Student wears bullet proof vest to school....

Posted by: hunterkell

Student wears bullet proof vest to school.... - 10/18/07 03:24 PM

Shawn ­Keiffer Newberry is shy, has a love for guns and is the 'most gentle person in the world,' in the eyes of his father, ­Jessie Newberry.
In the eyes of law enforcement, Newberry, 18, is potentially dangerous.

Weapons belonging to Newberry include two assault rifles and a Taser.

Related ArticlesStudent Who Wore Armor to School Arrested

Evidence seized by ..... Police in the arrest of Shawn Newberry includes ammunition and magazines for AK-47 assault rifles.

'Newberry displayed a great knowledge of assault weapons, police body armor, and knowledge of defeating body armor for the purpose of killing human beings,' an officer said in a police report.

The officer wrote that he '...believes Newberry is training and arming himself for some future illegal event.'

The elder Newberry said Wednesday that his son has never hurt anyone.

'Police are going ballistic and they are blowing all of this out of proportion,' he said.

Newberry was arrested Oct. 6 after he went to school wearing a bulletproof vest over a T-shirt Oct. 3. An officer questioned him about the vest at the charter school, Life Skills Center.

Life Skills administrator Curtis Thomas said Newberry walked into a class of about two dozen students wearing the vest. A teacher told Thomas, who in turn told a school resource officer about the student's unusual attire.

RED FLAGS

Jessie Newberry said his son had only attended Life Skills for four days, wore the vest because he was scared at the school and 'thought it looked cool to wear body armor.'

When Shawn Newberry consented to a search of his car, police charged him after they found a can of Clear Out, a nonlethal tear gas-like spray. Newberry was suspended from school.

Jessie Newberry explained that the Clear Out bottle was empty and his son kept it for protection during his delivery job at Pizza Hut on routes in bad neighborhoods.
After the search, more red flags were raised when Newberry talked about bulletproof vests with officers questioning him, police records state.

'Newberry explained ."that the only way to defeat the body armor is with a head shot or shooting someone's legs hitting the arterial vein so that they would ‘bleed out...'
Officers said in documents they thought it was unusual that Newberry would talk about killing people 'in such a calculated way' with three officers present.

The only time Newberry became nervous was when he was asked about the meaning of '10-19'

written on a piece of paper found in Newberry's car.

After officers researched Newberry's assigned computer at school, they found he had searched for Bible verses relating to 10-19, and specific dates relating to 10-19-87, including a stock market crash and an attack on Iran's oil platforms by the United States, according to police reports.

Jessie Newberry discounted the significance of the date. He said that his son was planning to get immunization shots for school on Oct. 19.

Before Newberry's arrest, his ex-stepfather, Mark McNeill, turned over to police two AK-47 assault rifles that belonged to Newberry. Earlier this year, McNeill turned over a bulletproof vest, tear gas, a tactical helmet, and two AK-47s belonging to Newberry.

Detectives looked further into Newberry's past and Wednesday searched his home. Police found numerous rounds of ammunition of various calibers, a small amount of marijuana, and a video camera with images of Newberry, three other young men and a woman who appear to be target shooting with AK-47s.

During one shooting session, the target was a newspaper box.

The video also shows the detonation of an explosive device, which was determined to have occurred just off Winter Lake Road.

After viewing the video, the State Attorney's Office charged Newberry with armed trespassing, grand theft for stealing the box and criminal mischief for damaging the box.

He is in the Polk County Jail in lieu of $605,000 bail.

First gun

Newberry bought his first AK-47 for about $600 about a week after his 18th birthday at a Vet's Surplus Store.

'He wanted to start collecting guns, particularly Kalashnikov guns,' said Michael Dunn, vice president at Vet's. The weapon, originally developed for the army of the former ­Soviet Union, is legal as long as it is semiautomatic.

Over time, Newberry bought a helmet, bulletproof vest, Taser, pepper spray and tear gas.

'He was a quiet guy,' Dunn said. 'He talked some about shooting...."

An officer in the store when Newberry purchased the gun asked him why he was buying it. Newberry could not provide a good reason, Dunn said.

'Right about that time interest peaked in him,' Dunn said.

