Vacation in japan.

Posted by: TKDBB

Vacation in japan. - 07/24/06 12:39 PM

Hi, I'm going to Japan on Saturday. Is there anything I should know before leaving such as how to act, eating, etc.?
Posted by: kusojiji

Re: Vacation in japan. - 07/24/06 01:04 PM

Where are you going?
Posted by: aoishi

Re: Vacation in japan. - 07/24/06 02:47 PM

Don't blow your nose at the table (...I hate that...).

Oh yeah, where are you going?

Re: Vacation in japan. - 07/24/06 03:23 PM

Don't stick the waribashi up your nose and do walrus impersonations before at least 11PM.
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Vacation in japan. - 07/24/06 03:32 PM

just be yourself and they'll forgive you for being a foreigner.

some tips though, pretty much same as the west:
* don't jaywalk.
* do ask for a fork if your chopstick skills will force you to eat with your fingers.
* do burp as loud as possible after eating while rubbing and exposing your stomach (kidding. dont do that.)
* stay to the left side on a busy sidewalk.
* don't litter.

different from west:
* don't tip.
* don't try to hug someone unless both of you are drunk.
* don't walk on tatame with shoes on.
* don't try to navigate the subway/bus system without help....you'll end up lost.

have fun.
Posted by: TKDBB

Re: Vacation in japan. - 07/24/06 05:09 PM

I'm going to Yokohama but I'll be spending two days in Kyoto and 1 day in Tokyo.

Re: Vacation in japan. - 07/24/06 09:03 PM

I'd recommend several more days in Kyoto if you could. You really should hit Nara as well.
Posted by: paradoxbox

Re: Vacation in japan. - 07/24/06 10:07 PM

Don't talk to strangers unless you're trying to pick up a girlfriend. If you're trying to do that well, you're on your own. Look up nanpa.

It's ok to slurp ramen. But don't spill it all over yourself.

Don't pour soy sauce into a bowl of rice. However normal you think it is, it's not!

Don't pass food with the end of chopsticks you just ate with, that's gross. Use the back end.

Try to use Japanese when you can. You'll be popular just for trying.

Get a JR rail pass. You can pick one up for between 20 and 60 bucks USD. Here's the page in English. Make sure you have the right visa, they aren't kidding about the temporary visitor thing. http://www.japanrailpass.net/eng/en003.html

Re: Vacation in japan. - 07/24/06 10:18 PM

Quote:

Don't talk to strangers unless you're trying to pick up a girlfriend.

You don't need to be worried about talking to strangers. In fact, it's not unusual for strangers to stop and help out gaijin looking particularly lost in train stations and such. In fact, the time you should NOT be randomly talking to strangers is if you are looking for a girlfriend. Nothing cheesier and more unwelcome than that. The kind of girlfriend you'll get that way is the same kind you'd get in the US by bothering random women.

Be a normal human being. Be polite. Listen more than you speak. Some things are kind of obvious.

Re: Vacation in japan. - 07/28/06 08:26 PM

Well whatever, it worked for me
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: Vacation in japan. - 07/29/06 09:44 AM

Quote:

The kind of girlfriend you'll get that way is the same kind you'd get in the US by bothering random women.

I like that.

"Excuse me, are you a random woman?"

Re: Vacation in japan. - 07/30/06 03:20 AM

Here, don't take my word for it:

http://www3.tky.3web.ne.jp/~edjacob/nampa1.htm

pathetic - 07/30/06 09:01 AM

Like I said....

Re: pathetic - 07/31/06 03:56 PM

You have an attitude problem. I'm asking you politely to stop your hostile, childish behavior. Thanks.
Posted by: harlan

Re: pathetic - 07/31/06 04:02 PM

Yo...Paradox...take it to PM. Thanks.

Back on topic...please.

Re: pathetic - 07/31/06 08:46 PM

Good idea. Take it to PM if you have something to say to me, otaku.

Re: pathetic - 07/31/06 10:28 PM

K: what does 'otaku' mean?

Re: pathetic - 07/31/06 10:39 PM

Sorry, that message was meant for Paradox. 'Otaku' is basically a geek, which is what the greasy clowns who accost women on the street as part of some performance for each other really are. As for what the rare women who give such creatures the time of day are...well, I guess you can figure out a few appropriate terms for that...

Re: pathetic - 07/31/06 10:41 PM

Do not call people names on this forum.
Posted by: ANDY44

Re: pathetic - 08/04/06 05:31 PM

Behave your self kusojiji san and do what your good at like talking about grappling.

watashi wa shinken sen des ka
bet the spelling is wrong

Re: pathetic - 08/09/06 10:43 PM

The funny thing about kusojiji is, he says he's trained for over 30 years, yet uses the speech of teenaged females from Tokyo (Incorrectly, no less!).. draw your own conclusions.

Alas I have been baited. I shall refrain from further comment
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: pathetic - 08/09/06 11:17 PM

man, is THIS thread appropriately titled. Kuji-kun: otaku might mean 'geek' now, but it used to mean something much more derrogatory along the lines of 'pervert'. I'm starting to wonder if you really lived in Japan or maybe just isolated with other gaijin in a JET program dorm or something.

I'd suggest in this forum in particular to refrain from foreign language insults...especially people trying to look cool by googling japanese swear words.

Re: pathetic - 08/10/06 07:56 AM

Paradox...don't make me hit you with my zen-less stick!

Cool down time.