Slap down?

Posted by: Anonymous

Slap down? - 02/05/05 08:25 PM

Have any of you allz ever heard of slapping someone and knocking them out? My sensei told me about this. How does this work?

Re: Slap down? - 02/06/05 12:31 AM

A slap to triple burner 16, 17 and 18 (just past the end of the jawbone, under the ear will stun someone easily, and I have been told by a repuatable source (Patrick Mc Carthy) a bouncer he trained uses it all of the time.

Re: Slap down? - 02/06/05 11:27 AM

BS. That's not a "triple burner". That's just getting hit hard in the jaw.

Remember the pressure point news team video? "You just hit me in the head!"
Posted by: laf7773

Re: Slap down? - 02/06/05 11:55 AM

Do you personally have any experience with PPs? If not then how would you know if it works or not? Are you basing all your information on NHB events? I hate to tell you this but NHB isn't the deciding factor on what works in a real fight in real life. It is probably the most effective way to test a persons skill short of getting into a fight out in town. Saying something doesn't work because YOU don't think it is used in these types of events. Part of the problem here is the misunderstanding of what the effects of PPs are. PPs are not the fight enders or what makes a person unbeatable. They are just another tool a fighter can use to try and gain an advantage. The pressure point KOs people are taught work just fine, in the dojo. I have yet to see someone in person use them the same way in a fight. I have seen people knocked out using points but it wasn't intentional, and no they weren’t shots to the head. I'm the last person to fake a response to something for the sake of the art. People I know and don’t know have knocked me out with PPs. I have NEVER felt any affects from no touch KOs. I have used points effectively in fights overseas.

If all you’re going to do is shout "BS" every time someone posts something, take it to another section. If you think you can provide some kind of reasonable explanation why they don't work, feel free. But if you have had no experience with them you can't make a valid assessment of their use

Re: Slap down? - 02/06/05 02:54 PM

You are wrong.

It is not the jaw.

Hit the jaw hard enough, it breaks.

Hit the triple burner hard enough, they KO'd with no bruising.

Re: Slap down? - 02/06/05 03:19 PM

The jaw can become dislocated using those points though. Jack showed us a type of slap to the side of the head that was really nice. I can't remember what points it used though. Oh and hedgehogey, you seriously need to attend a seminar involving pressure points. Maybe that'll show you how stupid you're being.

Re: Slap down? - 02/08/05 03:25 AM

Hell, i'm not saying that striking that spot won't KO a person.

I'm saying:

1: A slap will not KO anyone. A punch, yes. A palm strike, possibly. A slap? C'mon.

2: Being struck about the head will result in a KO no matter what the spot, if the blow's hard enough.

Re: Slap down? - 02/08/05 03:38 AM

You ARE slapping. Are you familiar with the concept of a "heavy hand" with a fist - use the sam econcept when using the slap - also the hand is slightly cupped, not like getting slapped the face and getting a cocktail all over your head.

You need to do it hard, but considerably softer than many other areas of the head. Maybe it is simply another disruption to blood pressure and the inertia of the brain.

Re: Slap down? - 02/08/05 05:16 AM

hedgehodgy,
I know you are a skeptic,but since we cannot come there and prove pressure points just do some researh on them. I personally have been knocked out by pressure points and have knocked out others during practice.But not in a fight. Slaps ko people.
All American Goju Karate

Re: Slap down? - 02/10/05 08:19 AM

Let me tell you this.

I am Hapkido,We use slaps, front, back hand and loose hand slaps ! You do not want to get stuck with a slap !! They may seem sissy but are very effective and you can definetly knock an assailant out with them.

Also cops may be lenient with you when they find out you slapped the guy instead of using the savage fist or they may be too embarressed to press charges for being slapped.

Re: Slap down? - 02/10/05 04:57 PM

Well...anyone from the Okinawan arts (especially Goju) that has been trained in Te no Omoi will attest to the power of the slap.

Michael

Re: Slap down? - 02/23/05 12:41 PM

Quote by Hedgehogey:

[QUOTE]1: A slap will not KO anyone. A punch, yes. A palm strike, possibly. A slap? C'mon.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, brother. I am a MMA person, sceptical of most PPs myself, but you most certainly can knock someone out with a good hard slap.

Check Black Belt magazine (1/05 or 2/05?) for a great article on combat/power slaps by Jeff Menapace. I read the article, was very unsure about it. Went down to my heavy bag and tried a few.

I am convinced now that it would work....although I agree it takes a very hard hit to do so.

[This message has been edited by MattJ (edited 02-23-2005).]

Re: Slap down? - 02/25/05 05:58 AM

Check Black Belt magazine (1/05 or 2/05?) for a great article on combat/power slaps by Jeff Menapace. I read the article, was very unsure about it. Went down to my heavy bag and tried a few.

Hi any chance of getting a copy of that article online we dont have that mag where i live

MF

Re: Slap down? - 02/25/05 06:33 AM

Sensei Rick Clark used to "tap" people out. On the arm, legs, sternocleidomastoid, and occipital points....

I've had a nice "buzz" when Rick tapped me, when he came down to Oz a few years ago.

How does it work? Angle, precision, and the right amount of energy, oh, and of course you have to know what you're doing too. That means, understanding point functions, the meridians on which they lie, the energy cycle (useful but not that important, in Rick's opinion), the underlying physiology (if you want a MWM perspective), etc. etc. etc. etc.

If you did the research, you wouldn't have to ask such a broad question.

I recommend you read up on fundamental TCM (for basic understanding) and find yourself a good anatomy book. For TCM basics, "Grasping the Wind" is a bit terse, but worth perservering with. I'm sure there are others.

Re: Slap down? - 02/25/05 11:01 AM

Madfrank -

Sorry, But I can not find that article online.
Posted by: Littlpond

Re: Slap down? - 02/25/05 02:10 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mark Hill:
A slap to triple burner 16, 17 and 18 (just past the end of the jawbone, under the ear will stun someone easily, and I have been told by a repuatable source (Patrick Mc Carthy) a bouncer he trained uses it all of the time.[/QUOTE]

I think it is called a bracial plexus stun. Basically hitting the side of the neck and disrupting the flow of blood to the head. It is an effective strike. We are taught to use the forearm instead of the hand.