Romance of the Three Kingdoms

Posted by: Anonymous

Romance of the Three Kingdoms - 02/06/05 02:33 PM

Hello everyone I just registered and a big martial arts fan and a fan of Asian culture. My main art is TaeKwon Do plus I am in a Black Club where I can learn things from additional arts.

Anyway I was wondering if anyone has read Romance of the Three Kingdoms. You may have played the video games like Dynasty Warriors or Kessen 2. ROTK is one of the first historical fiction books made and if you like Chinese literature or Chinese weapon arts you will like this books plus there are references to Sun Tzu's Art of War. I'm a big fan of the book and I was just wondering if any westerners here besides me have read them.

Re: Romance of the Three Kingdoms - 03/02/05 01:26 PM

I have read that book twice, though a translated version. It is very interesting, though in the end one can truly see how cruel history can be...if Shu had prevailed, the world MAY be a different place, for better or for worse. However, the Jin Dynasty did play an important role in Chinese History.

I was shocked to see how many fictional elements were added to the Koei games after I read the book (I read it after I began playing the Dynasty Warriors series). But what can you do.

Re: Romance of the Three Kingdoms - 03/05/05 05:14 PM

Yeah when I first played Dynasty Warriors 3 I was amazed and got really interested in that era and wondered if it really happened so I did some research and it lead me to the novel. Now I'm obsessed with the games, and I was shocked to hear of John Woo directing a movie soon called "War of the Red Cliff" which is the battle at Chi Bi. This movie should be coming out around when I graduate...I can't wait.