Asian decorations in the home

Posted by: BrianS

Asian decorations in the home - 11/21/05 01:01 AM

I was thinking of decorating my room with an eastern accent. What sort of things would you recommend? Kanji posters? Bansai trees? Katanas?
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: Asian decorations in the home - 11/21/05 01:45 AM

Brian, 'eastern' is so wide. Your list appears to confine itself to 'japanese' however.

How about Goju ryu's founder? better than Bruce's testosterone poster; on second thoughts it may be right up your alley

Bonsais are hell to maintain, because they are all wannabe trees, and watering has to be just right; drowning is the number one cause of bonsai deaths.

You have to be careful with the katana. If you do anything 'eastern', you have to believe in 'Feng Shui' -- the art of correct arrangement / placement of artifacts with directional imperatives to achieve a harmonious flow and interaction of chi between the human inhabitants and the artifacts.

A katana has "sah chi" -- killing chi, because, unlike a kitchen knife, it has the primary objective of killing another human being. The point is where do you 'point' the sword and where in the room is the sharp / business 'cutting?' If all this is nonsense to you, then it doesn't matter.

I don't want to do too much here; give others, especially Ed who has an eastern wife.

Re: Asian decorations in the home - 11/21/05 01:54 AM

Yes, I suppose I'm leaning more toward japanese/okinawan type stuff. BTW,no offense,but all that stuff is nonsenes to me. A poster of Myagi sounds nice though. I jsut don't want someone to come in and freak out thinking I'm trying to be a wannabe or think I'm ethnically/culturally confused.
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Asian decorations in the home - 11/21/05 07:51 AM

Just for the record, my ex-wife is Japanese... I'm living with the kids in the US now and their mom is in Japan and has re-married.

my only tip is not to try to make a room look 'Asian' or it will end up looking like a cheap Chinese food restaurant.

look at some simple room designs and get ideas. I'll provide links to the thread later...

Re: Asian decorations in the home - 11/21/05 07:59 AM

Quote:

it will end up looking like a cheap Chinese food restaurant

or a sushi bar with an attitude

Re: Asian decorations in the home - 11/21/05 08:06 AM

Thanks Ed, that's what I want to try to avoid. I want it to have taste,not look like crap.

Re: Asian decorations in the home - 11/21/05 09:19 AM

I'll just throw ideas out based on random searching...Ed's martha stewart impression (not):

I've always like ikebana - it seems simple and tasteful. bamboo is a good image (and easy to care for, just stick it in water lol)

this gives an overall asian kindof look and feel without being tacklessly obvious about it (although the chairs don't look too comfy):
http://images.scrippsweb.com/HGTV/2004/12/30/leavy_AsianLivingRoom_e.jpg
http://images.forbes.com/images/2004/11/10/suite5_420x306.jpg

sometimes you can find interesting looking stuff...I like natural looking materials (plus they are easier to match to one other) this place looks pretty cool, expensive as hell but just for ideas:
http://www.tokaimall2.com/shop/style/interior/asian/index.html
check these out:
http://www.sumipower.com/interior/shop/lamp/
http://www.sumipower.com/cargo/in-asiancafe-e.htm
looks cool, and it's basically just a lamp inside a waste paper basket. lol

posters/paintings:
again, simple and not touristy with colorful dragons and block kanji characters is better to avoid.
I'm biased to Japanese Art, but thats only from lack of exposure to other Asian cultures.
http://www.asianart.com/phpforum/pictures/8252_Kano_painting_thumbnail.jpg
http://www.bu.edu/bridge/archive/2004/01-23/photos/10.jpg
http://darticus.net/clients/Tom%20Lambert/scrolls/vase/flowers2.jpg
although, as I look...this Chinese one catches the eye: http://www.ejfrankel.com/graphic/fs/rsga_14_painting.jpg
strangly enough, when I looked for an example of a tacky painting, I found 'Eds Chinese painting' lol
http://www.academyoffineartists.ca/Images/Ed's-Chinese-Painting.gif
also, I think you have to be real careful when putting up something with a dragon.

random ideas...have fun.

