Using Chokes on Duty

Posted by: Glockmeister

Using Chokes on Duty - 01/25/07 01:38 PM

Last Sunday I had a situation where a mentally ill inmate was being uncooperative and eventually I needed to take him to the floor, he was in an open, low security area where there were no cells and I had no immediate back-up there, I used an Osoto Gari to take him down and got him over onto his back. He put both hands on the floor and attampted to get back up and I instinctively got on him and slapped a rear naked choke on him and squeezed untill he stopped resisting, got my knee on his back and called for back up and cuffed him. I got to thinking, I had the thought of choking him all the way out but then thought better of it since I had a couple of reservations about putting him all the way out. For one, At that point I got control of the situation, two, he was on various medications and I wasn't sure if there would be any danger to him if he was compleatly choked out to the point of uncounciousness while taking all these meds since I wasn't sure if they affected his blood pressure, etc. Also, I was unsure if after being choked all the way out a perp will kind of "come-to" on his own or if he needs to be revived and it may have been more trouble than it was worth.
Any thoughts? Anyone here have to choke a person out either on-duty or in self defense situation?
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Using Chokes on Duty - 01/25/07 01:46 PM

Never had to use one professionally. Glad to hear that you weren't hurt. I know there are several LEO's on the forum that can give you better insight than me.
Posted by: schanne

Re: Using Chokes on Duty - 01/25/07 04:51 PM

Yes, the same technique. Happened years ago in a club with no room to brawl or fight. Not going into details but it was very quick and painless. The technique back then was called "the sleeper", rear naked choke is pretty much new terminology.

Re: Using Chokes on Duty - 01/25/07 07:12 PM

Did he need to be revived or did he eventually "wake up"?
Posted by: kman

Re: Using Chokes on Duty - 01/30/07 04:28 PM

In many jurisdictions, any and all "choking" has been equated with lethal force. Thanks to the lawyers. Many employers and agencies have banned all chokes, headlocks "neck restraint" of all types. It's a fast track to a law suit and a big settlement from your insurace carrier, regardless of how skilled you are and what the outcome is. LAPD had a rash of in custody deaths a while back and paved the way for this. Many employers will respond with summary dismissal for neck moves. The man on the street has more leeway since he's judged by the outcome as opposed to some imaginary standard.
There's a body of medical knowledge on the subject but the hard research is pretty old. Law enforcement trainers have responded by devloping a "carotid artery neck resraint" technique and a program of instruction to certify the officer, and trainers. It provides a legal defense against the liability issue. The actual techique is a slightly modified rear naked choke and a lot of awareness training as to the potential outcomes. Common sense to most and well below the skill level of a judo or jujitsu practioner, but nessessary. You be surprised at how little the average guy/cop might know about the anatomy of the neck, the theory of a "choke out" aand how easy it is to kill someone with an improperly applied technique. Some of those LAPD deaths involved a baton aumented choke applied to derranged or chemically impaired subject who literally killed himself struggling against the choke while the officer kept squeezing waiting for the technique to work.
I would suggest that you check with your employer well beforehand regarding policy on chokes. If they havent adressed before hand the answer is likely to be no. K-
Posted by: Fletch1

Re: Using Chokes on Duty - 01/30/07 11:11 PM

Remember, scenario dictates your tactics. If deadly force is justified, it is justified with a LVNR or a sledgehammer to the head. The issue of agencies "banning" techniques involving the neck is a political one but one that can negatively impact your career nonetheless.

Kansas City, MO has a specific program they teach in the LVNR that has done a lot to re-legitimize the tactic that has over the years been unfairly bashed.

In the case listed above, a neck restraint might not have been completely unreasonable as long as you could articulate that you were losing physical control of the suspect and could have suffered serious bodily injury had you not applied the technique. To argue this, experience and training are definitely your allies. You need to convince administrators that the "approved" list of tactics was inadequate and you were compelled to improvise with a technique that you have training in and can apply properly.
Posted by: globetrotter

Re: Using Chokes on Duty - 02/03/07 08:06 PM

I don't see that you had much choice, but going for the throat always strikes me as unpredictable - I hit a guy in the throat once on duty, with no permenant damage.

. once, in training, I put a naked rear hold on somebody who was maybe a foot taller than me, and maybe 100 pounds heavier, and he passed out immidiatly - I was holding him on the ground, and I was excited, and didn't realize that he passed out. I could have killed him by mistake.
Posted by: harold

Re: Using Chokes on Duty - 02/04/07 12:30 PM

kman said something to the effect that many suspects choked themselves as officers held on WAITING FOR THE TECHNIQUE TO WORK. Studies have shown that when a technique is applied, if it does not work right away, officers will escalate the force.This is the body's natural reaction. I am glad you came out o.k. but as someone else said, be sure to check your policy regarding this type of response and remember to document the use of the respective force in a way where you state the facts but do not wind up paying for it either criminally or as a defendant in a civil suit.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Using Chokes on Duty - 02/13/07 01:11 PM

The PD and Security depts here are against any technique above the collar bone or shoulders. Too many incidents of injuries due to chokes with the night stick or bare arms.

