whats supose to happen with yonkyo

Posted by: Anonymous

whats supose to happen with yonkyo - 04/24/05 12:58 PM

Hi I have doing aikido for quite some years now. I just got Rick Clark's book "pressure point fighting" in with he describes a nikyo and there’s also a yonkyo both done with pressure points now I have supplied my self with detailed charts (since the ones in Clarks book, is close to useless) but nothing happens when I press the lung 9 point (taiyuan) in nikyo? What is supposed to happen? Also what point am I suppose to press in yonkyo?

[This message has been edited by Lars (edited 04-24-2005).]

Re: whats supose to happen with yonkyo - 04/24/05 06:35 PM

While doing nikyo try pressing LI 4 upwards and SI 5 downwards. Also with that try to squeeze them toward each other.
I never used Lu 9 in nikyo, I`ll try it. I guess it depends on where you grab your opponents hand. It might help that while using Lu 9, you add SI 5 like before.

Damn, I used to practice ki aikido, but I can`t remember which one is yonkyo.

Re: whats supose to happen with yonkyo - 04/24/05 10:02 PM

Hmmm....perhaps you should try not to focus on pressure points first, until you can get the lock first?

When you do get the lock, then try augmenting it with pressure points.

With nikyo, you'll want to dig into LI4. I'm not sure you can always reach SI5 at the same time on a person with bigger hands. Although it could work on someone the same height as yourself.

With yonkyo, it's not really a pressure point. Just anywhere on the radial nerve (somewhere between LU6 and 7) would suffice.

If you have Rick's book, be sure to read it carefully, especially the part where he says not all points used are definable pressure points, i.e. the don't exist on any chart.

Bottomline, not a good idea to get hung up on pressure points as THE technique. It's more a secondary augmentation than anything.

Re: whats supose to happen with yonkyo - 04/25/05 11:13 AM

I know how to do the lock, I just figured it was time to expand my knowledge a bit, and pressure points seemed the way to go. I can do a yonkyo with Ki and good control, but as I said the application of PP in my aikido would be a very good supplement at this time, I think.

Thanks for the info.