Unmarked car pullovers?

Posted by: MattJ

Unmarked car pullovers? - 06/22/05 10:42 AM

What do you recommend that people who are unsure of the legitimacy of an unmarked car/plain clothes officer do when they are about to be pulled over?

I have seen a few instances of people with fake police id's, dolled up cars, etc, trying to pull (especially women) over with the intention of committing a crime.

I have told my wife NOT to pull over for an unmarked vehicle until a marked unit arrives or she can get to a police station.

I realize that this may cause problems with actual unmarked Police vehicles, but I am not sure what else to do.

Any suggestions?
Posted by: Zombie Zero

Re: Unmarked car pullovers? - 06/22/05 12:04 PM

If you're being followed by a suspicious vehicle, dial #77 on your cell phone. (might be different in your area)
This is the number to report disabled vehicles, but can also be used for this type of situation.

I believe 311 is another service. It's for calls that aren't quite at the 911 level, yet warrant police attention.

Re: Unmarked car pullovers? - 06/22/05 12:41 PM

For more info, look here: http://www.snopes.com/horrors/mayhem/fakecop.asp

Re: Unmarked car pullovers? - 06/22/05 12:45 PM

Zombie -

Thanks for the tips, I will pass them along.
Posted by: hunterkell

Re: Unmarked car pullovers? - 06/22/05 01:07 PM

u really have to be careful with advice like, "drive to the nearest police station" what happens if ur in the county (along way away from the nearest station or substation)? or somewhere that u dont know WHERE a station is? if ur not careful u wind up on an episode of cops.

i would suggest if a pd is not nearby, driving to a well lighted, traveled, area-convenience store, mall, anywhere there are PEOPLE, lots of PEOPLE keep u safe. if u have time the phone call to a local area is a good idea; but what happens if u dont know the number. 911/311/0 will not always put u in contact with the agency of the police vehicle that is pulling u over (since jurisdictions tend to overlap). maybe ur call puts u in touch with a local agency, but, it is a state trooper/game warden/federal agency that is pulling u over (usually one doesnt know what the other is doing). i would call 911 though (not 311/411/0), if ur being pulled over by someone who you think might not be a cop, i (as an officer that is concerned for the welfare of all citizens) WOULD consider that a very dire emergency.

Kel

Re: Unmarked car pullovers? - 06/22/05 01:32 PM

Quote:

911/311/0 will not always put u in contact with the agency of the police vehicle that is pulling u over

That's what mile markers are for. Central dispatch knows how to get into contact with the proper agency. Differing authorities communicate with each other very well.

Also, if it's a legitimate police vehicle, and you don't know why you're being pulled over, then you probably haven't committed an arrestable offence. (People usually know when they've done something that would get them put in jail) Also, calling from a cell phone actually has a good chance of putting you through to the local authorities, since it's based on which tower you're connecting through.

Anytime you feel you are in danger, don't hesitate to call 911. At least then, you know you're really talking to the police. They like hearing about license plate numbers, etc.

Re: Unmarked car pullovers? - 06/22/05 01:35 PM

I was concerned about the "cops episode" possibility myself.

That is a good idea about driving to a populated area. I live in the country, and I worry about my wife for just that reason. The 911 is probably not a bad idea either, as it can be 8-10 miles before any remnants of civilization appear.

Re: Unmarked car pullovers? - 06/22/05 01:53 PM

i could see where someone named zombie zero would have a hard time taking anything seriously.

i pull ppl over all the time that dont know what theyve done (and yes ive arrested them too). there is quite a time lag between agency communication. if someone in a car doesnt know who is pulling them over, how will a person behind a desk (miles away) know who it is? WILL they call all the leo agencies in the state? wat if its federal? will they call all them too???

i am a gulf war veteran (firefighter), graduated top academic from my police academy, 12 years as a police officer (u/c narcs, traffic homicide, dynamic entry school at fort blanding, swat basic out of south florida, shieldman on my team, currently plain clothes investigations, past patrol officer, theres more but i grow tired of typing); i am also a member of one of the few combat units in the USAF.

i use shorthand becuz i type a lot and it is a chore....

