Question about Law Enforcement and Martial Arts

Posted by: TheLaw

Question about Law Enforcement and Martial Arts - 05/29/06 01:37 AM

Hey, I am interested in Law Enforcement type stuff and plan on becoming an Officer but I was curious what are some opinions on what would be the best Martial Art to study in to help this field of work. I was thinking Judo or Jujitsu, but I wanted to see some other opinions (and possibly some facts, if someone knows what some places actually train their Officers in).

This forum is pretty sweet, just found out about it and just joined it.
Posted by: Fletch1

Re: Question about Law Enforcement and Martial Arts - 05/29/06 10:38 AM

Find something that you like and stick with it. It should have a major sparring component and be functional in extreme close quarters. Your choices above might fit that requirement.

Do it for the enjoyment of it and don't think too much about it being "cop training".

Don't let anyone tell you that their "martial art" is perfect for police, even if they are cops themselves.

There will likely be a curriculum of arrest and control tactics that you will have to become proficient at in the police academy. It will be extremely basic and designed around avoiding liability, sometimes at the expense praticality.

Know what you train in and know what you are supposed to know per policy. Know the difference and don't get them confused.

Good luck.
Posted by: Glockmeister

Re: Question about Law Enforcement and Martial Art - 05/30/06 09:14 AM

If you are thinking of Judo or jujitsu, you are on the right path. Judo especially is good for the sweeps and throws and clinchwork. Great because taking a perp to the groud is often a high priority should he or she become violent. Also may wanna check out Krav Maga or Haganah.
Posted by: Ryan_Doherty

Re: Question about Law Enforcement and Martial Art - 06/03/06 09:06 AM

I know someone on a similar path to you. He does jujutsu.
Posted by: SmithNWessonDo

Re: Question about Law Enforcement and Martial Art - 06/06/06 05:44 PM

It's good to practice something that focuses on your physical conditioning. You'll be drilled through a use of force continuum at the academy that encompasses the skills to use on the job, so that will put you through a period where you'll have to "unlearn" and "relearn" movements you already know. Having excellent cardiovascular and strength training will give you an advantage. After being instilled with that you'll be in a position to make an informed choice about a martial arts system that can suit your needs. It should also be noted the martial arts should be a "supplement" to the defensive tactics training, but not an addition to it. Deviation from departmental policy will get one fired and/or brought up on charges.
Posted by: Bloody_Barbs

Re: Question about Law Enforcement and Martial Art - 09/02/06 11:06 PM

I would reccomend looking into Hapkido. It is a defensive martial art which focuses on finishing safely and efficently with submission moves including joint lock and PP's. Gl.
Posted by: JAD

Re: Question about Law Enforcement and Martial Arts - 09/05/06 02:55 AM

After 25 years in corrections, I've found that the best Martial Arts form is the one you like the best so you stick with it. What's been most important to me is learning the dynamics of body movement so I could see what the assailant was about to do before s/he does it. This gives you the edge in response time. Most types of sparring should do that. Judo was the form I started with. I've found very few criminals who have had any kind of training in the fighting arts (I can remember about 4 of them over the years)
Posted by: sopwith21

Re: Question about Law Enforcement and Martial Art - 11/04/06 10:34 PM

Quote:

Hey, I am interested in Law Enforcement type stuff and plan on becoming an Officer but I was curious what are some opinions on what would be the best Martial Art to study in to help this field of work.

IMHO you'll be a far better public servant if you do not have martial arts training. You'll be far less inclined to attack civilians, arrest without warrant, and hold a greater respect for those you serve. When you arm yourself and prepare for combat you will lose your fear of your masters. When that occurs, you become a master yourself instead of a servant, and of course that's backwards.

If you love guns, combat and martial arts, I'd recommend the military as a more appropriate outlet.
Posted by: Glockmeister

Re: Question about Law Enforcement and Martial Art - 11/05/06 09:51 AM

Quote:

IMHO you'll be a far better public servant if you do not have martial arts training. You'll be far less inclined to attack civilians, arrest without warrant, and hold a greater respect for those you serve.