Dunn stopped selling weapons to Newberry after police opened an investigation. 'I didn't feel comfortable selling them to him,' Dunn said.

Dunn said he told Newberry that he faced jail time if he continued to cause trouble with police.

'At first I thought he was just a nondescript little fellow,' Dunn said. 'After all this, I have some questions about what he's about.'

Newberry's father said police are wrong about his son.

The younger Newberry was home schooled for years and, according to police, only has a 6th-grade education. The home schooling combined with a lack of interaction with students made him extremely shy, his father said.

Recently, Shawn Newberry helped care for his mother, who died of cancer in February. 'He was there the whole time,' his father said.

I am a resource officer, but had no involvement in this news story.

Questions and observations:

The student is 18 years old.

In the reader's opinion;

Did L.E. go too far w/the charges? was it reasonable to go as in depth as the police investigation did?

FYI: In Florida it's perfectly legal for an 18 year old to own a rifle (or 2).

The can of "clear-out" was empty.

Would it have been more appropriate to help the young man find counseling sans criminal charges?

Was the memory of Columbine a factor?
Kel
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: Student wears bullet proof vest to school.... - 10/18/07 04:39 PM

Quote:

After viewing the video, the State Attorney's Office charged Newberry with armed trespassing, grand theft for stealing the box and criminal mischief for damaging the box.

The guy was apparently in clear violation of the law considering these actions. Armed trespassing, particularly is a pretty clearly illegal behaviour.

I'm not American, nor am I a lawyer, but to me it seems as if something's pretty obviously not right with the guy, considering the charges. As you say, the guy's now legally an adult, and as such will not be treated as a child in the eyes of the law.

Is it right or wrong to put the guy in jail? That's not for me to decide, I'm not an American, as I said.

Re: Student wears bullet proof vest to school.... - 10/19/07 09:07 AM

Good point.

He was charged for the armed trespass etc from the video of when he was on private property shooting up a paperbox.

I wonder why he felt it was needed to wear the vest to school..

The initial charge that set it off was the empty "clear out" can of spray (that is usually only possessed by SWAT and SRT units) that was in his car (in the parking lot). From what I can tell that was what he was charged with...

I'm not sure how I feel about how the whole thing went down and what it lead to...

K

ALSO-when I hit the post button to initialy send this post-an add popped up from this site w/a Tazer for sell that looked just like one the young man had in his "collection".
Posted by: globetrotter

Re: Student wears bullet proof vest to school.... - 10/21/07 06:50 PM

I'm sorry - zero sympathy. the boy and his father should be forced into some treatment, and the boy should be kept away from others until it is clearer that he is less nuts.

an AK-47 is a top preditor, an 18 year old student has no need of it. if his father isn't stable and/or smart enough to understand that this kid has a problem, they both should be treated.

Re: Student wears bullet proof vest to school.... - 10/22/07 08:49 AM

Globetrotter,

I agree an AK-47 is a powerful rifle.

Do you think it would have been better to Baker Act the student instead of arrest him?

Then if he was found to be of sound mind and body they could go back and charge him later..I guess I am wondering if they, "jumped the gun" so to speak.

Kel

Re: Student wears bullet proof vest to school.... - 10/22/07 10:05 AM

the best thing would be to find a way to treat him, but I am not sure that it would be possible to jsut walk up to him and ask him to commit himself for a long treatment.

the past few school shootings have been horrific, and nobody has used an AK-47 - I would hate to think what this guy could have done. so, frankly, I have no problem restricting his movements for a while until it is clear he isn't a threat.

Re: Student wears bullet proof vest to school.... - 10/22/07 02:05 PM

Globetrotter,

I found this:

the u.s. secret service developed a profile of school shootings and shooters after evaluating 41 school shooters who participated in 37 incidents.
they found that most attacks were neither spontaneous or impulsive. shooters typically developed a plan of attack long before , more than half had considered the attack for two weeks or more, and had a plan for at least 2 days. the attackers gave off warning signs prior to the event, bizarre behavior noticed by fellow students, school officials. threats were communicated in more than 3/4 of the incidents, and in more than 1/2 of the incidents the attacker told at least one person. some people knew detailed information, while others knew "something spectacular" was going to occur on a particular date. in less than 1/4 of the cases a direct threat was made to the target. shooters came from a wide variety of family backgrounds. many had feelings of being extremely depressed, or desperate. 2/3 of the attackers described feeling persecuted,more than 3/4 were known to feel threatened or hold a grievance (real or imagined) and more than 3/4 had difficulties coping with a major change in relationship, such as the loss of a loved one, a lost love, or humiliating failure. not suprisingly, most shooters had experience with guns and weapons, and had access to them at home. (juvenile deliquency/8th edition/siegel/welsh/senna.)

