Does this kill?

Posted by: Anonymous

Does this kill? - 04/15/05 03:40 PM

I started studying pressure points about three years ago as i suffered from really bad migraines. I found that they really help with them. i have aslo done karate and judo for ten years. There are two things i would like to ask to the very experienced people. Firstly, by striking someone hard across the back of the neck, on the top of the spinal cord, can this knock someone out or will it kill them, i dont want to find out the hard way. Secondly, i heard from a firend who also practices the Martial arts, if you place your thumb in the valley at the back of the head also at the top of the spinal cord, then snap the persons head back the person will be paralysed for about an hour. Is this true or am i just been naive?

Re: Does this kill? - 04/16/05 09:31 PM

What do you think?

Pull out your anatomy books and see what underlying anatomical structures are in that area - muscle, bones, nerves etc.

Where do the nerves coming out of C1-C3 lead to?

What happens if those nerves are damaged?

Re: Does this kill? - 04/20/05 08:00 AM

Dont know about the paralysis technique. but any strike to the back of the neck or slightly higher is extremely dangerous. You are getting close to the brain stem in that area. Any hard strike to that area carries the possibility of damaging the brain stem and possible death. Also look at any acupucture or pressure point book. Youll see two nodes either side on the base of the head. gall bladder 20 . Those spots as well, if struck can cause unconciousness or death. i have been put out for a few minutes by an open hand slap to that area. please be careful and get an instructor who is experienced before trying to learn pressure points.

Re: Does this kill? - 04/21/05 07:17 AM

A strike to the back of the neck or to the area just next to the back of the neck like mentioned above is extremely dangerous. If done it will cause unconcioussness or if hard enough, death.

Re: Does this kill? - 04/21/05 03:30 PM

Thanks for the replies - i do have experience of pressure points but i saw the unconciousness one on a movie and wondered what would be.
Thanks again
Phoenix