PP work ...makes you weaker?

Posted by: Anonymous

PP work ...makes you weaker? - 02/16/05 01:36 AM

Do you feel that working pressure points,i.e. hitting them over a period of time, makes them weaker and easier to activate?

Re: PP work ...makes you weaker? - 03/06/05 11:16 AM

That's only true for pressure points in spinal column. Pressure points are nerve endings which regenerate over time, except for the ones in the spinal column. That's why a lot of P.P. attacks you must do 2 things in conjunction, because you must attack both sections of the nerve ending.

Hope this helps.

Re: PP work ...makes you weaker? - 03/07/05 08:43 AM

Pressure points are nerve endings?

Must attack both sections of the nerve ending?

Oh please...provide an example of this.

Re: PP work ...makes you weaker? - 03/07/05 02:48 PM

Pressure points are not just nerve endings. They are where a nerve comes to a Y ,cluster, or ending. I beleive that working the same pp's over time will make them more succeptible to "activation" .

Re: PP work ...makes you weaker? - 03/07/05 03:05 PM

Sanchin31:

Again...I would have to disagree with you as well and ask you to provide me some examples of this. I know this is what Dillman teaches, but it is just not correct. There is an obvious correlation between the meridian pathways and nerve pathways, but not in the way that you are describing them.

Respectfully, I would ask for a few examples of this so we can actually examine them.

Thanks!

Re: PP work ...makes you weaker? - 03/09/05 10:03 AM

Sanchin31 said:
Pressure points are not just nerve endings. They are where a nerve comes to a Y ,cluster, or ending. I beleive that working the same pp's over time will make them more succeptible to "activation"

======

I can certainly understand the implied logic behind this, but I don't think that the science (sensory physiology) will back it up.

When we study pain, there are some interesting things there. Under normal conditions, nociceptors (the specific type of receptors to deal with pain) become increasingly sensitive with continued or repeated stimulation...or in our case "activation". Under this type of situation, chemicals called prostaglandins and leukotrienes are released and this makes the nociceptors even more sensitive. Easy to understand, this is a protective measure of the body. And, it seems to make the case that Sanchin31 has stated.

But the problem is that if we want to take one half of the equation, then we need to apply the other half. In the situation stated above, it goes away. So...if we want to equate vital/pressure points to the nerves as has been posed and then state that repeatedly accessing them makes "activation" easier, how do we deal with the fact that this overly stimulated and sensitive state passes? If these points stay in a state of permanent or seemingly permanent over stimulation, then we would be dealing with chronic somatic pain. Nociceptor injury can result in a change or alteration in the way that they respond to Noradrenaline...which is an important chemical that is used by neurons (or nerve cells) to communicate. This change seems to be what makes nociceptors go into this state of permanant or semi-permanant hyper sensitivity (chronic somatic pain).

So what is the point (no pun intended) to all of this?

If we are going to equate pressure/vital points to nerves, nerve endings, nerve bifurcations, etc. then we need to apply the scince behind nerves and how they respond to pain to them. When doing this, I don't believe that the model fits. To achieve this state of hyper-sensitivity, then those with it would be in a chronic state of pain. If we were to rub our hand down their forearm, they would drop to the floor.

Don't get me wrong...I believe there to be a connection between vital/pressure points and nerves. If we study the older traditional Chinese medical texts and other works such as the Bubishi, then we can see that there is a connection between qi flow and blood flow in the body. Based on that connection alone, it gives us a connection to the nervous system and how it is laid out in the body. But, I don't equate the two the way that some try to and I don't think that it stands up to the information that we have available to us.

Maybe BuDoc will see this thread and comment. I would be interested in her opinion as a medical doctor.

HTH!

[This message has been edited by meijin (edited 03-09-2005).]

Re: PP work ...makes you weaker? - 03/09/05 10:05 PM

Hi meijn! I'm certainly not medically qualified to make a good case, but
i'll try to explain where I'm coming from.
In working pressure points over several years the points on my arm seem to be more easily stimulated than a new student. Is this from repeated abuse over time?

Re: PP work ...makes you weaker? - 03/20/05 02:36 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rainbowtiger:
That's why a lot of P.P. attacks you must do 2 things in conjunction, because you must attack both sections of the nerve ending.
[/QUOTE]

A good example of this is if you decided to do a normal turning kick on the top of someones leg, they can stand it. Now kick them lighter about 3 fingers width above their ancle on the same leg. Now from that point and upto 20min's later if you do a turning kick on them at the top of their leg then you will either knock them out if you hit hard enough, or make them drop to the floor in agany. Either way painful for the attacker.

thanx
CKS

Re: PP work ...makes you weaker? - 03/20/05 03:42 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SANCHIN31:
1) Pressure points are not just nerve endings. They are where a nerve comes to a Y ,cluster, or ending.
2) I beleive that working the same pp's over time will make them more succeptible to "activation" .
[/QUOTE]

1) Pressure points can be found at nerve endings/beginnings (depending on your perspective) or they can be found through out the length of the nerve.
The only real determining factor for “activation” is the location and accessibility to a strike.

2) Actually much of the time nerves can be anesthetized by repeated trauma. It’s adaptation.

[This message has been edited by RyuShikan Tokyo (edited 03-20-2005).]

Re: PP work ...makes you weaker? - 03/20/05 10:40 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RyuShikan Tokyo:
2) Maybe you just know what’s coming and have a “Pavlovian” response to it now.

[/QUOTE]

That's could be right. I know it's going to hurt so it does. Maybe some kind of robotic reaction.

Re: PP work ...makes you weaker? - 03/21/05 01:54 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SANCHIN31:
That's could be right. I know it's going to hurt so it does. Maybe some kind of robotic reaction.[/QUOTE]

The best way I have found to get through the “kyusho uke experience” is just relax…….it hurts worse if you tense up.