Self defense against the cops

Posted by: ExCon

Self defense against the cops - 06/24/07 10:33 PM

In the United States, as many as 80 percent of suspects waive their rights to silence and counsel, allowing police to conduct a full-scale interrogation in order to get a confession.

Why are confessions so important to the police? It is simply this: cops are stupid and lazy, and they see confessions as a quick way to solve a crime. It saves lazy cops the hassle of actually doing police work (things like searching for genuine physical evidence or interviewing potential witnesses etc). A quick confession leaves more time for coffee and donuts.

Here are a couple of links on interrogation techniques

http://www.fortunecity.com/meltingpot/niger/1143/interog.html

http://people.howstuffworks.com/police-interrogation.htm

Now that you know what to expect from the cops, remember the five techniques of surviving a police interrogation (without confessing)

• Remain silent.
• Remain silent.
• Imagine the words "I invoke my right to remain silent" painted on the wall, and stare at them throughout the interrogation.
• Momentarily break your silence to ask for counsel.
• Cultivate hatred for your interrogator so you don't fall into his traps and start talking.
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: Self defense against the cops - 06/24/07 11:50 PM

Yeah, because cops aren't here to serve and protect. If you don't trust them, who's looking out for you? I mean, your taxes are paying for the service they give. Treat a cop bad and you'll be treated bad in return. Sure, don't confess to anything you've not done but being cooperative could save you a whole boatload of hassle.

Brainwashing yourself to believe that all cops are out to get you is probably not the best idea in the world.

Re: Self defense against the cops - 06/25/07 12:55 AM

Quote:

Yeah, because cops aren't here to serve and protect.

That’s right; it’s a myth that the police are there to protect citizens.

Read the truth here

Re: Self defense against the cops - 06/25/07 01:07 AM

Quote:

Police have no legal duty to respond and prevent crime or protect the victim. There have BEEN OVER 10 various supreme and state court cases the individual has never won. Notably, the Supreme Court STATED about the responsibility of police for the security of your family and loved ones is "You, and only you, are responsible for your security and the security of your family and loved ones. That was the essence of a U.S. Supreme Court decision in the early 1980's when they ruled that the police do not have a duty to protect you as an individual, but to protect society as a whole."

Read more here.

Re: Self defense against the cops - 06/25/07 03:01 AM

Quote:

the police do not have a duty to protect you as an individual, but to protect society as a whole.

Exactly what I'm talking about. The police serve and protect society as a whole. They do so by enforcing the rule of law, without which, we would still be in the middle ages, significantly worse off than we are today. Without laws, peoples' rights can not be maintained.

I would argue that policing is a natural consequence of democracy; wherein people eventually realise that through contract ethics, we need an organisation to enforce commonly accepted rules of conduct called laws. As such, policing is a natural function of any state where individual liberties are protected and government is chosen by vote. In other systems, military rule enforces law; be it from the Knights of feudal systems or some such other military force. The alternatives to policing are, in my opinion, far worse.

Policing is a tough job; one which I would not like to undertake personally. Police, naturally, are not the best loved people in the world and they get a lot of crap treatment from people daily. Hence, you're likely to be treated better if you are cooperative without incriminating yourself in any way. Naturally, the first thing you should do is ask to speak to your lawyer, but doing so without aggravating a situation can cause you no harm.

Note, I am not a US citizen or resident, nor am I well acquainted with US criminal law and police procedures.

Interestingly, in many countries, people don't even have as many rights regarding their interactions with the police as you do over in the states. In Singapore, for example, you'd be entitled to much less in terms of your treatment by law enforcement officers.

Re: Self defense against the cops - 06/25/07 07:15 AM

The purpose of any police force is to protect the status quo i.e. those in power.

But that’s another thread; this thread is how to conduct yourself in a police interrogation. Try to stay on topic!
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Self defense against the cops - 06/25/07 09:23 AM

ExCon -

I have to admit that as someone with friends and family in the LEO field, that I disagree with the notion that all police are stupid and lazy, or otherwise immoral.

