College study for law enforcement

Posted by: SANCHIN31

College study for law enforcement - 05/20/05 07:18 PM

Hi all! I like the advice you all have given ket for his goals. Perhaps I can milk you guys for myself.
I'm 31 and currently work as a Q.A tech.I've done factory work all of my adult life :eek: Mostly computerizd numerical control machine operations. I joined the National guard when I was 24 and enjoy it very much. The problem is the place I work at now is moving everything to China sometime in the next few months. I feel I need to go back to school if I want to start a career in law enforcement. I've had courses before but nothing pertaining to that field.(CNC I+II,autocad,smartcam,etc,)and I do not have a degree. The guard will pay %100 tuition for school so cost won't be the problem,but what should I study? Someone told me spanish. What other steps should I take to get involved with law enforcement?
Thanks for reading and I appreciate your advice and responses!
Posted by: Fletch1

Re: College study for law enforcement - 05/21/05 04:34 PM

Your local Community (2 yr) College will likely have a program for people interested in pursuing a LE career. Check out their syllabus. It will likely include topics in Criminal Justice administration, human diversity, communications, investigations, criminal legal studies, etc. This can give you a nice overview as frequently the professors have field experience as well as academic qualifications.

Being functional if not fluent ina second language is also a big plus.

These courses also look good on a job application or resume.
Posted by: hunterkell

Re: College study for law enforcement - 05/23/05 09:13 AM

i just joined the AIR NATIONAL GUARD. be advised, the military branches are short of manpower (esp ARMY type) reference the GWOT and lots of people are getting hit with a deployment soon as they get finished with training. all services are currently seeing a high op tempo and it is a pretty good bet that you will be deployed, thus making it hard to go to school....

ive been before and i enlisted to serve my country so that's okay with me...

talk to a recruiter and maybe go to some military websites and talk to people.

maybe a service like the Coast Guard might be right for you (college money and no deployment).

as far as education is concerned, fletch1 is right, a 2 year degree would be relatively painless and not take too long....

hope this helps,
Kel

Re: College study for law enforcement - 05/23/05 06:15 PM

Quote:

i just joined the AIR NATIONAL GUARD. be advised, the military branches are short of manpower (esp ARMY type) reference the GWOT and lots of people are getting hit with a deployment soon as they get finished with training. all services are currently seeing a high op tempo and it is a pretty good bet that you will be deployed, thus making it hard to go to school....

I don't think my unit will be deployed anytime soon. We are currently changing our equipment.

Quote:

ive been before and i enlisted to serve my country so that's okay with me...

talk to a recruiter and maybe go to some military websites and talk to people.

maybe a service like the Coast Guard might be right for you (college money and no deployment).

as far as education is concerned, fletch1 is right, a 2 year degree would be relatively painless and not take too long....

hope this helps,
Kel

I'm already in the army guard. I don't think Arkansas has a coast guard. Thanks.
Posted by: nekogami13 V2.0

Re: College study for law enforcement - 05/23/05 11:35 PM

Quote:

. I don't think Arkansas has a coast guard. Thanks.

Coast Guard is federal, so no state has a coast guard.
Coast Guard is under the department of transportation, during war gets transfered to the department of the Navy.
Coast Guard does overseas deployment.

Re: College study for law enforcement - 05/24/05 03:41 AM

Quote:

Your local Community (2 yr) College will likely have a program for people interested in pursuing a LE career. Check out their syllabus. It will likely include topics in Criminal Justice administration, human diversity, communications, investigations, criminal legal studies, etc. This can give you a nice overview as frequently the professors have field experience as well as academic qualifications.

Being functional if not fluent ina second language is also a big plus.

These courses also look good on a job application or resume.

Thanks for the info Fletch1,that about covers it. What other suggestions do you have for breaking into that field?
Posted by: Fletch1

Re: College study for law enforcement - 05/24/05 08:10 AM

Check into the enrollment policies of the police/law enforcement academy. Some states (Florida for one) have open enrollment, meaning that after a background check, you can attend the academy unsponsored (on your own dime/ as a free agent) to become State Certified. Once you get through the academy, take the state exam and get your certificate. You won't be a LEO until you get hired somewhere and sworn in though.

This is a big advantage in the hiring process for many agencies as it saves them big $$$ on hiring you and sponsoring you for the academy.

If you don't already, get yourself a DA pistol (Glock/SW/Beretta/Sig) and become very familiar with it. Not all agencies furnish weapons to their officers and it will be nice to have your own to practice with before the academy. Keep it simple, no nickle plated/speed shooting/single action/scope mounted hand cannons.
Posted by: hunterkell

Re: College study for law enforcement - 05/24/05 10:18 AM

hey sanchin,

have you thought about joing the reserves or auxillary at an agency/department? it would give you a chance to take a look at a prospective employer and learn the culture of that particular agency and decide if you want to work there. many le agencys have a ride along program where (after passing a background check), a civilian can ride with a an officer (usually a field training officer) and then while you are riding with that officer it gives you a chance to pick his brain about the agency itself and things you can do to make yourself more employable....

in florida, as long as you have a good background and good work history it is not hard to get a job as a police officer. many smaller departments need qualified people, but this is because the larger dept's are paying more money and better benefits....

i am a florida police officer, so i dont know the situatin is arkansas.....

either way, good luck
Kel

Re: College study for law enforcement - 05/25/05 04:40 AM

Thanks Fletch,hunterkell! Those are very good ideas! I'll look into them.
Posted by: Bushi_no_ki

Re: College study for law enforcement - 06/06/05 12:26 AM

Sanchin, Shasta College has a full Adminstration of Justice Dept. It should be easy to get into. The only thing is, as a safegaurd, your firearm safety and such are required courses for the Police Sciences degree (it's and actual Associate of Sciences degree), so you have to pass the b/g check right off the bat.