teaching options

Posted by: Anonymous

teaching options - 02/08/05 06:48 PM

i understand that i may be asking for some long winded answers here, but bear with me.

A person who enjoys teaching martial arts has the following options.
1. store front school
2. teaching from home, or students homes
3. gyms, and y's, churches, etc.

the store front rates are pretty well known, but what about home instruction. do most people charge, per lesson, or per month. also what type of cost should the students be paying for well qualified instruction, in groups, or private lessons. also please let me know what area you are in
Posted by: kenposan

Re: teaching options - 02/08/05 08:15 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by martialway:
i understand that i may be asking for some long winded answers here, but bear with me.

A person who enjoys teaching martial arts has the following options.
1. store front school
2. teaching from home, or students homes
3. gyms, and y's, churches, etc.

the store front rates are pretty well known, but what about home instruction. do most people charge, per lesson, or per month. also what type of cost should the students be paying for well qualified instruction, in groups, or private lessons. also please let me know what area you are in
[/QUOTE]

I teach at home for $35 a month for one, one-hour lesson a week. I am not in it for the money obviously and would teach for free but I think that when someone pays for classes they are a bit more motivated.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: teaching options - 02/08/05 08:30 PM

thank you. how many students do you find comfortable at once and altogether how many do you teach on a regular basis
Posted by: kenposan

Re: teaching options - 02/09/05 07:35 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by martialway:
thank you. how many students do you find comfortable at once and altogether how many do you teach on a regular basis[/QUOTE]

Second part first: I only teach one student currently because I don't advertise, my students just find me.

As to how many I feel comfortable with: When I ran classes for my sensei, I had classes of around 20. That was his imposed limit for classes because he didn't feel he could provide good instruction to a group larger than that and I would have to agree for me as well. Anything bigger than that I just don't like it. I could probably handle more, but I think instruction would suffer.

When I taught kids at a mental health center I limited class to 10, but I was dealing with ODD and ADHD kids.

When I teach self defense classes, I limit them to 6-8 students because it's a time-limited course I need to make sure everyone learns what they need to learn in that time frame.

[This message has been edited by kenposan (edited 02-09-2005).]