And if you think that police officers have free rein to do whatever they want, you are mistaken there as well. They are mostly watched VERY CLOSELY by superior officers and Internal Affairs for any offenses which would harm the department. I assure you that those IA reviews are no joke, and a siginificant (and LONG TERM) hassle for the officers involved. Few officers are going to willingly incur that kind of treatment.

I am not disagreeing that there are bad apples - like in any other occupation. But many police do genuinely care about serving their community.

Re: Self defense against the cops - 06/25/07 03:53 PM

Officers are human too. Treating them like they're some embodiment of big brother, in my opinion, isn't the smartest idea in the world.

Re: Self defense against the cops - 06/26/07 10:53 PM

I hope all you people who are concerned about the coercive power of the state have followed the links. You lap dogs can keep licking the hand that beats you.
Posted by: shadowkahn

Re: Self defense against the cops - 06/27/07 12:16 PM

It really doesn't matter if the cops are good or evil for the purposes of this discussion. It's incredibly stupid to run your mouth when in the hands of law enforcement, even if you've got the nicest cop on the planet. The cop is basically gonna lock you away and then the district attorney is going to step in and decide whether or not to prosecute you. If you talk freely, you might say something that circumstantially points to you being guilty - - and if that happens you might find yourself on trial.

If the cop is detaining you for ANY reason, do not say ANYTHING except your name and address, until you have a lawyer present.

It's important here to note that the cop does not have to put handcuffs on you or put you in the back of a squad car in order to arrest you. If the cop says you can't leave, you are under arrest, even if you're not wearing the government-issued bracelets. Whether you're under arrest or not, you do not have to answer the cop's questions - that protection doesn't just start when he Mirandizes you.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Self defense against the cops - 06/27/07 12:35 PM

Quote:

I hope all you people who are concerned about the coercive power of the state have followed the links. You lap dogs can keep licking the hand that beats you.

Ok brother, methinks thou doth protest too much.

The links are an interesting, if very tilted and inflammatory read. By the logic of the articles, police could be thought to be even more heroic, as they have no duty to protect you - but they very often do so anyway.

While disturbing, the Gonzales case would seem to be the exception and not the norm. I have personally witnessed police officers helping their fellow citizens many times.

The ruling from the courts actually seem to be common sense to me, in this litigious age we live in. There are far less police than the general population. There is no way they can possibly protect everyone, all the time. This does not always make them lazy or careless. It is simple mathematics.

To have them legally obligated to protect everyone, all the time, would result in never-ending lawsuits that would probably end police assistance as we know it. Not a great option, really.
Posted by: wristtwister

Re: Self defense against the cops - 07/01/07 04:24 PM

I find this whole thread offensive as hell.

I was a cop, and while I was a cop, I did my job. I didn't have any agendas, didn't beat people, and followed the law. Now it Pi$$ed off a whole lot of people who were selling drugs, running prostitutes, and trying to escape from jail... but I'm just sorry as I can be... I did what was necessary to keep the law intact and to keep people that were put in jail where they needed to be.

ExCon's depiction of the police is exactly what I got from everybody in jail. The cops were "doing something to them" and they were all "innocent victims" of the police...

Why not talk about some of the victims of these "elite citizens" we have had in jail... drug dealers, burglars, thieves of all kinds... and then the killers... like the guy I had who killed two people by beating them to death with a claw hammer. Outstanding citizens...

Those of us who actually respect the law, its enforcement, and don't go through life looking for ways to get around it most likely won't have any legal problems. That doesn't make you a "lap dog", just somebody that thinks society is better when people act like they should, and treat their fellow citizens with the same kind of respect they want people to show them.

I don't steal my neighbor's stuff... I don't sell his kids drugs... and I don't beat him up to pay for my stuff... Call me crazy, but if you don't think that way, you wouldn't be having all these issues with "the police".

Posted by: eyrie

Re: Self defense against the cops - 07/01/07 10:29 PM

With a user handle like that, it certainly doesn't help your case... ExCon

I think what you're trying to say is "Bottom line - know your rights". If you're innocent, you have nothing to fear, but make sure you get a damn good lawyer. If you're guilty as hell, keep your mouth shut and make sure you get a damn good lawyer.

