combat experience

Posted by: Anonymous

combat experience - 11/15/04 01:07 AM

I'm not sure if anyone has ever asked this before, but I'm curious if anyone here has ever had to make use of pressure point techniques in an actual self defence situation, and if so how effective were they.

I don't know a huge amount about pressure points, but I think its dubious that in a situation where adrenalin is pumping and motor control is reduced that a precision strike to a pressure point is practical. What are your thoughts?

Re: combat experience - 11/15/04 05:37 PM

I have, in encounters with violent patients at the hospital. My objective isn't anything dramatic like a KO,I just want to control an out of control person and keep myself safe. With focus on the correct PP, my tuite works much better. The encounter, two that I am thinking of, ended in seconds with the patient safely controled on the floor. Another teacher at my dojo who is short, recently was in an encounter while out with friends and so his situation was much more dangerous than mine was in the hospital. He effectively got two K.O. with essentially 1 pressure point for each. Fortunately, those encounters don't come up very often. He used mental foramen on one and I can't remember what he used on the other.

Re: combat experience - 11/19/04 01:23 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by underdog:
I have, in encounters with violent patients at the hospital. My objective isn't anything dramatic like a KO,I just want to control an out of control person and keep myself safe. With focus on the correct PP, my tuite works much better. The encounter, two that I am thinking of, ended in seconds with the patient safely controled on the floor. Another teacher at my dojo who is short, recently was in an encounter while out with friends and so his situation was much more dangerous than mine was in the hospital. He effectively got two K.O. with essentially 1 pressure point for each. Fortunately, those encounters don't come up very often. He used mental foramen on one and I can't remember what he used on the other.[/QUOTE]

Can u tell me more underdog? were the points u used for pain, how did an already out of control person react to more pain, and were u on your own or were there others helping to restrain them?

Re: combat experience - 11/20/04 05:14 AM

i have as well say you are in a situation that your opponent gets you into a head lock you can use your finger and push it into his temple and this will get you out of this situation and alow you to get on the offensive side

hope this helps

Re: combat experience - 12/04/04 05:58 AM

Some pressure points are practical and other are not.The practical ones are:

Solar Plexus
Kidneys
Liver (The spanish boxers call this 'sacador del hígado')

There are pressure points that can cause fatal injuries but I only know two of these.

[This message has been edited by Karl (edited 12-04-2004).]