A real marine sniper interview

Posted by: JoelM

A real marine sniper interview - 07/31/06 09:45 AM

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060730/ap_o...HBhBHNlYwM5NjQ-
Quote:

USMC sniper metes out swift death in Iraq

RAMADI, Iraq - He was 5 when he first fired an M-16, his father holding him to brace against the recoil. At 17 he enlisted in the Marine Corps, spurred by the memory of 9/11. Now, 21-year-old Galen Wilson has 20 confirmed kills in four months in Iraq — and another 40 shots that probably killed insurgents. One afternoon the lance corporal downed a man hauling a grenade launcher five-and-a-half football fields away.

Wilson is the designated marksman in a company of Marines based in downtown Ramadi, watching over what Marines call the most dangerous neighborhood in the most dangerous city in the world.

Here, Sunni Arab insurgents are intent on toppling the local government protected by Marines.

Wilson, 5-foot-6 with a soft face, is married and has two children and speaks in a deep, steady monotone.

After two tours in Iraq, his commanders in the 3rd Battalion, 8th Regiment call him a particularly mature Marine, always collected and given to an occasional wry grin.

His composure is regularly tested. Swaths of central and southern Ramadi, 70 miles west of Baghdad, are dominated by insurgents who regularly attack the provincial government headquarters that Marines protect.

During a large-scale attack on Easter Sunday, Wilson says, he spotted six gunmen on a rooftop about 400 yards away. In about 8 seconds he squeezed off five rounds — hitting five gunmen in the head. The sixth man dived off a 3-story building just as Wilson got him in his sights, and counts as a probable death.

"You could tell he didn't know where it was coming from. He just wanted to get away," Wilson said. Later that day, he said, he killed another insurgent.

Wilson says his skill helps save American troops and Iraqi civilians.

"It doesn't bother me. Obviously, me being a devout Catholic, it's a conflict of interest. Then again, God supported David when he killed Goliath," Wilson said. "I believe God supports what we do and I've never killed anyone who wasn't carrying a weapon."

He was raised in a desolate part of the Rocky Mountains outside Colorado Springs, "surrounded by national parks on three sides," he says. He regularly hunted before moving to Fort Lauderdale, Fla., as a teenager. His brother also serves in the military.

Guns have long been part of Wilson's life. His father was a sniper in the Navy SEALS. He remembers first firing a sniper rifle at age 6. By the time he enlisted he had already fired a .50-caliber machine gun.

"My father owned a weapons dealership, so I've been around exotic firearms all my life," said Wilson, who remembers practicing on pine cones and cans. "My dad would help me hold (an M-16), with the butt on his shoulder, and walk me through the steps of shooting."

Technically, Wilson is not a sniper — he's an infantryman who also patrols through the span of destroyed buildings that make up downtown Ramadi. But as his unit's designated marksman, he has a sniper rifle. In the heat of day or after midnight, he spends hours on rooftop posts, peering out onto rows of abandoned houses from behind piles of sandbags and bulletproof glass cracked by gunfire.

Sometimes individual gunmen attack, other times dozens. Once Wilson shot an insurgent who was "turkey peeking" — Marine slang for stealing glances at U.S. positions from behind a corner. Later, the distance was measured at 514 meters — 557 yards.

"I didn't doubt myself, if I was going to hit him. Maybe if I would have I would have missed," Wilson said.

The key to accuracy is composure and experience, Wilson says. "The hardest part is looking, quickly adjusting the distance (on a scope), and then getting a steady position for a shot before he gets a shot off. For me, it's toning everything out in my head. It's like hearing classical music playing in my head."

Though Wilson firmly supports the war, he used to wonder how his actions would be received back home.

"At first you definitely double-guess telling your wife, mom, and your friends that you've killed 20 people," Wilson said. "But over time you realize that if they support you ... maybe it'll make them feel that much safer at home."

He acknowledges that brutal acts of war linger in the mind.

"Some people, before they're about to kill someone, they think that — 'Hey, I'm about to kill someone.' That thought doesn't occur to me. It may sound cold, but they're just a target. Afterward, it's real. You think, 'Hey, I just killed someone,'" says Wilson.

Insurgents "have killed good Marines I've served with. That's how I sleep at night," he says. "Though I've killed over 20 people, how many lives would those 20 people have taken?"

Wilson plans to leave the Marines after his contract expires next year, and is thinking of joining a SWAT Team in Florida — possibly as a sniper.

