UK knive laws??

Posted by: webby

UK knive laws?? - 08/11/06 12:36 PM

cant find them any were. any body can give me a hand on this??
Posted by: Cord

Re: UK knive laws?? - 08/11/06 01:38 PM

Any knife carried must be 3.5 inches max blade length, and must not be a fixed blade knife, nor assisted opening (switchblade, butterfly/balisong, and spring assisted lock knives are all illegal). lock knives are currently legal, but this could change in the current knee jerk response to knife crime.

There is also the question of intent/purpose for carrying any bladed tool. If you have reason to be stopped by the police in possession of a knife, and you have no reason for carrying it other than your wish to do so, it could be seen as an offensive/concealed weapon, and at the very least be confiscated.

When it comes down to it, if you carry a knife for self defense or to cause bodily harm, then even if it is a small pen-knife, if you use it, you are going to court.
Posted by: webby

Re: UK knive laws?? - 08/11/06 02:52 PM

thank you cord...i do not carry any type of knife for self defence i only cary a kuboton and a pen.. but i see folderknife clips on alot of people in my town and was wanderin about the laws.. thanks.
Posted by: shoshinkan

Re: UK knive laws?? - 08/11/06 03:08 PM

Whilst I see no reason to carry a 'weapon' for myself.

I think a solid metal pen with a bit of girth is a most wonderful piece of kit, and very explainiable, reasonable (and effective).

You can also write with it, which is handy.
Posted by: Cord

Re: UK knive laws?? - 08/12/06 09:26 AM

Quote:

thank you cord...i do not carry any type of knife for self defence i only cary a kuboton and a pen.. but i see folderknife clips on alot of people in my town and was wanderin about the laws.. thanks.

Kubaton are not legal in the UK. Many think they are, but they have been made with a specific purpose ie.for use in a physical encounter, and are therefore not a 'weapon of opertunity' in that carrying them shows premeditation.

A good alternative is one of the pocket maglights that are of similar dimensions and completely legal to carry.
Posted by: rageace

Re: UK knive laws?? - 11/13/06 10:07 AM

What is the average price of one of those maglites?
Do you have a link
cheers
rageace
Posted by: JoelM

Re: UK knive laws?? - 11/13/06 11:14 AM

example:

http://www.toolmix.com/browse/product.asp?gid=1496&pid=47690
Posted by: rageace

Re: UK knive laws?? - 11/13/06 12:49 PM

Thanks, I think i'll add that to my christmas list.