Re: Asian decorations in the home - 11/22/05 12:00 AM

Cool! That gives me lots of ideas! I think I'll avoid any dragons altogether.
What do you think about the tsuba prints? I like the samurai armor picture. I saw some bamboo stuff here at a place in town too.
Do you think two katana on the fireplace mantle is a bad idea? Anyone?
Posted by: harlan

Re: Asian decorations in the home - 11/22/05 08:39 AM

I thinking hanging swords is a terrible idea unless you are going make darn sure they can't come off the wall.

Re: Asian decorations in the home - 11/22/05 11:03 AM

Quote:

I thinking hanging swords is a terrible idea unless you are going make darn sure they can't come off the wall.

Understandable.

You see, hanging swords on walls is a male thing; its a phallic symbol. Brain wants to hang two! and presumably in a crossed-sword pattern.

Re: Asian decorations in the home - 11/22/05 11:16 AM

I doubt Mr. 'Stone' needs to compensate in that area. Perhaps he should consider a nice 'rock garden'?

Question to Brian: is the whole room going to get a makeover, or just 'dressing it up a bit' in temporary digs? If the latter, I would check out the most used 'line of sight', or a high impact area (like a window), and think about 'nature' as a theme.

For example, my office is a refurbished dorm (think Army...it was built to house ex-GI's). Not much one can do around desks, file cabinets, etc. But the window has 'evolved' with cast off plants, odd knick-knacks (Japanese bean bags, origami, etc), a zen/rock water fountain a coworker gave me.

More 'zen' than 'Asian'.
Posted by: BuDoc

Re: Asian decorations in the home - 11/22/05 12:54 PM

No room is complete without a "Velvet Elvis" painting.

Use your imagination. You don't have to have the one where he is in the blue sequined jumpsuit. You can get one with him in a gi!

Classy and MA related! Hang it above your heart-shaped, rotating, vibrating bed(the one with the purple velour comforter) and you'll have to beat the chicks back with a stick!!

Page

Re: Asian decorations in the home - 11/22/05 07:43 PM

oh, you want 'love dojo' ideas? lol velvet Buddha anyone?

ah...I know what you are trying to do Brian...you are re-decorate your place to match your new fightingarts.com award!

Re: Asian decorations in the home - 11/23/05 12:26 AM

lol ok. I get the feeling everyone thinks I'm silly with this idea. The swords wouldn't be on a wall I said on the mantle(it's the thing above the fireplace) and on a stand.
The whole room would be centered around my award,kidding. I'll put up in the hall by my certificates.

I'd kind of like the whole room,but not too much stuff in there. I just don't want it to look tacky. Maybe I should hire a japanese girl to do it? Or get a japanese girlfriend for a while!
Know any good pick up lines Ed?

Re: Asian decorations in the home - 11/23/05 12:42 AM

Anata no dojo ka boku no ka?

"Your dojo or mine?"

Re: Asian decorations in the home - 11/23/05 12:56 AM

Quote:

Anata no dojo ka boku no ka?

"Your dojo or mine?"

That'll probably get me slapped.It probably says "At the end of the day,I am still an ugly boy."

Re: Asian decorations in the home - 11/23/05 10:05 AM

Brian,

Just a quick side note. Before we get back to the silliness.

I think a tastefully done asian inspired room is a very nice look.

We don't think the idea of you doing it is silly. I'd like to do it myself, but it doesn't often work with the South Florida/Carribeann theme.

Maybe you could hire a design consultant. This doesn't have to be an expensive venture (although it can be). $50-$75 will get someone to your home for about an hour and give you ideas, hear yours and get back to you in a few days with pictures of accessories,paint/color schemes etc.