Posted by: Stormdragon

Re: A real marine sniper interview - 01/22/07 01:43 PM

Oorah, Semper-Fi.
I personally supported taking out Saddam but after taking care of that and bringing down his regime I dont see why we stayed, at least this long, it's time in my opinion to stop holding their hand and letting our boys get killed for it, but I respect the guys who go out there and fight putting their lives on the line for their friends and to take out bad guys so Semper-Fi Marine, keep up the good work.
Posted by: wristtwister

Re: A real marine sniper interview - 01/22/07 06:16 PM

Storm,
it's called a "power vacuum", and anytime a dictator like Saddam is removed and the country is just left to solve things for itself, the worst despots of history seem to surface. This was an effort to intercept our enemy and fight on his ground rather than waiting for them to show up here and start blowing up shopping malls.

Believe it or not, we've been fighting Islamic fundamentalist terrorists since the turn of the century in the Phillipines, and that was just an expansion of their continuing Jihad against the "crusaders". Unfortunately, with the kind of countries we're dealing with there (tribal and Sectarian Islamic fundamentalists) there is no cohesive society to actually "get a grip" on the people rationally. If they are dealing with each other, it's Sunni vs Shia, and if it's "government", it's whoever is in charge of the army vs. the outside influences of the insurgents vs. the outside influences of the government... so it keeps recycling into violence regardless of whoever is in charge.

Saddam kept control by killing people and having both a strong army and secret police to quash any rebellions. Now that he's gone, the structure of the country is also gone, along with most jobs... so the former army members are sitting around with their guns and grenades getting more and more pi$$ed off at both of their enemies... their own secterian people and the outsiders.

A lot of the "Islamists" aren't really all that religious, but they have to appear that way or get killed for disagreeing. If the Baptists were shooting the Methodists, and you were a Methodist... you'd be against the Baptists and whoever was their friends... just like they are in Iraq. They hate the West regardless of who they are because they think Western Culture is trying to prevent the return of the Imam that is supposed to convert the world to Islam. As long as there are fundamentalists in both sects preaching that tripe, they will keep on killing the innocent of "the other side" and "the west" just to stay in the good graces of their particular sect. Those that aren't so motivated, are just terrorists because they like it, and they would be killing innocent people for any other reason that they could preach that would incite others... but the reason our soldiers are there right now is to try to prevent that power vacuum that was created and give the government of Iraq a chance to get both sides of their own sectarian society under control.

My own theory is that they will only replace Saddam with another despot, but there will be a difference... this one won't have sent a hit man to try to kill George Bush Senior the way Saddam did. While that may have escaped a lot of people's memory, I remember the coverage of it quite well... and W didn't forget it either.

Re: A real marine sniper interview - 01/22/07 06:37 PM

So it's basically going for the lesser evil right?
Posted by: wristtwister

Re: A real marine sniper interview - 01/22/07 11:58 PM

Unfortunately, the "lesser of two evils" is what we end up with, whether it's what we planned or not, and in a power vacuum like Iraq, it will eventually be the "victory to the most preserving". My guess is it will eventually end up as a genocide of either one side or the other of the sectarian violence, or they will finally tire of killing one another and pick a third party to team up against.

That whole area of the world has hatreds that go back a thousand years, and where someone rational would go on about their business, they go on the warpath. Like anything else, it will eventually be all about the money for the oil there, but right now, it's actually about trying to stop the Islamic facists... too bad they have oil money to finance them, and "facilitator nations" that are just as corrupt as they are to help them. It'll be measured in innocent victims of these jerkoffs, and in the end, all that they will have accomplished is a lot of dead people and no solution or resolution of the problems... but it's like trying to reason with a grizzly bear... all he wants to do is kill you and eat you... so he isn't listening, no matter what you say or do. That's what makes it so stupid to try to just pull out the troops, because it'll just make them kill a different group of people. The people who want us to pull the troops out think you can reason with terrorists... they could use a good visit to the zoo... just to have a talk with a grizzly...

Re: A real marine sniper interview - 01/23/07 02:04 PM

So then I guess the question is why bother with them at all in the first place? It seems hopeless and useless although I guess it could be worse if we didn't. I'd say we should've focused on just staying tight with Israel and helping them and forgetting the other mid east countries (other than taking them down if need be like we may do with Iran).
On anotehr note, I heard there's a ton of oil actually under parts of Israel, like either the Dead sea or Red sea or maybe both.