It's official I am crossing over...

Posted by: Aeras

It's official I am crossing over... - 11/10/07 03:00 PM

I have just submitted my application for the local PD . I am leaving healthcare for a whole new world of fun . Only tip I have gotten so far is to be prepared for the amount of paper work I will be filing...lol. Any tips from you wonderful fellow fightingarts.com junkies? Specifically you of the police persuasion...?
Posted by: oldman

Re: It's official I am crossing over... - 11/10/07 04:59 PM

Congratulations. In no time at all I'll seeing you on an episode of cops arresting yet another shirtless man. It's always the guy without the shirt.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: It's official I am crossing over... - 11/10/07 05:36 PM

Ahhhh.....I tried to take the plunge about 10 years ago, but washed out on the eye exam. Guess they didn't want me to shoot the hostage by mistake.

Be prepared for Internal Affairs to be all over if you even APPEAR to screw something up. Don't EVER forget to sign+date your paperwork - ALL OF IT. Get written authorization for all time off, and make a copy of it for yourself.

But mostly, have fun!

Re: It's official I am crossing over... - 11/10/07 08:17 PM

It is always the shirtless man isn't. I'll be on the lookout for no shirt and mullets. A deadly combination. I'll do my best to have fun, I am an RN so I have to sign everything eight times anyways. Hopefully I won't get buried in paperwork. Thanks for the encouragement guys!
Posted by: Bushi_no_ki

Re: It's official I am crossing over... - 11/10/07 09:42 PM

Try and stay in shape. 99% of what you do might be riding around in a Squad Car, but there will be those instances where you have to chase someone down. Also, work on your marksmanship. You might be called upon to fire your handgun once in your entire career, but that one time is when it will really count.
Posted by: hunterkell

Re: It's official I am crossing over... - 11/12/07 10:27 AM

As time goes by and you make traffic stop after traffic stop and nothing ever goes wrong. You will progress in your career and become more confident in your abilities.

It is not the first traffic stop that you make by yourself that will kill you (you will always remember the first one because you will be scared and display excellent officer safety skills).

It is the 10,000th one. The one where you will have been on the road as a patrol officer for 15-20 years. You will have lost all of your good habits and you will be complacent...and then that very agreeable senior citizen, or that cooperative young man that is so polite and keeps saying, "Yes sir" or, "No sir" will produce a weapon that you did not see...

Re: It's official I am crossing over... - 11/13/07 10:45 AM

So, basically what you guys are saying is stay vigilant. Can do. thanks for the advice guys. I'll keep you updated on my progress.

Re: It's official I am crossing over... - 11/13/07 01:03 PM

Another piece of advice;

if you don't get accepted at the first place you apply for don't worry about it. Just keep plugging along and keep applying. If turned away, call the HR rep and ask them why and then do what you can to straighten out the concerned area.

Sometimes they will choose a more qualified applicant, sometimes, it will be because someone was just liked better, and sometimes, the L.E.O. will be looking to fill a quota.

I applied at 3 different L.E.O.s before I found the right fit.

Bottom Line: if it is something that you are determined to do; don't get discouraged...

Kel

It's ironic that I am going to retire in a few years and go into the nursing field and you are leaving the nursing field and going into law enforcement.

Good luck.

Re: It's official I am crossing over... - 11/13/07 03:55 PM

Quote:

It's ironic that I am going to retire in a few years and go into the nursing field and you are leaving the nursing field and going into law enforcement.:)

Too funny! Funny how that works out isn't it. Nursing is great, I am just ready for something else. I am already trying to setup my contingencies. I am applying to a very small PD and there is a lot of competition for the position. I will take your advice if I don't receive this particular position. Thanks guys!

Re: It's official I am crossing over... - 11/13/07 04:15 PM

BTW, is there a particular field of nursing you are considering entering? Just curious.

Re: It's official I am crossing over... - 11/14/07 10:05 AM

I'd like start at ICU and work into ER.

