Should Okinawa be it's own country?

Posted by: Ed_Morris

Should Okinawa be it's own country? - 04/08/07 11:00 PM

Should Okinawa regain it's sovernty and separate itself from Japan annexation?

a big question for Okinawans thats been going on since 1879.

ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryukyu_independence_movement

discuss your thoughts.
Posted by: Mr_Heretik

Re: Should Okinawa be it's own country? - 04/09/07 01:18 AM

I wonder if the "no politics" rule applies to this. I'm going to vote no.
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: Should Okinawa be it's own country? - 04/09/07 08:12 AM

I think that they would be better off as part of Japan. I have little knowledge on the situation, but I will say this:

It is a small island that is associated with the 2nd largest economy in the world. GDP and quality of life may suffer if it goes it alone.

I know there are other reasons behind the push for independence, but economic considerations cannot be ignored. As they say in re the main issue of anything in politics "Its the economy, stupid!"

There was an article online I read a while back stating that ofthe majority Okinawan's would prefer to be part of Japan and have USA influence in the area removed completely. I don't know if that is a fair reflection of opinion in Okinawa, as it may not be up to date, and the article in question was to do with the validity of USA in Okinawa. In other words, it wasn't that Okinawa wanted to be part of Japan, rather that they would not have USA armed forces there. Essentially, the question was "Would you rather Japan be in total control of Okinawa than have the USA forces there?" rather than "Would you like to stay as part of Japan?"
Posted by: harlan

Re: Should Okinawa be it's own country? - 04/09/07 08:15 AM

I think considering the history, and China's continued expansion into other countries, I think it would be safer to stay aligned with Japan than out on it's own.

But if they vote to go it alone...more power to them.
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Should Okinawa be it's own country? - 04/10/07 01:20 AM

logic tells me the same. but I can't help wondering if Okinawan culture is self-defined or does an assimilation continue to happen over time?

I'm not saying the gain of Japanese culture is a bad thing, nor am I wishing to debate the political issues (which I'm not even fully aware of anyway).

I'm sortof wondering does Okinawan/Ryukyu culture go away unless they become independant? is developing economics a higher priority than allowing their culture to individually develop? maybe it's not how the world is anymore - no one is isolated and independantly influenced in a world economy with accessability, communication and high trade.

maybe it's no longer a Japan/Okinawa question, but a global one.
Posted by: harlan

Re: Should Okinawa be it's own country? - 04/10/07 08:05 AM

I think all the interesting cultures in the world are fast dissappearing under the guise of 'globalization'.
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: Should Okinawa be it's own country? - 04/10/07 12:29 PM

Okinwa has been under the Japanese sphere of influence since the 1500's, but before the modern era (say steam ships, etc.), it's likely the influence of Japan was slight, as they were what they were.

By the 1900's the Japanese strongly started influencing the education system (for the youth of the leaders) adopting the Prussian style as the rest of Japan was following. Such as shaving the top knott.

During WWII Okinawa was simply used by Japan as they saw fit, and in return had a terrible loss of life during the invasion.

In that the USA didn't see any reason to separate Okinawa from Japan, the formal occupation (till 1972) was just a holding action to let Japan take over, which they did. In return the Japanese allowed the USA to control close to 1/2 of the island for their military bases. A win for Japan, keeping them away from the main Island.

Today outside of the ongoing military occupation, Okinawa is simply a tourist, vacation destination. Lots of beaches, and that's probably the growth industry.

Through control of the education system and the rebuilding that began in 1972, by Japan, more and more Japanese standads took over.

There are many local traditions that remain, but the Japanese karate organizations are working hard to wrestle control of events on Okinawa to allow their standards to be used, using economic force to make it happen. The reason, world wide control of the cash flow, IMO.

The issue is very complex but I suspect Okinawa would rather have both the USA and Japan leave allowing them to just be the tourist destination they've become, and allow their own development.
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: Should Okinawa be it's own country? - 04/17/07 12:09 PM

Hello Morris-San:

<<Should Okinawa regain it's sovernty and separate itself from Japan annexation?

Not being an Okinawan, I do not know my opinion has any merit frankly. Autonomy, I believe would be of enormous value to their culture. Financially I do not believe such would be remotely plausible... the current situation seems a curious parallel to their position with the Chinese Empire many centuries ago. A pragmatic necessity...

J
Posted by: Riou

Re: Should Okinawa be it's own country? - 06/18/07 07:10 PM

Quote:

The issue is very complex but I suspect Okinawa would rather have both the USA and Japan leave allowing them to just be the tourist destination they've become, and allow their own development.

Sorry to revive a dead thread but I just had to reply to this.

The people who actually care about Okinawa's future don't want Okinawa to become another "Tourist Destination". They want Okinawa to thrive like any other Country. They do not want to be a poor, uneducated Nation.

The reason they want United States out is because they have overstayed their Welcome. The Occupation has not benefited Okinawans one bit. America has done Nothing for Okinawa after W.W.II except take her lands and cause trouble.

Have you ever heard of Hong Kong or Singapore? Islands are both relatively similar in size, if Okinawa is not bigger. These are the models of success that Okinawans want to achieve. The future they believe in, is a Country of Strong Education.

Many people believe there is also no future in being controlled by Japan. They want the Okinawa Prefecture to become the Republic of Ryukyu. An Independent State of Japan. Much like Hong Kong is to China.
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: Should Okinawa be it's own country? - 06/19/07 09:26 AM

Okinawa being part of Japan is a large part of the issue.

The Japanese want the protection the American military present on Okinawa provides, it allows them not to spend money on their military to a large degree. Being able to keep those forces away from the mainland is a win-win from the Japanes point of view.

Of course why would the Okinawan's feel the same way. The American military presence is a large part of the Okinawan economy today, after all they control 1/2 of the island.

A tourist business is a good one, and Okinawa is prime tourist property. Obtaining control over the rest of the island would give the Okinawan people more space for economic development.

But it's not so easy to dis-entangle the Japanese and American presence, and the Japanese consider Okinawa part of Japan too.

A very complex and problematic sad issue.
Posted by: jpoor

Re: Should Okinawa be it's own country? - 06/21/07 01:02 PM

Quote:

America has done Nothing for Okinawa after W.W.II except take her lands and cause trouble.

And prop up _her_ economy. . .