Japanese married names

Posted by: trevek

Japanese married names - 05/13/07 11:49 AM

Just watched the whole of Evangelion and noticed one of the male characters seems to take his wife's name when they marry. Is this usual in Japanese society?
Posted by: Taison

Re: Japanese married names - 05/13/07 01:03 PM

This is from what I've heard which I would take a grain of salt when reading.

If the family is a long line descent for like maybe 15 generation, and the current generation, the successor, is female then sometimes the groom may have to use the bride's family-name in order to continue the family name.

I'm not sure if this is true, but that's what I've heard.

-Taison out

Re: Japanese married names - 05/14/07 02:11 AM

Sounds logical, or maybe the social status of the family 'overruling' the other.

Thanks

Re: Japanese married names - 05/14/07 04:25 AM

Quote:

Sounds logical, or maybe the social status of the family 'overruling' the other.

Thanks

More or less.

Also imagine if family 'A' got two sons, while family 'B' only got 1 daughter. The eldest son from family 'A' would carry on the name, while the youngest son from family 'A' would carry on B's family name.

-Taison out
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Japanese married names - 05/14/07 07:17 PM

wouldn't say it's usual...but I'll ask next time we skype family over in Japan.

for interracial couples, sometimes it's easier to adopt the native last name. Japan in particular has some peculiar rules about having registered kanji names vs. kana names....especially if the interacial couple have kids.
My kids' mother is Japanese, and we decided the kids under her name. so they could also have kanji for their first names, we gave them Japanese middle names. So when the kids are in Japan, they legally have their middle name + mothers family name. When in the US they have their english first names + Japanese middle + my family last name.

why so complicated? The Japanese system of kanji vs. kana names is discriminitory....same way the US or any country sortof is with hard to pronounce foreign names. We decided it's easier on the kids to just conform.

so there is another possibility for spouse/kids to adopt the mother's family name: conformity.

Re: Japanese married names - 05/15/07 06:40 AM

Like I said Ed, it's just hear-saying. I can't verify my sources so. . bleah.

-Taison out

Re: Japanese married names - 05/16/07 03:50 AM

seems you were right

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%C3%A9e#Japan