Miyazaki Month---Missed it

Posted by: JoelM

Miyazaki Month---Missed it - 01/27/06 12:22 AM

http://www.turnerclassicmovies.com/thismonth/article/?cid=114160

Just watched Pom Poko, a brilliant yet tragic commentary on urban sprawl. Watched Princess Mononoke a couple of weeks ago and loved that one as well. Spirited Away was my first intro to Miyazaki, I loved the images, but felt it took 2 hours to tell very little of a story(still enjoyed it).

I am not sure if they will be showing any more of his movies, TCM played them on Thursdays this month, and there are no more thursdays.

I just wanted to share Miyazaki with others who haven't experienced him. I definitely will be renting his other movies in the future.
Posted by: kusojiji

Re: Miyazaki Month---Missed it - 01/27/06 02:01 AM

Quote:

Spirited Away was my first intro to Miyazaki, I loved the images, but felt it took 2 hours to tell very little of a story(still enjoyed it).

No man, there's all kinds of symbolism and metaphor and junk in each scene of those stories. There's more than meets the eye on first viewing.
Posted by: LastGURU

Re: Miyazaki Month---Missed it - 01/30/06 08:23 PM

the whole Ghibli studio is a gem. try watching Hotaru no Haka together with your family - it has an extremely strong effect, i consider it one of the best dramas ever, even though dramas are not my thing. my most favourite animated works are mononoke hime and kaze no tani no naushika.

and my favourite song comes from tenkuu no shiru rapyuta