Beware puppies and kittens!

Posted by: RazorFoot

Beware puppies and kittens! - 10/13/05 09:22 AM

I was attending a basic self defense seminar to act as the attacker for a friend of mine who was doing the demonstrations and part of his discussion was centered around protecting your kids from child predators. I thought I had a pretty good understanding of the things to warn my child about. You know, strangers with money, candy, toys, and the likes. It never dawned on me how easy it would be for them to get a child to lower their guard by using a puppy or a kitten. When he said that, I realized there was an area I had completely over looked.

If you are like me and hadn't seen the danger presented by this scenario, take the time to talk to your kids now. I know how many times I have walked up to someone who had a puppy to see it and pet it. Kids are even more easily lured in by a cute and cuddly animal. Just a heads up. If anyone knows of other watchouts that I may have missed, please offer them here.
Posted by: harlan

Re: Beware puppies and kittens! - 10/13/05 09:31 AM

I saw a video on this subject a couple of years ago. I was so surprised when the 'puppy/cat' thing was discussed. It went right under my radar. The video discussed how we enculturate children in such a way as to make them easy victims: deference for authority figures, wanting 'to be good' and unthinkingly responding to requests for help or doing what they are told (without questioning).

So obvious, and simple, it shook me.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Beware puppies and kittens! - 10/13/05 10:13 AM

http://www.pmaschools.com/columbus/index.cfm?page=14
Posted by: Zombie Zero

Re: Beware puppies and kittens! - 10/13/05 11:26 AM

Remember, there doesn't even have to be an actual puppy or kitten, just the promise of one.

"I lost my puppy, will you help me look for him?"

I shudder to think how many predators have successfully used this ruse, and permanently robbed a child of his/her innocence.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Beware puppies and kittens! - 10/13/05 11:39 AM

Holy crap. I wasn't going to read this post, figuring it was some kind of joke. Excellent information, Razor.

Great link, JoelM. More good info.

I would never have thought how something so seemingly innocent could be used by a child predator to gain the confidence of a child.
Posted by: funstick5000

Re: Beware puppies and kittens! - 10/13/05 04:04 PM

there used to be a line of adverts in the seventies talking about this. it always used to be a little boy who'd be threatened by something (strangers, walking into the road) and then his cat would meow at him and he'd realise that his mistake. they look really funny but i wonder just how many lives they saved.

actually when my parents were teaching my sister (at about 5) what do if a stranger offers some thing. i think the question was something like
would you like an ice cream? what flavour would you like? her reply 'choclate please'

funny and scary at the same time.
Posted by: kenposan

Re: Beware puppies and kittens! - 10/14/05 02:57 AM

Quote:

Remember, there doesn't even have to be an actual puppy or kitten, just the promise of one.

"I lost my puppy, will you help me look for him?"

I shudder to think how many predators have successfully used this ruse, and permanently robbed a child of his/her innocence.

Oprah had a former cop many years ago that used that very line on a bunch of kids in a park. All the parents had said prior "my kid knows to not go with a stanger" and all but one of them did, if I recall correctly.