I guess since he has been charged, part of an agreement could be that he undertake some type of counseling....

Kel

Re: Student wears bullet proof vest to school.... - 10/22/07 03:06 PM

thanks. that makes sense.
Posted by: yuanofkienninja

Re: Student wears bullet proof vest to school.... - 02/23/08 12:09 AM

It is very difficult these days to make a decent or even remotely well informed judgment concerning young people and their interests and behaviors. I live in a sparsely populated rural area, and most of the kids here own or have easy access to semi-auto high powered rifles and there is at least one 12 gauge in most of the homes here. Lot's of 9mm and .45 too. Most of them are gun nuts due to their love of deer hunting if for no other reason. The vest in school is indeed a red flag in my opinion. The ownership of a couple of semi-autos doesn't mean jack. The taser is just something cool for the kid to own, and the clear-out (especially if it was empty) doesn't mean crap-all either. However...(sigh) There have been a butt-load of school and university shootings recently. Ultimately it is better to be safe than sorry. As far as taking a calculated approach to defeating body armor... Ever thought about how hard it would be to reverse punch the solar plexus through body armor? Or pull off one of those cool kenpo flurries on a fully kitted up soldier complete with cup, rifle, jacket(armor), helmet and steel toes? Let's here it for arnis, judo, and krav maga. Maybe budo taijutsu? Tiring trying to figure out the right " blend" for the highest percentage of situations you are likely to encounter isn't it?
Posted by: Bushi_no_ki

Re: Student wears bullet proof vest to school.... - 02/23/08 09:18 PM

yuan, we're not supposed to wear steel-toes to combat. The steel plating becomes a shrapnel hazard in an explosion. One of my Drill Sergeants knew someone who was killed by a toe popper mine because of the steel plating. He would have lived, albeit sans foot.
Posted by: yuanofkienninja

Re: Student wears bullet proof vest to school.... - 02/24/08 10:09 PM

Well, obviously I'm no soldier, but it is an interesting mental exercise given the VERY unstable state of affairs in the world today to try and figure out the best way to attempt to defeat things like body armor and helmets with "environmental" weapons. A judiciously applied brick, rock, or staff-like piece of wood used with the three S's in mind (speed, surprise, savagery) would be my best chance and even then the downed soldier's teammates are likely going to turn me into swiss cheese so I'm hopin' all this stays in the realm of mental masturbation. Hope I haven't come off too radical or weird here. Just war-gaming in my head.
Posted by: wristtwister

Re: Student wears bullet proof vest to school.... - 02/26/08 10:23 PM

The problem we have with this kind of situation today is that we're warning people to be wary of gang activity on one hand, practice self-defense, and then when somebody takes pro-active action, we want to lock them up.

Would I be alarmed if a kid showed up in body armor?... sure... but not because he's in the body armor, I would be alarmed that he felt the need to protect himself in that way... but you can look at the university shootings and see that as long as "perfect storm" situations like that exist, we will have people doing bizarre things to prepare for it... on both sides of the coin. The shooters want to rehearse, and those that are scared out of their wits want to "train to be safe". Determining which ones are which isn't all that easy.

I'm an ex-LEO, and I know how confusing situations like that can get... but the law enforcement community will try to err on the side of safety... even to the point of hanging the innocent if they suspect that someone is "preparing to do something" like the Columbine shootings.

Unfortunately, bizzare behavior is a clue to how someone will act in the future... so this was probably a good move. Whether or not the kid was planning something "desperate" or not, we may never know... but law enforcement has certainly over-reacted if he's being prosecuted for wearing body armor. Weapons on school grounds are a felony in most states, but it's hard to classify body armor as a weapon...

Where he went off the reservation, was when he used the newspaper box as a target and started making explosive devices. Those are not "defensive" in any manner... so the law enforcement people were well withing guidelines to charge him.