Re: Self defense against the cops - 07/02/07 11:02 AM

Quote:

Canadian Legal Rights:

Here in Canada, you have the “RIGHT” upon arrest or investigation to speak with legal counsel. I would hope that all of us here on the forum are “good guys and gals” and it is because of this fact, that unlike the bad guys who know to keep their mouth shut, we feel that we have to justify our reasons for defending ourselves because we were “lawfully” defending ourselves, and did nothing wrong. This “want” to justify our actions is a slippery slope that “could” mean the difference between freedom or incarceration!!!!

Remember that during a physical confrontation, Survival Stress Reaction (SSR) may likely take effect. One of the effects of SSR is something known as Critical Stress Amnesia (CSA). After a critical incident, it is not uncommon for a person to only recall approx 30% of what happened in the first 24 hours; 50% in the following 48 hours; and 75-95 % in 72-100 hours. As one can appreciate, this recall challenge could cause problems in a court of law down the road.

It is because of these above noted issues that I recommend that if being investigated as a possible suspect, you only provide a statement through a lawyer as there are a couple of advantages in doing so:

• In Canada you can not be cross examined on a statement that has been prepared by your lawyer

• Most lawyers, not all, are familiar with CSA and as a result will wait the appropriate amount of time before conducting a thorough interview which will be provided to the police later on.

If I were asked by the police to provide a statement (either verbal or written) I would give the following reply:

“ Officer, due to the fact that I was faced with a physical attack that I could not reasonably walk and talk my way out of, I responded with that amount of force needed to reasonably defend myself given the totality of the circumstances that will come to light in your investigation. I know that you would like me to provide a statement as to my perception of threat and the actions that I took to defend myself, and I will be more than happy to do so. However, given the fact that I am being investigated as a possible suspect, I want to ensure that I protect myself from any legal consequences (both criminal and civil) that may flow from my self defence actions, and as such, I will provide a voluntary statement to you through my lawyer as soon as possible.”

I believe that the above noted preamble is respectful and also sends a message that you will co-operate with police. I can only speak for LEO’s in my jurisdiction, and as such, I believe most would be very respectful and understanding of your legal concerns.

Remember, you may live by the sword, but you are judged by the pen. Although Shakespeare stated, “kill all the lawyers first”, a lawyer may be your best friend if being investigated by police for a self-defence action.

Darren

http://www.personalprotectionsystems.ca/Legal%20rights.doc

Re: Self defense against the cops - 07/02/07 06:47 PM

From Justice Talking

Quote:

Overview

Today’s police interrogation methods were developed to replace more brutal tactics of extracting confessions. While many hail the progress, others point to the lying, manipulation and verbal harassment that are all an accepted part of the interrogation process. The outcome, critics say, is a growing number of false confessions, especially among juveniles. Should interrogations or confessions be video taped? Should certain coercive practices be stopped or would we simply be straight-jacketing law enforcement and jeopardizing public safety?

Guests

John Timoney
currently Chief of Police of the Miami Police Department, has had a long and distinguished career in law enforcement. Beginning in 1969, as a rookie officer in New York City, Timoney rose through the ranks gaining a wealth of experience in the department’s Organized Crime Control Bureau, Chief of Department’s Office, Investigation and Review Section, the Office of Management Analysis and Planning and, ultimately, was appointed First Deputy Commissioner. He served four years as Police Commissioner for the city of Philadelphia, commanding a diverse force of 7000 officers. Prior to his appointment in Miami, he served as the CEO for Beau Dietl & Associates.

Peter Neufeld co-founded and directs the Innocence Project at the Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law. He is the co-author of Actual Innocence: Five Days to Execution, and Other Dispatches From the Wrongly Convicted. In 1988, Peter became involved in studying and litigating issues concerning the use of forensic DNA testing. His work not only shaped the course of U.S. case law but helped lead to an influential study by the National Academy of Sciences on forensic DNA testing, as well as legislation setting standards for the use of DNA testing. Neufeld serves as a member of the New York State's Commission on Forensic Science.

Listen to the full program here.
Posted by: Midnightcrawler

Re: Self defense against the cops - 07/03/07 03:20 PM

The problem seems to be that whilst the police officers who indulge in 'shall we say less than reputable practices', harm the whole police force in the longer term, they seem not to realise nor care about the fact.

