professional standards

Posted by: ziggytkd

professional standards - 08/08/05 07:33 PM

Well, I'm currently training to pass the state POPS test (police officers professional standards). The reason being is I'm trying to get hired at a local pd and have to pass the test in order to go to the academy. The test is a 1 1/2 mile run in 17 min 12 sec or less, a 300 meter sprint in 65 sec or less, bench press 64% of your body weight, do 20 push up in less than a min and 20 sit ups in less than a min. Along with passing a drug screen, lie detector test, and psych evaluation. My question is what do you think about the testing. I'll give my opinions and why a little later, if people actually answer this post.
Posted by: Fletch1

Re: professional standards - 08/09/05 12:23 AM

What do I think of the testing?

I think that if you have a pulse and can pass a polygraph, the physical part is just an administrative obstacle for the agency to hold up as a physical "qualification" that allows a more diverse applicant pool to pass.

For someone who is in reasonably good shape, the physical standards are extremely "forgiving" (11:28 mile pace for 1.5 miles, a 200 lb man benching 128 lbs, etc.). There are few if any agencies however, that have a really gruelling applicant exam.

Our agency doesn't even do that anymore due to complaints about it not being gender and disability friendly.

We now have a test that measures your abilities to:

1. Unbuckle your seatbelt.

2. Get out of your car.

3. Reach behind your back.

4. Open your trunk.

5. Remove a flashlight and a pistol from the trunk.

6. Jog/ walk 200 yards with the flashlight.

7. Climb over a 3 foot wall.

8. Step over some obstacles.

9. Crawl under some obstacles.

10. Jog another 100 yards.

11. Go back under and over the obstacles.

12. Jog another 200 yards.

13. Pick up the pistol and pull the triggger 6 times with the right hand and six times with the left.

14. Put the flashlight and pistol back in the trunk.

15. Get back in the driver seat, put the keys in the glove box and fasten your seatbelt.

16. Time stops when you put both hands on the steering wheel.

I usually run it in about 3:30. Cut off time is 6:07.

You will find that once graduated from the police academy, the standards for physical conditioning become non existent unless you join SWAT or K-9. Some agencies offer incentives to stay in shape but they are in the extreme minority.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: professional standards - 08/09/05 12:41 AM

Quote:

13. Pick up the pistol and pull the triggger 6 times with the right hand and six times with the left.

Ambidextrious marksmanship? Is that a common requirement for LE agencies? Or do you just have to be able to pull the trigger(this one seems like a bad and dangerous policy)?

I think at the time I could pass either of those tests (although I'm not sure about the bench press, never done that), and I've been out of serious training for a while now.

I've somewhat contemplated Law Enforcement as a career move recently, but I don't think it's in the cards right now, and I don't think my fiance would appreciate it.
Posted by: ziggytkd

Re: professional standards - 08/12/05 04:37 PM

Well, personally I think the test is a bit ridiculous. Yes I think officers should be physcially fit, however i think that they could have a better test. One that is more practical, for example a test that you have to do things that would have to do in real life. There is no reason for you to chase a suspect for 1 1/2 miles. In fact in a rural setting as mine, it would be very dangerous to do so, b/c you can't always reach dispatch on your walkie in some areas. Other than general fitness what do push ups and sit ups prove? The bench press makes since, it shows that you have upper body strength. and the 300 meter sprint, seems a bit much to me. I know of no officer, and haven't even seen on COPS where any one officer has ran down and caught a suspect in a chase over about 100 yards. If you haven't caught them in that distance, you aren't going to without help, or if they stop or trip. Lets face it, the suspect is in a T shirt, shorts and tennis shoes, and we're in a uniform, boots, have a vest, gun belt and in total about 20 pounds of extra weight. Who is gonna win the race? I think the test should include a wall scale, dummy drag, and other tasks that you might encounter. Of course there should be a time limit on the course. That's just my opinion.
Posted by: hunterkell

Re: professional standards - 08/15/05 01:13 PM

hey zig

the test has to be easy enough that females can pass it (sorry ladies)....i know some good female officers, just stating the truth.

ive chased a gang member from sur13 over a half mile (before he went to ground). since we didnt have k9's out that night we hunted for this guy for quite a while and finally ended it with another foot chase.

ive watched an overweight officer chase a badguy for only 100 yards till the officer got so out of breath he had to stop and throw up (we even had to call ems for his out of shape butt)!

when i worked narcs i had to fight one badguy for quite a few minutes until i could get his pistol away from him (he didnt know i was a cop and thought i was trying jack him), i think the only reason i won that struggle is/was becuz i run 2-5 miles 3 times a week minimum.

the thing is u dont have to "win the race", u just have to keep them in sight and be able to talk intelligently on the radio while u guide the other officers in to the right area....

pushups and situps have to do with muscular endurance, i dont have to be as strong as someone, i just have to be able to fight them until they are tired....that being said, u r right: they dont PROVE much.

the wall scale, dummy drag, and time limit are great ideas though...

just my zero two
Kel