Active Denial System

Posted by: Ed_Morris

Active Denial System - 06/26/06 01:30 PM

"Non-lethal" crowd control

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Denial_System

basically, it emits a directed microwave oven -like beam. The crowd either moves away or cooks.

leave it to the US to come up with that 'instant' solution. whats the pitch? "Crowd control in 40 seconds!"

"ding! your lynch mob has dispersed"

WTF? hey, if it works, it works....I guess. and whats with the name of it? 'Active Denial System' ? now theres a term wide open to interpretation.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Active Denial System - 06/26/06 01:39 PM

I haven't heard about this one. But I have heard of high-decibel sonic weapons that the military was looking into as well.

I was wondering about the metal-conductivity "hot-spots" as well.
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: Active Denial System - 06/26/06 01:50 PM

Quote:

basically, it emits a directed microwave oven -like beam. The crowd either moves away or cooks.

We live in the age of the microwave oven. Seriously though, I don't like the idea of microwaving people to clear up a crowd , tear gas, low velocity projectiles and water cannons sound safer to me.

And umm... what about long term effects? Is this going to inadvertently cause a large population decrease in riotous people because their equipment stops working?

Quote:

the military says the effect "penetrates the skin to a depth of less than 1/64 of an inch."

I wouldn't like that penetrating 1/64 of an inch anywhere near "sensitive equipment".
Posted by: globetrotter

Re: Active Denial System - 06/26/06 05:49 PM

they have been working on this for years. lets see when it is ready to use