that'll be that.
Either way is cool with me I just wish I could kow wha's gona happen and be able to plan for things.

Re: Army National Guard and combatives - 12/08/08 05:50 PM

Quote:

I just wish I could kow wha's gona happen and be able to plan for things.

Then you should have never joined the army,lol.

The military can be frustrating because things change from minute to minute. Just do what you are told, get your schools in, and keep yo hiney covered!

Re: Army National Guard and combatives - 12/08/08 11:56 PM

Boy aint that the truth. lol Well, I always hope to get a clear, accurate answer but I realize I rarely will and that's just the nature of the beast. I love it anyway. If I get deployed this time that's cool, if I don't that's cool too (I just hope to have that chance eventually, maybe get a CIB or EIB at least)
Actually, if I don't get deployed this time with my unit, I could always attach to another one if I really wanted to deploy right away. There's a bunch going next year. Otherwise I'll go to school for awhile and most likely try to attach with another unit at least within 2 or 3 years. 40-45K tax free, no bills, medical taken care of, works for me.
Posted by: Cesar

Re: Army National Guard and combatives - 12/14/08 01:40 AM

I have over 16 years in martial arts 2 BB from 2 different styles and experience in Judo, Modern Arnis, Hapkido, and a little(very) Tai Chi. Are army personnel authorize to waer MC MACP belts, if so, what regulation is it under? My senior NCO will give me flank for it(I will have at the minimum give by the end of the year 2008)