Pressure Point Meridians

Posted by: Anonymous

Pressure Point Meridians - 07/08/04 05:24 AM

This may sound rather stupid, but I have a question.

K is the kidney meridian. Now, say someone has no kidneys. Of course, ignoring that it'd be rather hard to live without any kidney.

Do the kidney meridian pressure points still work?

This is just idle curiousity, as I myself am asplenic (born without a spleen) and have to wonder if the Sp meridian pressure points would have any effect.
Posted by: alan shindsharonjr

Re: Pressure Point Meridians - 07/09/04 10:29 PM

Your Question is a very good one and deserves a full reply. this may be a bit hard to follow but lets try.
In general the pressure points on the meridian will still work even if the organ is missing. i have a training partner who has lost their gall bladder.
First of all the meridians are major pathways of energy that are attributed to effecting organs or other areas such as triple warmer and pericardium . We now know that the old descriptions from China should not be considered as absolute. Many other organs can be effected on a meridian. for example a stike to stomach 9 in the neck will have a major effect on the heart.
This is called a sympathetic stimlation a increase in the heart rate precipitating a heart attack
A more complicated effect is one called convergence. As you may know many pressure points lay over the begining and end and branches of nerves So in effect you are attacking nerves. Well the nerves are connected in the spinal cord c1 to L12 Now more then one nerve is rooted in the same space so to make a long story short attacking one nerve can send a secondary stimulation to another through the spine. this is one reason in pressure point work we use the cycle of destruction as we learn what nerve is set up from the first attack therefore attacking the second one with more effect as it has already been stimulated.
there are other factors also but this is the main reasons.
Good luck
Alan

Re: Pressure Point Meridians - 07/10/04 03:09 AM

True, but there's a slight difference being that he lost his gall bladder, and I never had a spleen. I understand that there's often more then one organ effected, but I do have to wonder, would there still be a few points that wouldn't quite work?

I'm just curious and bored, and thanks for the answer, though.

Re: Pressure Point Meridians - 11/22/04 01:48 AM

the spleen channel a channel of energy that effects the spleen and is affected by it in turn. it is also a major player in fluid metabolism and digestive system function.

the spleen channel is part of a division called Taiyin. foot taiyin is the spleen, hand taiyin is the lung. taiyin's external partner is Yangming. foot yangming - stomach, hand yangming - Large Intestine.

it's not quite right to associate the channel only with the organ since the energetic function of the spleens is more than just the physical function of the organ. spleen 1 and spleen 10 are frequently used to treat menstrual disfunction which has no relationship to the spleen in western medicine.

so in a long and hopefully beneficial way the answer to the post is that it doesnt matter if you have no kidney, GB, Spleen etc. the energy still flows though the channel and will have a physiological effect.

hope it helped.
Matt