WAT HAV U DUN? (video games dont count)

Kel

Re: Unmarked car pullovers? - 06/22/05 02:02 PM

hunterkell, I defer to your knowledge on the subject, given your position and experience. I didn't mean to suggest otherwise.

The comment I made about shorthand was meant to be light-hearted, I hope it didn't come off as snotty. 'teh intarnet sp34k' is a pet peeve of mine, but we all have our bears to cross.

Double-Z

Re: Unmarked car pullovers? - 06/22/05 02:07 PM

fair enough.

i did take it as a litle snotty.

i apologize for jumping and being rude without first making sure of ur intent.

u hurt my feelings,

we try to not jump at each other too much on this website, it gets in the way of honest communication.

friends
Kel
Posted by: Fletch1

Re: Unmarked car pullovers? - 06/22/05 02:18 PM

Be nice or I'll zap you both with my super mod zapper.

As for the origianl question? Drive to a well lit, populated area. Drive at the speed limit and don't make evasive maneuvers that might cause the cop (if he is one) to pit you in an effort to terminate a pursuit.

Once you ID the cop as being legit, explain to him politely that you were concerned about his unmarked car and had been told to respond the way you did.

If they weren't legit, they would probably bug out once they realized they had an audience.
Posted by: oldman

Re: Unmarked car pullovers? - 06/22/05 02:23 PM

Based on my own experience and being an avid veiwer the"COPS" I can give you this advice. Always wear a shirt. I appears to be a little known fact of the universe that if there are 5 men standing on a corner and a squad pulls up it's always the guy without the shirt thats going downtown. What ya gonna do?

Matt I don't know if it would work that way for your wife or not.

Re: Unmarked car pullovers? - 06/22/05 02:24 PM

No worries, hunter. Looking back, I can see how my post would be taken that way. I edited it out.

I've seen many a flame-war started over sarcasm mistaken as personal abuse. (witnessed, not participated)

Re: Unmarked car pullovers? - 06/22/05 02:39 PM

oldman, u truly have paid attention and know our secrets.

my favorite is when a cop (looking for a warrant in group of guys) gets out and says, "hey, "insert name here" i need to speak with you." that guy ALWAYS looks at the guy sitting/standing next to him, to try and "lookoff" the cop. ive seen the "lookoff" work on rookies, they dont always know what the guy looks like that they are trying to find.

good stuff, watch COPS ul see it....
Kel

Re: Unmarked car pullovers? - 06/22/05 02:40 PM

Oldman -

Considering my wife's 36D's.....she usually gets her way.
Posted by: RangerG

Re: Unmarked car pullovers? - 06/22/05 07:39 PM

As a former Deputy Sheriff, the two acceptable methods for dealing with this in my part of PA were:

1. Pull over but open your window only about one inch and in a polite manner explain that you are concerned about the unmarked car, and ask that the officer call a marked car to the location. You have every right to ask for this. In some states you can even ask for a watch commander. If he will not, call 911.

2. Let the officer know you see him by waving, then put on your four way flashers and drive at the speed limit or just under to a populated location or police station. The wave and four way's let him/her know that you see them and are not trying to escape.

Hope this helps!
Posted by: Virgils

Re: Unmarked car pullovers? - 07/23/05 01:29 AM

I appreciate the superb advice, one further question from a case when there was a man in uniform with a gun doing the pullovers to take advantage of people, if you are not in a cell zone or dont have a cell phone the idea of driving with the flashers on seems to be good.
The lady kept on going when during the time period the other guy was at large when an unmarked car guy was waving people over in the dark, she kept driving and got a ticket. How would one know what to do if you didnt have a police friend or a good site like this to refer too.
Thanks again for you good advice.