I use to teach a lapel choke and was advised that was illegal also, any technique dealing with the neck is to be avoided here.

The mentally ill and drug induce suspects are espeicailly hard to restrain, they have very high pain threshold and sometimes adrenalin fused strength. Sometimes if by yourself you have do what works and survive.
Posted by: jamesd

Re: Using Chokes on Duty - 02/25/07 01:17 PM

Hi Glockmeister,

I've used chokes on various occasions whilst working as a doorman but I've never had to use them whilst working as a Prison Officer, I'm not saying that I wouldn't use them because I would if the situation required it, you did what you thought was necessary at the time, no persons were hurt and it was justified, regards,

James.
Posted by: webby

Re: Using Chokes on Duty - 02/28/07 03:18 PM

i see that you used the choke in a goodway...he didnt pass out you had control but why not use a effective and saver lock such as a arm lock or wrist lock with does also cause a great deal of pain and will give you anoth time to cuff the unlucky feller....i understand that in a situation like that you do not have time to think what lock your going to do and so on and you did what came natraul to you..so well done.

Re: Using Chokes on Duty - 03/01/07 01:16 PM

Quote:

...i understand that in a situation like that you do not have time to think what lock your going to do and so on and you did what came natraul to you..so well done.

That's more or less the way it is. I saw the oppotunity present itself for a choke and went for it much the same way I would in BJJ class. The position i was in and the position he was in made the RNC the easiest submission move to use.
Posted by: Hapkid0ist

Re: Using Chokes on Duty - 07/03/07 02:31 AM

I could be wrong but if I remember correctly, a choke that is applied against the Adam's Apple/larynx is a felony in many states for the reason that it can cause severe harm or death. Yet a choke that is applied to the side of the neck cutting off blood flow or oxygen and proven not to cause damage to the throat the way the other choke can is not a felony and can be fought in court if need be. Though it is a frowned upon technique period, but if a civilian needed to use one then the safest bet is the latter.
Posted by: winterwarrior

Re: Using Chokes on Duty - 07/13/07 11:35 PM

the lapd had lethal results with the choke cause they used a baton reinforced choke. Not just the average choke. It was also found that over age 50 black males with smoking and alcohol have a pattern of their carotid artery sheaths not reopening after a choke is released
Posted by: Fletch1

Re: Using Chokes on Duty - 07/16/07 07:17 PM

Quote:

I could be wrong but if I remember correctly, a choke that is applied against the Adam's Apple/larynx is a felony in many states for the reason that it can cause severe harm or death. Yet a choke that is applied to the side of the neck cutting off blood flow or oxygen and proven not to cause damage to the throat the way the other choke can is not a felony and can be fought in court if need be. Though it is a frowned upon technique period, but if a civilian needed to use one then the safest bet is the latter.

Far too simplistic. The act itself cannot be labeled a felony unless it is defined in the proper context. Simply restraining the neck, sides or throat will not classify something as a felony by technique alone. This sounds like something perpetuated by a martial arts teacher.

If you attack someone and use a technique or maneuver that places the person in fear of imminent death or serious bodily injury, then that could be grounds for criminal charges of aggravated assault. If such techniques or moves actually result in death or serious bodily injury, then it could be considered aggravated battery if not some degree of homicide.

If you are attacked by someone else and are forced to defend yourself using said neck hold, the force used (based on the resulting injurious affect) must paralel the danger you are facing. If you seriously injure or kill someone, even after being attacked, you may be judged to have acted excessively....if your actions are believed to have been reckless, excessive and unreasonable based on what an average "reasonable" person might have done in that situation.
Posted by: Bushi_no_ki

Re: Using Chokes on Duty - 07/17/07 08:36 PM

See thread in the MA talk forum, that probably needs to be moved to here, about how "reasonable" people can be.
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: Using Chokes on Duty - 07/18/07 04:23 PM

I am far from expert in Police Science but I once, long ago attended a PR-24 training session, at a Bando summer camp, being taught by a Georgia State Trouper and qualified trainer.

He explained that Police Science had a long history of new answers to provide more humane control of subjects, and eventually each one turned fatal and was abandoned.

He discussed how the choke was thought to be a more humane way to control a subject than busting them over the head with a billy club. The correct choke can put someone out in 6 seconds because the pressure on the carotid sinus causes the heart to belive blood pressure jumped up and stops the heart beating to lower the blood pressure, and lack of blood causes the unconsciousness. But they forgot the human equation. A Police Officer trying to subdue someone is probably in a life threatening situation, the person may well have been trying to kill, maim or break the officer, and with their adrenilan up they won't release the choke, and that can kill. So Choking became another tactic to discard in Police Science.

Now one can talk about lawyers, but Police Officers truly aren't into killing people, even if by momentary mistake. The control was probably a combination of law (legislators concern), lawsuits (in part) and a search for a more intelligent control method.

The answer at that time was the 'correct' use of the PR-24 (the police version of the tonfa).

Unfortunately there are not simple answers.
Posted by: winterwarrior

Re: Using Chokes on Duty - 08/08/07 08:35 PM

the difference is in chokes vs strangles, strangles restrict the larynx, chokes restrict the side of the neck areas. Skill is also a factor.