Sake&Tea

Posted by: Zyranyth

Sake&Tea - 09/27/06 04:12 PM

I was invited to my iaido organisations "weekend sushi workshop", and was told that everyone should bring their own drinks, preferrably oriental since it's a sort of japanese themed dinner.

Does anyone know about proper preparation of sake and green tea? And what about the serving? What did they traditionally drink with sushi? Anything else related to japanese dinner ceremonies? Any suggested reading (websites preferrably)?
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Sake&Tea - 09/28/06 04:06 PM

BYOT? bring your own tea?

If it's formal and traditional...then you wouldn't have to bring your own. If they told me that, I'd show up with a six pack of Arizona Green Tea.

and I'm serious. A formal dinner but 'bring your own' is insulting. bring something you like and something that is conveinent - since they aren't playing to Japanese social rules correctly, why should you.

Re: Sake&Tea - 09/29/06 01:34 AM

It's not that formal, more of friends gathering to spend time together. Or tbh, I don't know, I've only been training iaido for such a short time I don't really know the people yet.

Food is provided by the host, and I think the BYO drinks is more because of people having different tastes.

Regardless, I was wondering about the traditions out of my own curiosity, not because it's necessary or enforced or anything.

Re: Sake&Tea - 09/29/06 07:14 AM

ah, sorry - misunderstood. in that case I'd bring a 6-pack of water.

Re: Sake&Tea - 09/29/06 07:20 AM

House provides water too.

I've heard sake tastes bad, but as I've never tried it myself, I'm propably stupid enough to buy a bottle.

Re: Sake&Tea - 09/29/06 08:47 AM

personally, I think sake tastes like lighter fluid, and gives a hangover worse than any wine sold by the gallon.

there are hot and cold sake...at least with the hot, it's easier to down it....but you still should have a chaser nearby.
Posted by: aoishi

Re: Sake&Tea - 09/29/06 03:12 PM

That's why you should try "Shochu", Ed.

Mixes with anything. Virtually tasteless. No hangover (I swear!)

Also, real expensive sake does not taste like lighter fluid.

Re: Sake&Tea - 10/01/06 01:53 PM

I WAS talking about the expensive stuff. lol aquired taste.
Posted by: butterfly

Re: Sake&Tea - 10/05/06 01:10 AM

Have to agree with Ed here. There is something reminiscent of nail polish about sake. Now, a good single malt is something that no rice made alcoholic beverage can shine a candle to!

Re: Sake&Tea - 10/06/06 07:52 AM

Way off topic, but since we got into discussing personal tastes, I'll have to admit I'm a diehard beer man myself. White and red wine are ok too, but mostly just with food.

Beer 4tw.
(not the watered down sort you have in america.. european lagers! =D)
Posted by: stormbringer

Re: Sake&Tea - 10/09/06 08:57 AM

Quote:

Beer 4tw.
(not the watered down sort you have in america.. european lagers! =D)

Aaugh ! My first and only beer was one of those. Sort of getting back to the topic: I've never had Sake, and now I don't think I want to. I prefer whiskey, vodka, or wine (mostly Sangria).
Posted by: Tashigae

Re: Sake&Tea - 02/11/07 06:29 AM

Sorry but as a Frenchman, I couldn't decently let you call sangria a "wine" without displaying a sign of high disapproval. Here it is:

Sangria is to wine what playing "Street Fighter" is to practicing martial arts.

(By the way, how comes you have a French word as your title? Are you Cajun?)
Posted by: RickMatz

Re: Sake&Tea - 02/15/07 09:51 PM

There is simply NOTHING on Earth worse than a sake hangover.
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: Sake&Tea - 02/15/07 11:20 PM

Hello Zyranyth:

I take it you drink neither of the two aforementioned drinks?

If you don't want to go the Sake route, bring a bag of your "favorite" loose tea (the large bag of loose tea)... possibly a tea pot... some extra mugs maybe? If not mugs then substitute the hot cups that you pour coffee/tea into used at the local quickmart, wawa, fastmart, etc.

Tea in the large bag would likely be more affordable too in most cases I would think?

Jeff