Premeditated Murder = Two days in jail?

Posted by: Zombie Zero

Premeditated Murder = Two days in jail? - 12/19/07 09:16 AM

A woman convicted of shooting her husband in the head while he slept was sentenced to two days in jail.

Story here.
Sure, she also got hit with a $10,000 fine and 10 years probation, but come on... TWO DAYS?

She has literally gotten away with murder.

I find this baffling.
Posted by: harlan

Re: Premeditated Murder = Two days in jail? - 12/19/07 09:33 AM

I read through the article until the end...and finally realized that this is in...Texas. What a surprise.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Premeditated Murder = Two days in jail? - 12/19/07 11:35 AM

Unbelievable. I would love to know what the circumstances were. Was the husband beating her or what?

Hard to understand this verdict as is.
Posted by: Zombie Zero

Re: Premeditated Murder = Two days in jail? - 12/19/07 01:27 PM

Quote:

Was the husband beating her or what?

Probably not. From the article:

Quote:

Prosecutors alleged that Traci killed so that she could collect her husband’s life insurance policy and continue an affair with a co-worker.

That seems more likely to me. By the way:

Quote:

“Can you imagine the shock of being locked-up for two days in a 4-by-8 (foot cell) with cement walls in isolation? What a culture shock,” he said.

That's just about the most asinine statement I've ever read.

Can you imagine the shock of being shot in the head by your wife, while you were sleeping, and then being taken to the hospital, only to die the next day?
Posted by: hunterkell

Re: Premeditated Murder = Two days in jail? - 12/19/07 01:52 PM

Here is a little more to the story:

http://www.team4news.com/Global/story.asp?S=7464687

Seems there was "some" discussion as to whether the evidence was, "beyond a reasonable doubt".

Kel
Posted by: JAMJTX

Re: Premeditated Murder = Two days in jail? - 12/19/07 01:59 PM

Seems to have been a tough case to prove:

..."Gamez went on to say, "They legitimized and justified they're verdict of ‘guilty' because the state's own expert witnesses couldn't decide if this was a homicide or suicide."...

" Her fingerprints however, did not match those on the weapon used and after a while, the case turned cold, with many believing Scott had committed suicide.?...
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Premeditated Murder = Two days in jail? - 12/19/07 02:02 PM

Quote:

Prosecutors alleged that Traci killed so that she could collect her husband’s life insurance policy and continue an affair with a co-worker.

Thanks. I missed that part the first time I read it. She should probably fry.
Posted by: clmibb

Re: Premeditated Murder = Two days in jail? - 12/19/07 03:07 PM

I'm surprised but then I'm not. Texas leads the nation in executions. Last year 27 inmates were executed; all were men. The last female executed was in 2005.

The fingerprints on the gun didn't match hers. That leaves reasonable doubt; US law states "innocent until proven guilty beyond resonable doubt," since prints don't match, that leaves resonable doubt.

Casey
Posted by: JAMJTX

Re: Premeditated Murder = Two days in jail? - 12/19/07 03:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks. I missed that part the first time I read it. She should probably fry.

Fortunately, people don't get fried over allegations alone. It is the prosecuters job to prove his allegations. Here, he really didn't. It seems that the jury made a mistake. They should have either went with not guilty, or told the judge they can't come up with a verdict. Instead they confused things more by deciding to say "guilty" but go light on the punishment
Posted by: RazorFoot

Re: Premeditated Murder = Two days in jail? - 12/21/07 11:45 AM

If there was some thought that it might have been suicide, why was she even tried? If it was suicide, how did her prints get on the weapon? Ok, I am confused. Going to stop reading now because my head hurts from all the contradicitons.

Sound like nobody knows what happened and no one ever will. The verdict is , however, ridiculous. If guilty then send her to jail, if not guilty or there is a doubt, well then, not guilty.

Jury on crack, case dismissed.

Posted by: Th0r

Re: Premeditated Murder = Two days in jail? - 01/21/08 01:11 PM

Quote:

I read through the article until the end...and finally realized that this is in...Texas. What a surprise.

Two days in jail for murder!
That is absoloutely ridicoulous, especially for a state that has almost 400 people on death row.

This is laughable, not to mention this is an insult to the victim.