As an example, many years ago I was traveling in a car with a chum of mine. The journey we had undertaken was being made at the behest of his father who's car we were in. We were both 19 at the time and the car in question was his fathers E type Jaguar.

My chum was stopped for overtaking a lorry (truck) on double white lines on a dead straight bit of road. The peculiar thing was. There was no lorry (there had been one but it had turned off in a different direction) and there were no white lines. It made no difference whatever to the police officer when we pointed these facts out and he took huge exception when I took out my cameras and started taking pictures. My chum was served with a 'notice of intended prosecution'. The following day, having got the pictures developed and printed (way before digital) we took the pictures along to the officers listed station and made an official protest. This made no difference whatever and my chum was prosecuted, subsequently convicted and paid a fine and had his license endorsed.

Strangely enough, the self same thing happened to myself on a different road and different vehicle (Heally 3000) some 18 months after the event above, but within the same county. I consider that at the time the local police force had some sort of objection to young blokes driving powerful cars.

From that day to this we both adopt the same attitude to the police. Don't have anything to do with them. If you see one in trouble tough, they are on their own. They put on the uniform and take the salary and pension, then they sort out their own problems. If I was to see one being assaulted then I walk the other way, that's getting one back for what happened to us. Nobody helps you or me do our job, so why should the police expect help in doing theirs?

Both the incidents were over 45 years ago but I can see those coppers face's as if it was yesterday. They managed to create animosity towards the police from two young blokes who hitherto would have gone out of their way to help out, and that created attitude has lasted a lifetime.

MC.
Posted by: jpoor

Re: Self defense against the cops - 07/03/07 03:26 PM

Quote:

The problem seems to be that whilst the police officers who indulge in 'shall we say less than reputable practices', harm the whole police force in the longer term, they seem not to realise nor care about the fact.

As an example, many years ago I was traveling in a car with a chum of mine. The journey we had undertaken was being made at the behest of his father who's car we were in. We were both 19 at the time and the car in question was his fathers E type Jaguar.

My chum was stopped for overtaking a lorry (truck) on double white lines on a dead straight bit of road. The peculiar thing was. There was no lorry (there had been one but it had turned off in a different direction) and there were no white lines. It made no difference whatever to the police officer when we pointed these facts out and he took huge exception when I took out my cameras and started taking pictures. My chum was served with a 'notice of intended prosecution'. The following day, having got the pictures developed and printed (way before digital) we took the pictures along to the officers listed station and made an official protest. This made no difference whatever and my chum was prosecuted, subsequently convicted and paid a fine and had his license endorsed.

Strangely enough, the self same thing happened to myself on a different road and different vehicle (Heally 3000) some 18 months after the event above, but within the same county. I consider that at the time the local police force had some sort of objection to young blokes driving powerful cars.

From that day to this we both adopt the same attitude to the police. Don't have anything to do with them. If you see one in trouble tough, they are on their own. They put on the uniform and take the salary and pension, then they sort out their own problems. If I was to see one being assaulted then I walk the other way, that's getting one back for what happened to us. Nobody helps you or me do our job, so why should the police expect help in doing theirs?

Both the incidents were over 45 years ago but I can see those coppers face's as if it was yesterday. They managed to create animosity towards the police from two young blokes who hitherto would have gone out of their way to help out, and that created attitude has lasted a lifetime.

MC.

Wow, do you write off every member of any group when you come across the proverbial bad apple that just so happens to be a member?

Ever meet a bad/mean/bully MA-ist? Better not have anything to do with the rest of us then.

Ever meet an unethical doctor? Better learn medicine and avoid them.

Ever meet a female who was deceptive and manipulative?

How about a male?

How far can we take this stupidity? Pretty far it seems.

Get the point?

Re: Self defense against the cops - 07/03/07 06:17 PM

Quote:

Wow, do you write off every member of any group when you come across the proverbial bad apple that just so happens to be a member?

Ever meet a bad/mean/bully MA-ist? Better not have anything to do with the rest of us then.

Ever meet an unethical doctor? Better learn medicine and avoid them.

Ever meet a female who was deceptive and manipulative?

How about a male?

How far can we take this stupidity? Pretty far it seems.