It's when you get them to implement those ideas, that it starts adding up

FWIW

Page
Posted by: phoenixsflame

Re: Asian decorations in the home - 11/23/05 12:25 PM

I like the Japanese decor, one thing to rememebr is minimalism when it comes to that sort of thing though. Otherwise it looks more like a whore house done up like a massage studio for my tastes

Seriously though. My old house used to be completely Japanese in design, it took me about three years to do fully then I got divorced and we sold it to split up the money, lol. Thus...

Don't do it with a partner, you'll only get your balls handed to you.

Re: Asian decorations in the home - 11/23/05 12:45 PM

There is a joke there somewhere!!!

Page

Re: Asian decorations in the home - 11/23/05 01:37 PM

...I'm not going there. besides, I donated my gold balls to Sanchin31.

Brian, everybody likes a theme to decor. If you are doing it for yourself, then I suggest the same as budoc, consult a consultant.
If you are doing it to get layed, don't take any chances...decorate it yourself.

Re: Asian decorations in the home - 11/24/05 01:08 AM

Quote:

There is a joke there somewhere!!!

Maybe Brian can tell us

I find this homely Thread enlightening (not in the zenish sense)

Here I find caucasians wanting to decorate in the 'asian' style, whereas I (an ethnic chinese) have in a small way done my place in a kind of old country western, unsuccessfully I might add and ended up, as Phoenix says, with a country western whorehouse, minus the large red carpetted staircase and the equally large mama.

Maybe too many John Wayne movies.

Re: Asian decorations in the home - 11/24/05 01:23 AM

Quote:

Don't do it with a partner, you'll only get your balls handed to you.

Unfortunately,that'll never happen now.

Doing it to get layed? HA!!!! no.Just for myself,I've always been intrigued by japanese art and such.

Not going to have too much stuff in there,a bamboo thingy,a couple of pictures like the ones in the link Ed gave. (no stinking dragons though,lol.)
Noone has commented on the swords yet? Two on a stand on the mantle? Anyone? Bad idea?Good?

Re: Asian decorations in the home - 11/24/05 07:49 AM

Quote:

Just for myself

You are trying to lay yourself? In that case the Japanese line I gave earlier might not work....suggest to go more coy and subtle. take yourself out to dinner first...don't say 'yes' too much, etc. lol

I think you've got the right idea about not overdoing the decor. on the sword thing...just my feeling, but putting weapons up like that should only be in museums. people hang some pretty weird things on their wall...my Mother used to display PLATES on the wall...lol I hated that because it confused the crap out of my sense of what I though good taste should be. my H.S. friends used to ask...'dude, why are there dinner plates hung up on the wall?' my answer: 'well, if you've ever had my mothers cooking it would make a whole lot more sense to you.' My mother apparently heard me say that, and things started to go dark so I don't really remember the rest of the story or the point I was making...

anyway, my rule...if you use it, don't hang it. another rule: if you don't know HOW to use it, don't even have it in the house.
Posted by: funstick5000

Re: Asian decorations in the home - 11/26/05 08:44 PM

i think there are a few things you should keep in mind if you're doing a japanese style decor. couple of things have been mentioned before but here are my opinions (i want to do my bedroom japanese style, probably will do when i change my bed, as its a bit creaky lol).

1) minimalism, don't throw any old crap in for the sake of it.
2) dis-symmetry, look at any japanese art, it will not be symmetrical.
3)off-white,(bits of) black and darkish red are good colours.
4)keep any wood varnished nice and dark. apart from bamboo obviously.

the kanji scrolls or a japanese print don't seem like too bad an idea. just make sure you know exacly whats written on the scrolls though lol, you don't want your new-found japanese girlfriend asking why make love to fish!

I'd put your swords on the mantle, might look a bit naff but your doing it for you not anyone else.

I can't wait when i'm married and buying a house:

'shall we make the spare room into a nursery?'
'nah, weapons room!!'

Re: Asian decorations in the home - 11/28/05 02:58 AM

Finally! Someone who addressed the sword on the mantle issue.Thanks funstick! I was thinking of a single display samurai sword on a stand.