Huh?

edited to fix quote
Posted by: steved

Re: Question about Law Enforcement and Martial Art - 11/05/06 10:46 AM

This is the reason i began judo as well because i wanted to join the police. Someone told me that akido was the best one if you wanted to join the police but im not so sure.
Posted by: djemboy2

Re: Question about Law Enforcement and Martial Art - 11/09/06 11:28 AM

Aikido is probably one of the best forms for this purpose as it is very much pro control and anti agressive, i would definitely consider this art for law enforcement, taking into account that this day and age criminals have very good lawyers, who will exploit the excessive force loophole

why dont sharks attack lawyers.......professional courtesy
how do you know when a lawyer is lying....his mouth moves
Posted by: ITFunity

Re: Question about Law Enforcement and Martial Arts - 01/12/07 06:42 AM

None is necessary. Any type would help show that you are:
hopefully in shape
hopefully a discipline person
hopefully better able to defend yourself

Most recruiters & background investigators will think that it is a positive trait. The style is not as important, as the fact that you followed through & have achieved something through the training.
Posted by: hunterkell

Re: Question about Law Enforcement and Martial Arts - 01/16/07 01:34 PM

As a current police officer who has sat on a few review boards, I would suggest you follow Fletch's advice.

Kel
Posted by: VVIII

Re: Question about Law Enforcement and Martial Arts - 01/29/07 06:55 AM

Hiya, I've worked for years in covert theft prevention so have plenty of 'encounters' - I'd say go at a few things hard and pick up some practical ideas and get with a martial art buddy and start training the different scenerios that you may encounter in your line of work. In the real world it's about simplicity and no one style will cover it all-practice real speed spontaneous drills. My two cents in, cheers!
Posted by: TomTom

Re: Question about Law Enforcement and Martial Arts - 05/05/07 06:39 AM

Hi, I teach arrest and restraint in the UK, and have to agree with VVIII. You want a few but very oiled techs to hand.
Your biggest problem is operating within the law.
No one style is gonna help you, Cross train and take what you can - get yourself cardio/physically fit.
I lot of what you do as an officer is public perception, rather than what you did??
Learn "Way of the open hand" and "smile whilst you strike"
Your entering a murky world where your not meant to be the aggressor!
Jujitsu,Akido etc great for locks and restraints
Krav Maga - excellent for all round striking SD and multiple attackers. (Be aware of the law!!) In Krav you may elbow strike someone repeatly to the face and neck.This may not go down very well in court as an officer! haha
All force must be reasonable and justified!?
Posted by: BigPhil

Re: Question about Law Enforcement and Martial Art - 06/07/07 02:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Hey, I am interested in Law Enforcement type stuff and plan on becoming an Officer but I was curious what are some opinions on what would be the best Martial Art to study in to help this field of work.

IMHO you'll be a far better public servant if you do not have martial arts training. You'll be far less inclined to attack civilians, arrest without warrant, and hold a greater respect for those you serve. When you arm yourself and prepare for combat you will lose your fear of your masters. When that occurs, you become a master yourself instead of a servant, and of course that's backwards.

If you love guns, combat and martial arts, I'd recommend the military as a more appropriate outlet.

The discipine and self control that the martial arts impart will be greatly benificial. actual style doesnt matter much but I would try and stay away from sport based schools ie...point fighting.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Question about Law Enforcement and Martial Art - 06/07/07 03:22 PM

Hi Phil. I think your advice is right on the button. FWIW, sopwith21 is the resident forum anti-authoritarian, and with statements like:

Quote:

you'll be a far better public servant if you do not have martial arts training. You'll be far less inclined to attack civilians, arrest without warrant, and hold a greater respect for those you serve. When you arm yourself and prepare for combat you will lose your fear of your masters.

I wonder if he has ever even taken so much as one actual martial arts class.
Posted by: crablord

Re: Question about Law Enforcement and Martial Art - 06/08/07 02:17 AM

ROFL!

Quote:

you forgot toilet cleaning and getting up at 4 am to wash the dishes and being forced to fold your undies a certain way.

Quote:

When that occurs, you become a master yourself instead of a servant, and of course that's backwards.

rofl
Posted by: Bushi_no_ki

Re: Question about Law Enforcement and Martial Art - 06/08/07 12:58 PM

crablord, that only happens in basic. Well, they dropped kp from basic, so only getting up at four am for PT and folding your undies a certain way applies.

It has to be Dress Right Dress, this is the Godd*mn Army!!!