Get the point?

jpoor,

Do I write off a whole group? If necessary.

"Ever meet a bad/mean/bully Ma'ist?" Yes and having done so, ceased any contact with them. If that meant changing training organisations, then fine, so be it.

"Ever meet an unethical doctor?" Not yet. If I do I'll change doctors.

"Ever meet a female who was deceptive and manipulative?" Isn't that her job description? Avoid like the plague, treat her in the same way or stand up to her. Ask my missus.

"How about a male?" Terminate any relationship with the aforesaid male. Change jobs, Golf Club, Gym, Lodge or whatever other type of organisation occasions the contact.

"How far can we take this stupidity? Pretty far it seems". Why is it stupid? With all of the above examples there are alternatives, therefore you (or I) can exercise our judgement and opt for any of those available alternatives. Every country has its police force, and the funny thing is that there is only one in each country and it is self regulating. Don't you find that very odd? Therefore, you do not have any alternative law enforcement body to turn to. In other words 'it's a monopoly'. Just because it exists as a functioning entity does not mean that I 'or anyone else' have to enthuse over it or render it assistance. I think that given the experience my chum and I had in or late teens (a point in life where many opinions are formed) the police officers who were then serving could have applied the maxim of 'do as you would be done by'. Recently in the UK there has been a government report which in its findings found the UK police to be and I quote "Institutionally racist". I would venture say that additionally they are also 'institutionally against young blokes driving powerful motor cars as well', as the situation my chum and I found ourselves in continues to this day.

"Get the point"? Sure I get the point. The question is do you? Part and parcel of the deterioration of society as we know it is down to the police treating youngsters with suspicion and as second class citizens. It therefore cannot be coincidental that a significant proportion of young people treat the police force with less than respect and in some instances with contempt, as they have formed their opinions based upon their experience, in the same way that my chum and I have. It may also be helpful if those said police officers realised that the young people they seem to have this downer on are in fact tax payers, and if it wasn't for them, the police wouldn't be paid. Before you go and say 'ah yes but the police pay taxes too' you're right they are but, there are more tax payers employed in private enterprise than in the public sector. So it might behove the police to remember their job is to protect, not persecute, and the man who pays the money calls the tune.

MC.
Posted by: jpoor

Re: Self defense against the cops - 07/03/07 06:25 PM

So, a few bad cops mean they are all bad, but a few bad members of any other group only means that the specific few are bad?

And, if you look at the differences and even "rivalries" between city, county, state and federal LE organizations, you'll not be able to call it a "monopoly" either.

Re: Self defense against the cops - 07/03/07 06:51 PM

Quote:

So, a few bad cops mean they are all bad, but a few bad members of any other group only means that the specific few are bad?

And, if you look at the differences and even "rivalries" between city, county, state and federal LE organizations, you'll not be able to call it a "monopoly" either.

1/ So, a few bad cops mean they are all bad, but a few bad members of any other group only means that the specific few are bad?

No it means that with other organisations you can take your 'custom' elsewhere.

2/ And, if you look at the differences and even "rivalries" between city, county, state and federal LE organizations, you'll not be able to call it a "monopoly" either.

OK let's call it an oligopolistic situation then from the US perspective. In the UK there are no such rivalries. There will be however, if the European Union lords and masters have their way. Or perhaps I should say 'if the UK politicians are stupid enough to let them.

There is already too much interference in peoples lives, the last thing we need is more.

MC.

Re: Self defense against the cops - 07/03/07 09:13 PM

From Wikipedia

Quote:

The notion that police are primarily concerned with enforcing criminal law was popularized in the 1930s with the rise of the Federal Bureau of Investigation as the pre-eminent "law enforcement agency" in the United States; this however has only ever constituted a small portion of policing activity.[6] Policing has included an array of activities in different contexts, but the predominant ones are concerned with order maintenance and the provision of services.[7]

[6]^ Walker, Samuel (1977). A Critical History of Police Reform: The Emergence of Professionalism. Lexington, MT: Lexington Books, 143. ISBN.

[7]^ Neocleous, Mark (2004). Fabricating Social Order: A Critical History of Police Power. London: Pluto Press, 93-94. ISBN