Ed,
Who says I don't know how to use it?.....ok,I don't. Don't know how to use my hashi either!

Re: Asian decorations in the home - 11/28/05 08:21 AM

(An aside)

I don't want to be a sour prick, but I agree with Ed on the swords. If you are going to have one in your house, especially if it is a live blade, and especially if it is only on a stand (not secured)...you should know how to use it.

It is the first thing an intruder is going to see and pull on you.

(back to topic)
Posted by: phoenixsflame

Re: Asian decorations in the home - 11/28/05 12:08 PM

Quote:

(An aside)

I don't want to be a sour prick, but I agree with Ed on the swords. If you are going to have one in your house, especially if it is a live blade, and especially if it is only on a stand (not secured)...you should know how to use it.

It is the first thing an intruder is going to see and pull on you.

(back to topic)

Unless they brought a gun.

Kidding, Kidding. I don't disagree with putting a sword on display, the mantle doesn't seem like the right place though. As long as you display it *CORRECTLY* ... If you take a picture and I see the edge down, I will find your house and I will kick you in the butt.. Not kick your butt, just a swift kick to the buttox...

Re: Asian decorations in the home - 11/28/05 05:01 PM

thats correct. blade up (you'd be surprized how many are displayed blade-down). If you have one of those 3-peice sets that are popular...it goes small on top, large on bottom. Tanto (top tier), Wakizashi (middle tier), then the Katana (lower tier). This is the same order if worn on the left side for a right handed Samurai. blades up so that (if worn) a downward cut can be made when drawing. when displaying, it's blades up to relieve the pressure on the blade.

orientation:
grip to the right means aggressive non-trusting arraingement since you are able to diretly draw with your right hand.
grip to the left is correct for a home.

Usually you would display a sword in scabbard and only out of scabbard (optional) when your nation is at war. maybe that is only in Japan...not sure.

for vertical stands, its grip down and blade in.

Thats all I can tell you...rudamentary stuff. oh and the other thing I know is most display blades are crap and a rip-off.

anyone ever see a 1,000,000 Yen custom made sword? (~$10,000US). I don't know anything about swords...I shouldn't have been allowed to even hold it. like holding a meter-long scalpel...just insane.

Re: Asian decorations in the home - 11/28/05 10:16 PM

Quote:

I shouldn't have been allowed to even hold it. like holding a meter-long scalpel...just insane.

Here is a true incident. I was in my late teens and there was a school outing and we ended up in some one's front office and there was an antique looking katana displayed on a side table. Being a MA practitioner, I took an immediate interest. I grabbed the handle intending to pull it out to look at the blade; believe it or not, I felt a sudden chill ran through my body and at the same time, I felt 'strong'; those who know the feeling will know; there was a feeling of 'strength' in my hand. I of course let go and walked away with my hands trembling a little. There was a wicked thought going through my head; I wanted to steal that sword! If I could have put it in my pocket......
Posted by: Taison

Re: Asian decorations in the home - 11/29/05 12:32 AM

Quote:

Here I find caucasians wanting to decorate in the 'asian' style, whereas I (an ethnic chinese) have in a small way done my place in a kind of old country western, unsuccessfully

It's kinda hilarious, yes. Caucasians wants "asian" homes while we asians wants, uh, western ones. No matter what I do, my apartment looks exactly like those in New York. Normal furniture bought from "Home Pro" for a cheap price, everything in here is just so damn western, people walk in and ask, you rent this from a "farang"[White-man in Thai].

Me being, well, a cocktail of nationalities [Dominantly Thai but with Spaniard influences] loves donning chinese clothes while at home, and then usually I wear the chinese shirt over my tank-top when walking around. . Kinda like that seraph dude from the Matrix, except I've been doing it a long time before he went "on-air".
It's kinda hilarious.

