Deputy Injured- Good friend of mine

Posted by: Fletch1

Deputy Injured- Good friend of mine - 12/05/06 07:47 PM

www.naplesnews.com

Originally published — 1:45 p.m., December 5, 2006
Updated — 5:03 p.m., December 5, 2006

A Collier County sheriff’s deputy suffered serious injuries when a vehicle hit him at about 12:30 p.m. today near the intersection of U.S. 41 and Collier Boulevard, said Greg Speers, an East Naples fire spokesman.

Cpl. Bill Pschigoda, 41, a 21-year veteran of the Sheriff's office, was airlifted to Lee Memorial Hospital.

Photo by Lexey Swall

A Collier County Sheriff's officer looks into the car driven by Jesus Moreno, 21, 4210 Washington Lane #101, Naples, that was involved in a high-speed chase that injured a deputy.
Another deputy was trying to pull over a Jesus Moreno, 21, 4210 Washington Lane #101, Naples, on Collier Boulevard on suspicion of reckless driving, according to Sheriff office reports. Moreno didn’t stop, running three red lights as he headed south on Collier Boulevard toward Marco Island. Deputies deployed stop sticks to deflated the tires near the intersection of U.S. 41 and Collier Boulevard.

The suspect swerved around the stop sticks and hit Cpl. Pschigoda who was standing on the side of the road.

Pschigoda started with the Sheriff’s Office in 1985 as a dispatcher. He went to the road patrol in 988 and worked on Marco Island, in the marine unit and in East Naples, where he is currently assigned. He was promoted to corporal in1999.

Cpl. Pschigoda has been awarded several Lifesaving Awards during his career.

The chase continued on U.S. 41 toward Naples with deputies in pursuit.

"The whole length of 41 he was speeding recklessly and deputies were still pursuing him," said Kristin Adams, a Collier County Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman.

At the intersection of U.S. 41 and Airport-Pulling Road, the fleeing suspect hit another car, causing a minor accident, and headed north on Airport. At the entrance to Heron Park Apartments, a sheriff’s deputy driving an SUV rammed the suspect’s driver’s side door.

Moreno tried to flee on foot said the Sheriff's office.

Jesus Moreno, 21, 4210 Washington Lane #101, Naples
"They followed and used a taser to get him under control," Adams said.

Moreno was transported to an area hospital. His name was being withheld.

The Florida Highway Patrol and Sheriff’s Office are both working the case.

Check back at naplesnews.com and bonitanews.com for more updates on this story.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Deputy Injured- Good friend of mine - 12/05/06 10:24 PM

That sucks Fletch. Any word on how he's doing?

-John
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Deputy Injured- Good friend of mine - 12/05/06 10:27 PM

Very sorry to hear that Fletch. Hope your friend is OK.
Posted by: Fletch1

Re: Deputy Injured- Good friend of mine - 12/07/06 10:21 AM

He is stable now as far as I know. They are taking good care of him.

He is a warrior in the most galant sense of the word.
Posted by: butterfly

Re: Deputy Injured- Good friend of mine - 12/07/06 01:05 PM

Wow! I really don't get it! Maybe that's why I don't hear about these things except on the news or by law enforcement people that I am casually involved with.

Knucklheads running away from the law hurting good folk that are just doing their jobs. Aw man, that sucks.

I hope the cop will be alright and I hope the bad guy gets the book thrown at him. I guess that's another reason why I couldn't be a cop....I would be so tempted to tear this guy a new one.