Simply owning guns doesn't make anybody a criminal... and even the "unjudicious" use of them sometimes doesn't mean they have criminal intent... but the explosive devices, and reckless destruction of other people's property is the start down the wrong road toward tragedy... even if simply from negligence or inexperience with explosives.

When I was growing up, drugs were very seldom a problem... but in a culture where they are commonplace, someone getting high and doing something stupid with a gun is always a possibility... which is why they ask questions about drug use on the purchase forms. Of course somebody is going to lie if they are using drugs and buying guns, but it's one of the tools of law enforcement to put them off the "clear sales" list to buy a gun.

This kid will end up with a felony record that will follow him all his life. Sure hope he thought it was worth it... if he wanted attention, he got it...

Posted by: Fletch1

Re: Student wears bullet proof vest to school.... - 02/26/08 11:15 PM

Quote:

The problem we have with this kind of situation today is that we're warning people to be wary of gang activity on one hand, practice self-defense, and then when somebody takes pro-active action, we want to lock them up.

Yikes! Where do I start with this? First of all, I don't buy his self protection story and after his other reason for wearing it..."it looked cool", I don't think anyone else does either.

Quote:

Would I be alarmed if a kid showed up in body armor?... sure... but not because he's in the body armor, I would be alarmed that he felt the need to protect himself in that way... but you can look at the university shootings and see that as long as "perfect storm" situations like that exist, we will have people doing bizarre things to prepare for it... on both sides of the coin. The shooters want to rehearse, and those that are scared out of their wits want to "train to be safe". Determining which ones are which isn't all that easy..

As an active duty LEO who teaches Active Shooter response, I can say that in light of recent and current events, a kid showing up wearing a ballistic vest would be justifiably be viewed as an obvious threat as in... what is he planning on doing or what does he know that noone else does about what is going to happen today?

Quote:

I'm an ex-LEO, and I know how confusing situations like that can get... but the law enforcement community will try to err on the side of safety... even to the point of hanging the innocent if they suspect that someone is "preparing to do something" like the Columbine shootings..

It is not reasonable or prudent to dismiss the reality of these threats. The term "Clear and present danger" comes to mind. You cannot say "bomb" in an airport without consequences. That is not considered "over reacting" on the part of the airport cops and TSA when they take "sure and immediate control" of you and see that you are detained and/or prosecuted.

Quote:

Unfortunately, bizzare behavior is a clue to how someone will act in the future... so this was probably a good move. Whether or not the kid was planning something "desperate" or not, we may never know... but law enforcement has certainly over-reacted if he's being prosecuted for wearing body armor. Weapons on school grounds are a felony in most states, but it's hard to classify body armor as a weapon...

If the ballistic vest does not meet the statutory definition of weapon, you can be pretty sure that the vest was not the item that justifies the charge. His can of clear out/ tear gas, even empty, qualifies as a weapon on school grounds especially based on it's capabilities in a crowded school. The can being empty means little more than a gun being empty.

Re: Student wears bullet proof vest to school.... - 02/27/08 08:51 AM

Fletch is correct reference his assertion there was no charge concerning the body armor.

It was merely used as an indication that a crime possibly was going to be committed; thus allowing an officer(s) to conduct an investigation.

Plus, as an aside to what Fletch is asserting, one particular oddity or strange occurrence does not always mean very much, but, when taken in their entirety, all these things added up to a situation where a more complete investigation was warranted.

Just think, there are several indications that something strange is going on and no one initiates an investigation...then something happens.

There is going to be a whole bunch of people second guessing why nothing was done.

K

Re: Student wears bullet proof vest to school.... - 02/28/08 05:53 PM

A few years ago in my town, we had a group of kids get busted for plotting a Columbine type incident. It was a group of outcast/ Goth type kids who had all kinds of doom fantasy ideas. One of their little brothers overheard them talking about bringing a bomb to school and shooting people and told the school officials.

A search warrant revealed bomb making plans on their computer harddrive at home and hand drawn schematics of the school. there is more to it but essentially they were convicted on some sort of conspiracy charge and served an extended probation with very little incarceration time.