Anyway, I've tried re-doing my apartmen for a while now, and to be honest, I've sold my sofa, dinner table and chair, re-arranged the room a bit and now I got, well it looks kinda like a blend of Japanese and Bali except I have loads of oil-paintings of Spain, Italy and Sweden on the walls [Forcefully given to me by my father], which I have tried selling but without success.

I wonder, does anyone know how to decorate a balcony? Mine is so dull it's not even funny.

-Taison out

Re: Asian decorations in the home - 11/29/05 07:21 AM

on your balcony, I dare you to hang all of the national flags of the countries represented in your apartment. bet it would look like the U.N.

Re: Asian decorations in the home - 11/29/05 11:39 AM

i'd go for it. i know i will be when i get my own place, it'll probably wind up looking like the dojo in the matrix where neo and morpheous fight. . . i can't wait!

butterfly: i've had the exact same experience when i unsheaved a wazakashi wallhanger in a shop, i could barely get it out because i was pulling on the tsuba at the wrong angle lol, probably knackered the inside of the saya the feeling of power is crazy, just the knoledge theat you could rip pretty much everyone in the room apart with it in a few short seconds.

Taison: i've been after one of those chinese shirts. is there any special name for them? i also want to get a kimono/cotton hakami as they look so comfortable.

Re: Asian decorations in the home - 11/29/05 11:49 AM

Funny, the only time I held a 'real' sword it simply 'felt' perfect. Although, the guy who insisted that I hold it instantly regretted it, saying that all of a sudden he felt 'weirdly nervous...sick in the gut'. (Maybe we should start a thread on 'sword stories' somewhere.)

As for 'Asian' things in my home, considering most of what I own was manufactured in Asia, I'm considering purchasing something that is becomeing really rare: an item stamped 'Made in the USA'.

Re: Asian decorations in the home - 11/29/05 12:24 PM

i can only think of two things in my house that are made in america: my dads fender stratocaster guitar he bought about a decade ago when we were in florida and my zippo.
Posted by: Taison

Re: Asian decorations in the home - 11/29/05 09:26 PM

Great idea!

I got the Swedish, Thai, Spanish and the Chinese flag in my wardrobe[Props from a play about 5 years ago]. Maybe I should go get myself the Japanese, Italian, Singaporean, and the US ones. Soon, people are gonna come knocking on my door asking for a "Visa" for sure. Man that's gonna be hilarious.

-Taison out

Re: Asian decorations in the home - 11/30/05 11:37 AM

Guys, guys...back on topic.

Re: Asian decorations in the home - 11/30/05 01:34 PM

i'll elaborate this thread. does anyone have any asain decorations in the home?

Re: Asian decorations in the home - 12/01/05 01:54 AM

Quote:

i'll elaborate this thread. does anyone have any asain decorations in the home?

Yeah! What do you guys have?
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Asian decorations in the home - 12/01/05 02:17 AM

I have a display set of shirsaya swords (katana, wakizashi, tanto) on the top shelf of my "bookcase" in my room. It was a gift from my instructor's instructor.

I have a little red acrylic cast dragon that was given to me by my fiance sitting on my desk. About 4 inches tall, it is a dragon sitting clutching a ball.

That's about it...although I do have a lot of stuff still in boxes.

Re: Asian decorations in the home - 12/01/05 02:31 AM

Quote:

I have a display set of shirsaya swords (katana, wakizashi, tanto) on the top shelf of my "bookcase" in my room. It was a gift from my instructor's instructor.

Do you have them in the right order? Most of the sword sets I've seen are not.

I have a tai-chi sword hanging above my certificates.

Re: Asian decorations in the home - 12/01/05 02:40 AM

Yes I do. I don't know if I guessed right or I read/saw it somewhere. I think it just appealed to my sense of style/structure. Looks too unstable with the long one at the top.

