Opsec/ information on the web

Posted by: Bushi_no_ki

Opsec/ information on the web - 05/31/07 10:25 AM

It has been something on my mind alot, that I have to be careful what I post on the web, as this is an open forum and anyone can see what I say. I know we discuss alot of individual cases here, and the outcomes of how LE/military handle themselves, as well as alot of the H2H training done, but I've really had to think about posting things such as the weapons I train on and their capabilities. Lately I've been playing more cautiously with that, as I don't know for sure when some of the info I know is FOUO. I mean, the last thing I need is to be the one who got on here and posted a bunch of info on one of our combat vehicles that was actually classified, a terrorist get a hold of that info, and then kill 14 soldiers in Iraq with it. I just heard about a soldier down range who just got into trouble for that, and all he was showing was some pictures of himself and some friends standing next to a vehicle. It wasn't just any vehicle, I can say that much.

It seems to me that there would be similar application on the LE side of things as well. The wrong piece of info can spoil an investigation or court case.

Forgive my rambling a little bit, but I just felt I needed some perspective on the issue outside my own.
Posted by: Fletch1

Re: Opsec/ information on the web - 05/31/07 10:00 PM

There are things that I generally will not discuss in detail on the internet. Police Tactics for Counter-Firearm and weapon retention are two just off the top of my head.

Without knowing who my audience is, I do not feel comfortable going into things that I teach behind closed doors with LE/Mil.
Posted by: harlan

Re: Opsec/ information on the web - 06/01/07 10:10 AM

I think this is one of the reasons why MAists are moving from public forums, to private/invite only forums. Perhaps there is one 'out there' for Bushi?

Quote:

Without knowing who my audience is, I do not feel comfortable going into things that I teach behind closed doors with LE/Mil.

Posted by: jpoor

Re: Opsec/ information on the web - 06/01/07 10:10 AM

It's always best to be cautious. Little pieces get put together to make a whole picture.

Another thing to remember is that just because a piece of information is "out there" for all to read, does not mean that it is no longer classified. That's one reason the standard answer is "I can neither confirm nor deny."

Re: Opsec/ information on the web - 06/01/07 11:53 PM

Good answer, Jim. Harlan, I don't want another forum. I like this one. I like you guys, I've learned too much from you to move on . I guess I will have to go with the "I can neither confirm nor deny" answer.
Posted by: kman

Re: Opsec/ information on the web - 06/02/07 09:08 AM

Bushi, Our S-2 states again and again that the bad guys get the vast majority of their intel from the web. IE pics sof guys and vehicles, weapons, locations and BDA. You wouldnt believe how difficult it is to get it through joes thick skull. K-

Re: Opsec/ information on the web - 06/02/07 05:18 PM

I know, kman, I've sat through the Opsec briefing 3 times here at Ft. Carson, and they still have cases of joes posting things on the internet they shouldn't. I've been very careful about it, not posting anything in detail unless I know it's all over the military news, which means it is easily available to the gp. I've just had a few times, here and on other sites, where being able to post something I'm knowledgeable about would have made the post that much better, but I didn't as that post could have been an Opsec violation.