Taser in Britain

Posted by: JoelM

Taser in Britain - 08/02/05 12:36 AM

From: http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/business.cfm?id=1713672005
Quote:

Stun gun sales to shoot up for Taser firm

THE US firm that makes the stun gun used by British police forces is expecting increased sales because of demands that all officers are equipped with Tasers.

Since March, the weapon has been authorised for use by firearms officers in the UK. But the numbers are expected to grow, because the Police Federation, which represents junior police ranks, has reportedly called for funding to supply a Taser for every British officer.

Kevin Coles, co-founder of Protec Systems, the UK distributor, said up to 7000 firearms officers in Britain have either been issued with - or trained to use - the device. Equipping all of the UK's police forces would increase sales by more than 90 per cent to 140,000, according to manufacturer Taser International.

I would be interested in hearing from anybody, but spcifically people in law enforcement in Britain and also the citizens.
Posted by: SANCHIN31

Re: Taser in Britain - 08/02/05 01:23 AM

Zap them bad boys!
Posted by: Gavin

Re: Taser in Britain - 08/02/05 07:02 AM

I can honestly see this happening. I can't say whether or not I happy that the old bill will be carrying tasers, but I do think its needed. Your average Bobby on the beat is woefully underskilled for life on the beat. On sunday night when I was out for a drink with my girlfriend and witnessed 6 policeman trying to down a drunk who had taken a swing at a female officer. They really made hard work off it. We were actually on our way to meet a friend who's a SO19 (firearms officer - He provided some insights into the current terror raids!) in the Met, and proceeded to get quite abit of stick for his mates performance.

The UK police have been carrying Pepper spray for quite sometime, and I've seen them really bungle that up as well. About six months ago, a little way down from a Bar I do security at, a lone police officer tried to arrest this drunk guy armed with a vodka bottle. He ended up on the floor taken shots to the helmet with the bottle, covering up and not being able to get to his pepper spray. In the end myself and my Head Doorman went down and locked the guy up on the floor while the policeman called for backup. In this instance and many others I've witnessed, I think if the police had been armed with tasers I think they could have handled the situation alot more easily.

I do have concerns though about certian over zealous officers who would go over the top with the taser. A friend of mine had a whole canister of gas used on him, which the officer continued to apply even after he'd stopped fighting. He is a big guy, but they had a van load of backup and wasn't even trying to fight the officers, but from his version of events it did seem excessive. I know from experience in security that there are always two sides to every story though. A complaints going through now.

Waffling now. In my point of view, I think it will probably be a better thing for the UK police, help keep them safe and also allow them to restrain people easier. I just wish they'd let us poor defenceless doorman "legally" carry some of their toys!
Posted by: horizon

Re: Taser in Britain - 08/02/05 07:09 AM

It is quite a debated subject now, especially after one of the suicidebomb suspects from the failed bombattacks in London was brought down by a taser. It was brought up that tasers shouldn't be used on potential suicidebombers because it could detinate the bombs.
I must say, I don't know enough about law enfourcement, tasers etc. to give good opinion, I just wanted to bring this up.

Re: Taser in Britain - 08/02/05 07:16 AM

Question to one of our Stateside friends. Are tasers suitable to use against someone suspected of carrying an explosive device? Is there a chance of setting off the bomb or could the suspect still set it off using a trigger?
Posted by: Fletch1

Re: Taser in Britain - 08/02/05 11:47 AM

As far as explosives? Uhhhh....no. I don't think it would be appropriate or tactically advisable to Tase someone strapped in explosives. The Taser only has a 15-21 foot range (length of the wires), which effectively keeps you in the heart of the blast area. No way to take cover and of course there would be a significant risk of the electric charge setting off the explosives.

Re: Taser in Britain - 08/02/05 11:58 AM

Thanks for the info Fletch. Has the US adopted the same shot to kill policy with regards to Suspected Suicide Bombers?

I really don't envy the poor officer who has to make this call, the UK police have taken alot of stick over the killing of this poor Brazilian guy who was shot. My police friend was outside the station where this guy was shot. He said the guy had been followed from the house they were watching, challanged outside the station and proceed to run into the station, jumping barriers and headed for a train. Apparantly he fell with his arms spread in a way that suicide bombers are trained to do, so the officer made the call to shoot. Very unfortunate. Fletch, is there anything else tatically that the officers could have done in this situation?
Posted by: funstick5000

Re: Taser in Britain - 08/02/05 12:17 PM

from what i've heard (and with a bit of common sense figured out) is that tazers shouldn't be used on people bearing fire arms or a hand-held detonators because the pain makes you muscles tense and joins curl so triggers would be pulled etc but against drunks with broken bottles against inept policemen they'd be perfect

Re: Taser in Britain - 08/02/05 12:48 PM

Agreed 100%!

I have a friend who was carrying a stun gun whilst working, it all look like it was going to geek off so he knocked the safety of it ready for use, but the situation resolved itself and he forgot all about it. Later on, when he lent against the bar he zapped himself. Apparnetly he couldn't move his leg for about 20 mins!

Re: Taser in Britain - 08/02/05 02:39 PM

another point i just though of what the police be issued with? a stun gun with the shooting darts or a close up tazer that you have to put up to someones body?
Posted by: charliefox

Re: Taser in Britain - 08/04/05 06:38 PM

I think it's a GREAT idea. Maybe the crime rate will stabilize once the BGs take a few "applications!
Posted by: Cord

Re: Taser in Britain - 08/07/05 12:45 PM

Police are paid to do a job, not sacrifice themselves bravely. Any device that allows them to defend themselves in violent encounters should be standard issue IMO.
Posted by: Virgils

Re: Taser in Britain - 08/30/05 01:48 PM

US side here, one word of caution is once the police start using them alot, whats to stop criminals for doing it to policeman. Whats to prevent them from zapping the officers with them and then proceeding with what they were going to do. I am not saying for them not to have them, just are they ready to be zapped as well since criminals might think of it as a non-lethal way to neutralize and officer temporarily.

Re: Taser in Britain - 08/30/05 04:45 PM

all bobbies over here wear lightweight bullet/knife vests so the probably wouldn't penatrate the abdomen. although anywhere else and they are a bit screwed.