Need advice on legal matters.

Posted by: DeathComesRippin

Need advice on legal matters. - 02/07/06 10:44 PM

Ok, So this guy who doesnt like me, hes been threatening to start a fight with me and use my martial arts status against me to try and get me arrested. He also knows I am on three years unsupervised probation. I definately don't intend to start a fight with HIM but what if he gets me to a point where i HAVE to defend myself? I've been thinking that if he tried to hit me, I would try and go for a submission, or a pin and just exhaust him. I hit very hard and it wouldn't be difficult for me to maim him, and i don't like the idea of pulling a punch because that increases my risk for injury. This guy is willing to put himself in danger just for the chance that i might be locked away. I'm pretty sure if use my above mentioned strategy I would be ok in the eyes of the law, but what do you guys think? What if cop cars were to come up while we were going at it, and he accuses me of starting everything? Also, can you get in trouble for making someone pass out with a choke? And should i notify the police about this kind of threat? Also keep in mind I live in Yuma Arizona. Are there ways online to look up local laws?
Posted by: oldman

Re: Need advice on legal matters. - 02/08/06 10:52 AM

Talk to the police. Let them know what he is planning. File a restraining order against him. Get a papertrail started. If he did something you would already be able to provide evidence in writing that you were trying to avoid the confontation and you were acting in self defense.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: Need advice on legal matters. - 02/09/06 06:21 AM

Also try to have a witness with you at all times.
Posted by: Fletch1

Re: Need advice on legal matters. - 02/10/06 12:59 AM

A sound strategy will include:

Staying away from him or people lke him.

Notifying the authorities.

Don't make or accept challenges and most of all....be right.
Posted by: oldman

Re: Need advice on legal matters. - 02/10/06 12:44 PM

Maybe he could change his name to "DeathTakesaHoliday"
Posted by: Eliot

Re: Need advice on legal matters. - 02/10/06 02:59 PM

First I would notify your local Probation and Parole Office even though you don't have a P/O. I would advise the local Police first and ask them to write a report for you. This way it is documented. The rest of the advice is excellent, try to stay away from him or places he might go and try to have a witness with you. (Someone who is not on Probation or Parole). The last thing I would do is stop talking about maiming him and putting him to sleep with a choke hold because this stuff is on your computer and can be used against you in court. I am by no means an expert just my two cents.
Posted by: DeathComesRippin

Re: Need advice on legal matters. - 02/10/06 03:15 PM

Thank you very much for the advice everyone, I actually just got back from the police station. I filed my report and they gave me a card with my case number on it in case something does happen. I made sure to wear my UFC shirt when i went there...The officer loved it and was very helpful and friendly haha. He said that the doctors would be able to tell if i were brutally beating him or if I was just striking to defend myself. He told me they would look at the whole picture (my report, where it happened, and his size compared to mine, since hes bigger.) I'll most likely be on my way back there today to file the restraining order, I just have a couple things to do first. Oh and lol at the "DeathTakesaHoliday" joke.