Effective Range of Pepper Spray

Posted by: Subedei

Effective Range of Pepper Spray - 12/02/05 04:39 AM

Just what is the effective range of pepper spray?

*Civilian grade, police grade, large animal grade?
*How much protection will clothing provide?
*Do narcotics/adrenaline dull the effects?
*Would any of these grades be an effective defense against someone armed with a knife? How about a machete or a baseball bat? (I would imagine so, but just thought I'd ask)

I'm not planning anything silly, just curious Thanks.
Posted by: Fletch1

Re: Effective Range of Pepper Spray - 12/02/05 01:01 PM

Range?

Considering that the most popular pattern is the stream rather than the old style cone (mist), the best range is that in which you could put the product on the desired target. Considering how most confrontations tend to involve movement, I would suggest that the distance would be between 5 to 10 feet. This is of course based on the content pressure and quality of the cannister/ nozzle. Passed that...it's anyone's guess.

Pepper is pepper. Some are hotter than others. Any commercial OC would probably be sufficient for use as a SD tool.

Clothing provides protection if used to block the product from reaching the intended target...the face. A bit of a no brainer there.

Narcotics and adrenalin? Yes. They can have an affect on the response to OC pepper spray.

OC vs Knife? Effective? I would not suggest it unless you have received appropriate training with the OC and still only if you have no other recourse and it fits into your plan of escape. Blinding an armed hostile subject with pepper does not necesarily make them less of a threat.

There are too many factors to list here. Seek out a good tactical instructor who teaches OC tactics.
Posted by: Tolyn1007

Re: Effective Range of Pepper Spray - 12/02/05 02:21 PM

I agree with Fletch. Unlike mace (CS) where an indirect hit (say to the chest) can cause the desired effect, OC needs to contact the moist tissue in the sinuses and eyes to get the full effect (not that it doesn't burn any way but unless it's inhaled or strikes the eyes, it's just not the same). Also, like with CS, different people react to OC in different ways. Some people are totally unaffected, others, they drop like a ton of bricks crying. *shrug*
Posted by: phoenixsflame

Re: Effective Range of Pepper Spray - 12/04/05 06:27 PM

Quote:

I agree with Fletch. Unlike mace (CS) where an indirect hit (say to the chest) can cause the desired effect, OC needs to contact the moist tissue in the sinuses and eyes to get the full effect (not that it doesn't burn any way but unless it's inhaled or strikes the eyes, it's just not the same). Also, like with CS, different people react to OC in different ways. Some people are totally unaffected, others, they drop like a ton of bricks crying. *shrug*

The last part of this statement is totally right on. I've been hit by pepper spray once, because I made the mistake of trying to help a drunken woman off the ground. She thought I was attacking, got a face full of pepper.

It burned, but were I an attacker... It would've only cauesd me to attack more viciously. As it stood I just swore and stood up and repeated. "can I help you? Are you ok?" A few times until she felt really bad and bought me food at a Denny's once I washed the pepper out of my eyes. (It stained my face red, how wierd is that?)

I'd suggest the Mace, or if we're talking heavy duty. Lets go with one of those stun guns. Electricity works on everyone
Posted by: fattts14

Re: Effective Range of Pepper Spray - 12/07/05 12:27 PM

Sorry to interupt but I heard somewhere that you can build up an immunity to pepper spray. Is there any truth in that?
Posted by: Tolyn1007

Re: Effective Range of Pepper Spray - 12/07/05 07:32 PM

I suppose it's possible. I'm less effected by CS then I am OC primarily from standing in gas houses when I was in the Marine Corps signing the Hymn with lungs full of tear gas. A couple of shots with OC though and I wasn't much interested in building a tolerance.
Posted by: fattts14

Re: Effective Range of Pepper Spray - 12/08/05 11:37 AM

No it's not fun at all is it? I got sprayed from less then a foot away open eyes and all. I was hyperventilating, poured 2 bags af milk on my eyes, stod in a cold shower for 1/2 an hour, and still had to sleep with a wet cloth over my face and ears. The next day I couldn't open my eyes in the sun, only artificial light.
Posted by: Fletch1

Re: Effective Range of Pepper Spray - 12/08/05 01:25 PM

Very possible. There is a small % of the population that is virtually unaffected by OC pepper spray.
Posted by: RangerG

Re: Effective Range of Pepper Spray - 12/13/05 06:24 PM

Or CS gas...PO'd the heck outa my DI in basic training....