In my area, we have a Level 1 trauma hospital (15 miles away) and also a Level 2 (about 50 miles away).

That's where I want to end up..working in a Trauma Center.

I was a firefighter/EMT during the Gulf War for the military; I enjoyed it.

Kel

Re: It's official I am crossing over... - 11/14/07 10:59 AM

ER...ya. It just as intense as you imagine. ICU nursing is a whole other ball game, very intense and slow. ICU nursing requires an insane amount of patience. I work in a PACU at the moment which is a little bit of a middle ground. Takes a special person to career in the ED. Best of luck to you man, hope all works out. Good luck!

Re: It's official I am crossing over... - 11/14/07 02:45 PM

...and Good Luck w/yours.

K
Posted by: wristtwister

Re: It's official I am crossing over... - 11/30/07 08:39 PM

The time I spent as an LEO taught me that I was on the bad side of everybody. The perps didn't want me around... the judges never thought I did my job well enough... everything to the defense lawyers was "done wrong"... and on and on...

Remember that law enforcement is a "procedure" job, just like nursing. Follow the protocols, follow the rules, and follow the steps... and then document, document, document... and learn to listen ten times more than you talk. You'll be asked about details you never imagined.

I enjoyed my time in law enforcement, but was glad to go back to engineering, where life makes sense. It takes a certain "demeanor" and "mindset" to be a cop, and it will affect your personality if you're not careful. Find a way to relax, and use it. It's high stress, high demand... all the time, job. You're never "off" and you're always "on duty"... so be careful what you wish for.

I wish you well, and remember that not everybody is a crook... but a lot of LEO's "look the other way" when things go on that are on the inside of their department... so try not to get caught up in anything like that. A badge carries with it a lot of responsibility beyond the workplace, so learn to live with what you have to become.

Posted by: Fletch1

Re: It's official I am crossing over... - 12/02/07 09:05 PM

Try not to get too jaded. It is not just a job... you undoubtably will take it home with you to some degree, but you do have some control over how much.

... most important though, share things with your better half. Remember that at home you are still a husband and a dad and those people don't care what you do for a living. Also, maintain some friends and activities outside of the job. You will appreciate that come retirement time.

Re: It's official I am crossing over... - 12/03/07 09:19 AM

Wristtwister and Fletch1 are both right about the job.

I use to train or workout 3-5 times a week. I did it when I was younger to stay in shape and look good (I was single). I am now married and I do it to keep the effects of stress and rotating shifts under control, plus, my wife likes me to look good too .

Years ago, a captain in my academy told me about a study that was conducted that showed how LEOs died around 10 years after retirement and it was due to the rotating shifts and stress they were subject to.

I make sure to keep friends outside of my LEO and I also make sure to keep in contact with other LEOs from other agencies.

I am the only LEO at my church and it's nice because for the most part there is no LEO shoptalk that LEOs are prone to do. With 14 years in I get all the shop talk I need at work and unless a close personal friend of mine needs help, I don't won't to do it at home. That is the time I use to unwind and relax.

I share everything with my wife and we discuss many things. If you do make it to a full time LEO job, the first couple of years you will change and if you don't share those feelings and emotions that you experience with your wife you will change in a manner she will not understand and that could make things tough for keeping the marriage sound.

And as far as what Wristtwister is saying. The "job" does affect some more than others. Some can just go off duty and never think about it again (until they go back to work), while others never learn to let it go and it wears them out as the years go by.

Go read a book or 2 by Joseph Wambaugh (former LAPD Detective Sgt):

"Choirboys", "New Centurions", "Blue Knight"

they are a few decades old, but the LEO issues are still relevant.

"The Onion Field" is a non-fiction work by Joseph Wambaugh. It is a tough read if your a cop though...lot to do with what Wristtwister seems to have discovered during his time as a police officer.

