Philosophy

Posted by: TheWayToGod

Philosophy - 01/28/03 09:18 PM

I seem to be at a stand still with the arts. My Philosophy upon life is different then most of the people in the arts. my views are unheard of from my perspective on what i've heard. I believe that that path to god is through the fight, that our flesh and blood hold all the knowledge of our existence. and personnal i feel more alive when fighting,
Posted by: Cato

Re: Philosophy - 01/29/03 02:16 AM

Do you not think that one of the great assets of the martial arts is that they can mean so many different things to so many people? I think you get from the arts what you bring to them, so if you're a spiritual person (and personally, I'm not) practising can be a spiritual experience.

I don't see anything particularly wrong with "standing still" for a while, and taking time out from the competitive way in which most of live. Perhaps more of us should do exactly that from time to time. I also don't see anything wrong with having a different outlook on your training than most other people, when all is said and done we each of us train for our own reasons. So long as you enjoy training and get something from it, then what else is there to train for?

Budo
Posted by: taebot

Re: Philosophy - 01/29/03 04:19 AM

Your philosophy probably leads to your feeling of being at a standstill. A philosophy that rejects the nobility of life for a Malthusian outlook is going to leave one hollow at those points when one is not consuming and dominating. Hence, inner peace becomes a true threat because it implies lack of progress via struggle or strife.

Do you feel more alive when you are getting the living dog snot beat out of you?
Posted by: Cato

Re: Philosophy - 01/29/03 01:09 PM

I'm sorry Mr. Taebot, but that seems like just a load of old crap to me. I'm quite prepared to accept that it only seems that way 'cos I don't understand, so to help me on my way, would you answer a couple of questions please:

What exactly does the good Reverend Malthus have to do with rejecting "the nobility of life"? And how does following his philosophy leave one hollow?

Oh, and why would inner peace imply anything at all, let alone become a threat?

Budo
Posted by: TheWayToGod

Re: Philosophy - 01/29/03 01:24 PM

Yes i do. honestly when battling I feel as if my purpose is right in front of me.
Posted by: judderman

Re: Philosophy - 01/29/03 02:30 PM

Perhaps it is not your philosphy that is a fault but yourself.

pehaps you feel alive because you are engrossed in your opponent. You forget yourself. This is not philosophy, this is insecurity.
You feel most alive when proving yourself?

You are not your body. Your body is nothing without you, just a lump of flesh and bone.

If in the true essence you forget who and what you are and there is only the clarity of motion, then there you will find the path to godhead.

The fact that you are disappointed in your philosophy (at a stand still) shows there is a flaw somewhere....

Good luck in your search.

Budo.
Posted by: Kotetsu

Re: Philosophy - 07/21/03 10:46 PM

Ah, flashbacks to scenes of Vy Low speaking to Gau. From the shadow skill movie. Anyways, I personally don't believe in God but I do believe we can express ourselves through fighting. Besides fighting is fun, no other way to get that fun.
Posted by: sophia

Re: Philosophy - 01/04/04 09:04 PM

Think you might be on to something here WTG. Sounds a little reminiscent of Hegel’s phenomenology of the spirit. Your post didn’t lead me to think of Malthus at all (could somebody explain the link to me). There are some passages where Hegel talks about recognition of self and other only through combat processes where the subject is faced with death. It’s a tad more layered and complicated (Hegel tends to be very complicated) than that but the similarity is striking nonetheless. As for the idea about everything being present in the blood and bones it resonates with the still lively discourse on physicalism. The bondage of Hegelian Idea with physicalism is normally linked in turn to Marx’s dialectical materialism, but that does not seem to be the direction your post about feeling alive during the fight and being at standstill in a larger sense seem to sign to. The general feeling seems to lean more towards the eventual realization of non-teleological existentialism, another intellectual offspring of/ reaction to, Hegel.

Like to read more from this thread later [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Philosophy - 10/11/04 11:01 PM

The only purpose philosphy serves is perspective.

artists, poets, and scholars are philosphers.

So are hunters, fighters, and scientists, the only difference that the latter proves their philosophy true in how they live.

If the philosphy itself does not inspire, then it is useless.

God is not a pacifist hippy liberal equal rights fighter for the universe.

GOD IS DEFINETELY A WARRIOR.

ALL THAT HE CREATES, FIGHTS FOR PRIORITY IN TIME AND SPACE.

YOU HAVE TO FIGHT TO SURVIVE, AND YOU HAVE TO COUNTER THE IMAGINATION WITH A STRONGER WILL IN ORDER TO EVOLVE.

I DONT CARE WHO SAYS WHAT, THE DISICPLINED MIND IS FAR SUPERIOR TO WONDERING MIND.

SOME SEARCH FOR TRUTH.

OTHERS PROVE THEIR OWN TRUTH.

[This message has been edited by USAGUNZ (edited 10-11-2004).]
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Philosophy - 10/27/04 10:49 AM

I like the idea of your philosophy.

I too feel alive when fighting/sparing. I alway felt like it was a way to calm an over active mind.
Posted by: yuji1000

Re: Philosophy - 08/16/05 01:54 AM

god and martial arts are two very different things.
Posted by: glad2bhere

Re: Philosophy - 08/22/05 10:08 AM

Dear "Way":

In the Hapkido arts, the Purpose of the art is to produce an individual who has the character to act to restore the Hwa of the community when it is disrupted. For us the guidelines are the O-Gae and the challenge is to face-down our demons such that we aspire to something greater than ourselves. I mention all of this because I think you may be oriented the right way as far as seeking out good outcomes for conflicts. What I see is a risk that you may become enamoured of the method (fighting) over the goal. I have known a lot of folks who once they develop good skills at fighting whether it be with their fists in the ring, or with their minds in a debate, that they begin to seek out conflicts not to produce good ends but to revel in the fight for its own sake. Just a thought.

Best Wishes,

Bruce
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Philosophy - 08/22/05 10:22 AM

Wow, I didn't know TheWayToGod was still here after 8 posts and 2 1/2 years.
Posted by: harlan

Re: Philosophy - 08/22/05 10:24 AM

You know, I DID suggest months ago to the moderators, that old threads be reviewed for permanent 'closing'. I was told that mods don't like to 'prematurely' close things...after all something good might come from it.

Or, perhaps it is time to get moderators for all the forums? The unmoderated forums are the backdoors to the Razwells (sp?).

Re: Philosophy - 08/22/05 10:31 AM

You're right, we don't like to prematurely close threads, I was just letting Bruce know (yes, in a sarcastic way) that addressing his post "Dear 'Way'" would be about as productive as addressing a letter to Emilia Earhart. We don't "know" that they're gone, but there is no evidence to support that they are still here.

Re: Philosophy - 08/22/05 10:39 AM

Well, as you pointed out in another thread...it is a public forum but replies should address the topic (and by inference...the original poster).

Will PM you.

Re: Philosophy - 08/22/05 10:51 AM

Yes, but also as a moderator it is part of our duties to guide discussions. I was merely making sure that if this discussion continued that it be continued from a point of Bruce's comments because WTG is not here to comment on his own behalf and because that discussion is 2 1/2 years old, therefore over.

End of off-topic discussion on this thread.(for everybody)

Re: Philosophy - 10/07/05 07:54 AM

Thread closed. Original topic not in line in forum policy...thread not deleted in deference to Joel's comments.