Eastern things found in a Dojo...

Posted by: Ed_Morris

Eastern things found in a Dojo... - 11/07/05 09:24 PM

I thought it would be interesting to list different Eastern-originating things typically found in a Dojo/Dojang or gym. Please provide a picture of the area/object (if possible) and the word for it with translation and info (again when possible).
Sometimes things that are found in a western version dojo are a total eye sore and only have meaning to the person placing them...this usually comes from the person not knowing any better and just placing stuff in a dojo since it 'looks Asian'. Hopefully, this thread can answer to some misconceptions (including my own) of things that we find in dojos.

I'll start:

Daruma Doll
http://www.oldjapaninc.com/images/Large-Daruma-large.jpg
This is basically a wish doll modelled after Bodhidharma in meditation except there are no arms and no legs, when pushed it will return to upright (weeble-wobble). symbolizing a returning to center. some just have base stands, but the symbolism is the same.
Usually, someone is given a daruma doll when they move into a new house or dojo. Using black ink, one fills in a single circular eye while thinking of a wish. Should the wish later come true, the second eye is filled in. Until then the daruma is displayed in a high location in one's home or dojo.
-This is a decor mostly found in a house, but it wouldn't be strange or tacky to find it on the highest shelf in a dojo.

...I'll add more if people are interested in the thread. Here are some ideas to keep the thread going:

Kamiza wall.
Torii gate or entrance.
Tatami.
Posted by: harlan

Re: Eastern things found in a Dojo... - 11/07/05 10:30 PM

Interesting. Keep it going...I need gift ideas for when (or if) my teacher ever gets his own dojo built.
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Eastern things found in a Dojo... - 11/08/05 09:37 AM

Torii gate or entrance
http://www.kuffner.org/james/gallery/raytracing/torii/Miyajima_torii_gate_postcard_s.jpg
- 'Tori' means bird. a Torii is a bird perch. Since birds are reguarded the messengers of gods in Shinto, the symbolism of the Torii is prosperity and good fortune. I've never seen these indoors in Japan except perhaps a vague resembalence in the framing of a kamiza - (but correct me if I'm wrong). seeing a prominant torii for an indoor entrance of a dojo reminds me of a touristy Asian food restaurant.
http://www.seitokaratedo.com/images/dojo%20gate.jpg

I believe the Chinese 'Paifang' is also only as an outdoor entrance....but probably for different reasons.
Posted by: funstick5000

Re: Eastern things found in a Dojo... - 11/08/05 04:08 PM

i find it funny how people can't control themselves and put all the crap in. Hell i'm still not convinced on the idea of putting mats down instead of the cheaper alternative of a wooden floor.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: Eastern things found in a Dojo... - 11/09/05 11:11 PM

I think it's funny when TKD studios have katana's on their walls.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Eastern things found in a Dojo... - 11/09/05 11:36 PM

They're from the samurai they defeated!!
Posted by: funstick5000

Re: Eastern things found in a Dojo... - 11/11/05 02:55 PM

its a bit like going into your local chinese takeout place where you can see the prime examples of chinese culture: a calander where every picture is of a chinese scroll, the picture of a dragon of the wall and those little japanese bouncing hand cat luck charm thingys.
Posted by: BuDoc

Re: Eastern things found in a Dojo... - 11/14/05 12:49 PM

Quote:

I think it's funny when TKD studios have katana's on their walls.

The same for Okinawan dojos. And instructors that wear hakama

Page
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: Eastern things found in a Dojo... - 11/17/05 02:34 AM

Torii inside???

Now I've seen it all...Amerikajin wa okashii ne.

Next thing you'll see women w/ "hashi" in their hair...

To answer your question, I've seen a mix of tacky Chinese & Japanese wall-hangings & dragons to "Asia-up" one school. And of course the ever-present cheap copy "Saamureye" swords displayed incorrectly.
Posted by: I.Franco

Re: Eastern things found in a Dojo... - 11/21/05 11:56 AM

At the front door we have a wooden sign with the dojo name on it and a noren. Inside, we have a kamiza with a kamidana. Our organization's hata, pictures of our linage, kanji experssing some ideals as well as a nafuda (not pictured).
If you would like to see pictures of the space, please follow the link below.
http://www.toradojo.5u.com/dojo_news.html
Posted by: BuDoc

Re: Eastern things found in a Dojo... - 11/22/05 12:59 PM

I do like the kamidana. And the general lay out.

It does look rather cluttered, but if it works for you, so be it!

Page
Posted by: I.Franco

Re: Eastern things found in a Dojo... - 11/23/05 03:41 PM

Thank you.
Posted by: Ronin1966

Eastern things found in a Dojo... - 12/01/05 09:14 PM

I'm fond of the simple plant displays. My personal favorite are the PLASTIC plants many use and better still if they are sitting in a ~place of notice~ and they are covered with thick grime/dust....

Hummmngh, I know I can do better than this one though, let me think...
J