K

Re: It's official I am crossing over... - 12/06/07 03:29 PM

I appreciate all the advice guys. If the application process is any indicator police enforcement is a stresser like none other. I am happy to report though that after two sets of essay questions, the actual application, the written test, background check, polygraph, physical, agility test, physchological exams, the ORAL BOARD (talk about stress), and finally a sit-down interview with the chief. I was officially extended an offer for employment this morning. Me and the Mrs. are quite thrilled. I will keep all of your excellenet advice in mind and hunterkill I am dropping by the library today to pick up those books you mentioned. My wife is my cousnelour and sounding board, no worries on me letting the stress run me up the wall. Hopefully if I can handle an elementary school bus-crash, a fire, and a ski-school accident all at once I am somewhat prepared for the stress of polcie work. Thanks again guys and I'll let you know when I start my first shift with my FTO. Thanks again!
Posted by: wristtwister

Re: It's official I am crossing over... - 12/08/07 06:51 AM

Aeras,
don't think that everything and every experience I had as an LEO was totally negative, just the general situation. I didn't develop those attitudes from specific encounters, but from the general tenor of life around law enforcement. I was "high profile" as an LEO... head of the sheriff's association, working in a corrupt environment, and trying to combine all that with being a father and family man.

Personal habits can go in the toilet very easily, and I saw lots of people in the job lose their families, get into situations where they ended up on the wrong side of the bars, and the opportunity to screw up is all over the place. You almost have to be a saint to get it all to work, depending on the actual environment you find yourself in.

My situation became dangerous for my family, who are also under threat from outsiders when you're a cop. The "bad guys" always know that your family can be a target as well as you, and that can cause you problems you never envisioned.

I entered the job for all the right reasons... I left the job the same way... but under a lot of stress and threat from the social structure I had to work in. The bigger the city, the bigger the cesspool... so I hope you're working in a relatively benign area where you don't have a lot of crime. It doesn't make you immune, but it's a hell of a lot better to not worry about going to work and then worry about what's happening to your family when you're there.

I wish you well in this, and trust me, I admire and respect the job that LEO's do for the community. They have to put up with more than anyone knows, see things that no one should have to see, and live under constant threat. It takes a special person to do all those things and stay sane.

Best of luck.

Re: It's official I am crossing over... - 12/08/07 11:26 AM

Quote:

The bigger the city, the bigger the cesspool... so I hope you're working in a relatively benign area where you don't have a lot of crime.

Very small vacation town, so no worries there. I truly do appreciate the advice, concern, and best wishes. I am doing my best to keep my eyes open and not walk into a blindside with this job. You have all been very helpful in my process of attaining that goal. So once again thanks guys. I'll keep you informed. I hope I am the type who can make it. Maybe I am not. I can only think of one way for me to find out.

See you on the streets.

Re: It's official I am crossing over... - 12/10/07 09:30 AM

A,

The one thing I discovered when dealing with people (whether victims or suspects):

always be professional. I have worked in nearly all aspects of LEO and dealt with many different types of people. During the last 17.5 years of public service I had very little trouble with people I dealt with on the street or with subjects I found it necesarry to arrest.

The reason was that I was professional to everyone I came in contact with. I never displayed my personal feelings (and more importantly my personal judgements on others).

K

Re: It's official I am crossing over... - 12/11/07 02:03 PM

hunterkell,
That is great advice, and it is taken to heart. Thank you.
Posted by: TeK9

Re: It's official I am crossing over... - 12/14/07 03:44 PM

I would really like to be in law enforcement, however, I have this thing about getting shot; I'm scared to death about it. I wonder how often FBI special agents get shot at? I am considering applying for the job.

Re: It's official I am crossing over... - 12/17/07 01:09 PM

T9,

What exactly would you like to do in law enforcement that you think you might/might not get shot at?

FBI is like other LEAs, they have different investigative areas: CSI, accounting (tax evasion), white collar crime, internal affairs, civil rights violation, and more.

So realisticly, you could work in a LE related support area without getting, "shot at".

K

PS-You'll have to try harder than that