MA

Posted by: trevek

MA - 01/17/06 05:17 PM

I tried googling it but didn't get much of use. Can anyone give me some low-down on the Japanese concept of ma? I believe it has something to do with the relationship of things and their space.
Posted by: oldman

Re: MA - 01/17/06 05:40 PM

Ma-ai

Ma-ai refers to the critical distance between opponents, a point at which forces are essentially neutral, but where anything can happen. Fundamental to ma-ai is "ma," roughly defined as the way something (or someone) moves through space over time. Many teachers have stated that ma "cannot be taught," either one has this sense of timing, or one does not. However, ma can be enhanced and developed through training. An iaidoka (a student of iaido) who has a good, well-developed sense of ma has an uncanny sense of time and distance. Combined with a sense of zanshin, it is the difference between a merely competent practitioner and a great one. As in other traditional martial art forms, the ma-ai of iaido embodies the concept of the sphere of protection, but in this case the circle is extended by the use of the sword.

From FA.com
Posted by: trevek

Re: MA - 01/18/06 05:08 AM

Thanks Oldman, to be honest, I had only seen the word bandied around in discussions of art and architecture. Nice to know it relates to MA.
Posted by: SandraRubart

Desperate Housewives : Choosing room colors with virtual painting software - 03/28/08 11:40 AM

Spammer gets the hammer!
Posted by: MattJ

ATTN MODS SPAMMER - 03/28/08 11:47 AM

ban please