Re: Asian decorations in the home - 12/01/05 09:22 AM

The kids have some things in their room...not intentional decorations really...just kind of a risidual mish-mash of memorobilia, personal effects and anime/game posters. In the living space you'd have to look at the bookshelf and the kitchen to see any Asian influence. I have this awesome rice-cooker...
Posted by: butterfly

Re: Asian decorations in the home - 12/01/05 01:22 PM

Quote:

I have this awesome rice-cooker...

What? You got yourself a mail order bride from the Philipines?

Re: Asian decorations in the home - 12/01/05 01:26 PM

You know, I was hoping we wouldn't go there...

(must...resist...)

Re: Asian decorations in the home - 12/01/05 01:35 PM

the only things i have are qee, art toys. the basic shapes (bear, cat, dog originally) were originally designed in hong kong but the designs on them are from artists all over the world. http://www.qeester.com/sql/catalog.php the gallery part has every qee produced in. the art toy thing is just starting to come into the mainstream.
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: Asian decorations in the home - 12/01/05 09:09 PM

Hello Brian:

Have you considered emptying out an entire room? Absolutely nothing that isn't painted, or nailed down??? A simple throw rug (proportionately sized) if you must...

"Asian decorations" in some sense are more about being clutter-less, and demonstrating space and the illusion of space.

Merely a thought,
J

Re: Asian decorations in the home - 12/01/05 10:06 PM

...yeah, how d'ya know? she came as part of a super-Soke package w/ Soke certificates, silk bathrobe kimono, green-tea bath salt, and a set of ginsu kitchen knives. It was a limited offer.

Re: Asian decorations in the home - 01/13/06 06:44 AM

Let's revisit this thread shall we?

So far I've got a bamboo plant 7 shoots and a large painted fan with elephants on it. Not much,but I'm still working on it. I found a little zen garden with little rakes and rocks that looks pretty neat-o.
Also,I'm still planning on the traditional ceremonial sword above the fireplace on the mantle,I don't care what any of you think,lol.
Posted by: Borrek

Re: Asian decorations in the home - 01/22/06 10:57 PM

Quote:

Let's revisit this thread shall we?

So far I've got a bamboo plant 7 shoots and a large painted fan with elephants on it. Not much,but I'm still working on it. I found a little zen garden with little rakes and rocks that looks pretty neat-o.
Also,I'm still planning on the traditional ceremonial sword above the fireplace on the mantle,I don't care what any of you think,lol.

I say go for the sword! it sounds pretty cool. you should make some artwork to go on either side of it above the mantle.

I made myself some really cheap asian artwork thats on my wall now. With about $15 invested you can make some awesome stuff.

I went to Borders books and found in the bargain book section a book on asian artworks. It was on sale for 4$ I cut out 6 of my favorite full page pictures to hang on the wall. I made the frames from a $10 bamboo table runner I got from Pier One. The runner was too long for my table so I separated it and used the bamboo bits for cool frames.

Martha-san would be proud..."Its a good thing"

I also bought a cool sumi-e set at the local museum and have been tearing up bits of rice paper and then regluing them on a backer to make a cool "deconstructed" canvas on which I will then paint a few selections from here: http://www.takase.com/MartialArts/MartialArts.htm

lol unfortunately I am not as artistic as I think so I may have bitten off more than I can chew here but I like the idea. it is cheap art though and I am serisouly poor. lol plus a bonus is, anyone who would see it would either not know it sucks or be too embarrassed for me to say anything. win-win scenario!

Re: Asian decorations in the home - 01/22/06 11:49 PM

Thanks Borrek. Sorry to hear you are so poooooorrrrr!!! But poverty is the mother of invention!
I like the kanji artwork. They have a some good stuff in the e-store here as well.

Re: Asian decorations in the home - 01/22/06 11:56 PM

Hey, no advertising allowed, Brian!!

Gonna show us a picture of your decorations?

Re: Asian decorations in the home - 01/23/06 12:37 AM

Quote:

Hey, no advertising allowed, Brian!!

Gonna show us a picture of your decorations?

I would but... I've been trying for the last week to post pictures or even a link. I am totally stupid when it comes to computers!