It made the media circles of course and people came out on both sides of the issue in the comment blogs and letters to the editor. Some felt that the kids should have been locked up forever and others felt that it was blown all out of proportion because "they were just kids, afterall".

Some people were very certain that in spite of everything that was learned after Columbine, that the "rights" of these kids to express themselves without consequences even in this way, was more important than the collective safety of all the other children (afterall, they wouldn't have REALLY done anything. They are just being dumb kids.).

It was an interesting time. Law enforcement doesn't usually get to take credit for preventing tragedy but this time it did. It was pretty obvious that if left unchecked, something horrible probably would have happened. Luckily, people paid attention and realized that "probably" can be read with a high level certainty when your kids are at stake. Clear and present danger indeed.
Posted by: wristtwister

Re: Student wears bullet proof vest to school.... - 02/28/08 08:31 PM

Fletch, I don't really disagree with you about any of that... but look at it another way as well. My son got into a tiff at school (years ago), and when I showed up at the principal's office, the teacher was sitting there with mace on her keychain...
Quote:

His can of clear out/ tear gas, even empty, qualifies as a weapon on school grounds especially based on it's capabilities in a crowded school. The can being empty means little more than a gun being empty.

That is why I often question the idea that only students pose a threat at a school.

I agree that he probably thought he looked cool wearing the flak jacket, but body armor won't protect you from mace or pepper spray... so the "fix" didn't fit the problem... especially if he was the one with the tear gas.

Re: Student wears bullet proof vest to school.... - 02/28/08 10:28 PM

I think what we are not connecting with here is the totality of the circumstances which include the emotional climate of the community after numerous active shooter incidents (five notable ones in the USA in just this month of February). Like it or not, it shapes the lives and beliefs of many people and becomes part of the circumstances and consequences of those that choose to liken themselves to those who would go to a school or gathering place with a weapon for evil purposes.

Notre Dame Elementary shooting Portsmouth, Ohio, United States February 7, 2008

Louisiana Technical College shooting Baton Rouge, Louisiana, United States February 8, 2008

Mitchell High School shooting Memphis, Tennessee, United States February 11, 2008

E.O. Green School shooting Oxnard, California, United States February 12, 2008

Northern Illinois University shooting DeKalb, Illinois, United States February 14, 2008

Re: Student wears bullet proof vest to school.... - 02/29/08 08:00 AM

As for the teachers key ring? I personally think it sets a bad example but a miniature can of pepper spray on a key ring can hardly be compared to an OC/CS grenade (Clear-out) designed to disperse jail riots and flush drug dealers on search warrants.

I am an instructor under the company that makes Clear-Out. It is potent stuff.

Re: Student wears bullet proof vest to school.... - 02/29/08 08:35 AM

To comment further:

The schoolboard where I was a resource officer has just terminated the employment of a teacher who had a firearm in his vehicle in the parking lot.

The schoolboard sees any weapon, unless in the possession of a LEO as a threat and will file charges and/or terminate.

He was also charged with possession/firearm at the behest of the schoolboard.

K

If that teacher was in my school district there would have been consequences reference the mace...
K

Re: Student wears bullet proof vest to school.... - 02/29/08 10:57 AM

when I was about 10, I moved from a place that was very big on hunting to an urban center. my old middle school had had a rifle range on premises. I asked my new principal if they had a rifle range or team, and he totally freaked out, basically saying that any weapons of any kind were grounds for suspention. as a 10 year old from a hunting community, I thought it strange. and an urban adult, I think that it is perfectly normal and correct behavior.

I do not think that it is a good thing to encourage or accept kids to collect weapons or think that they are cool. period. for a teenager to have these types of weapons, to me, is an indication of poor parenting. by the way, I collected innapropriate weapons as a kid, and I believe it wa a weakness in the parenting of my parents, too.

Re: Student wears bullet proof vest to school.... - 02/29/08 01:00 PM

I disagree globetrotter (altho you certainly have a right to your opinion).

I think that ANYTHING a child is allowed to do irresponsibly or without restraint (read: parental guidance) is a weakness that can turn into a detractor as the child gets older and matures into an adult.

Weapons or anything else can be used in an irresponsible way.

I do agree however that it is the responsiblity of the parents to provide guidance (whatever the issue is at hand).

Kel