Point vs Cavity Striking

Posted by: Fisherman

Point vs Cavity Striking - 07/02/04 08:07 AM

Just curios as to what your thoughts are on the effectiveness of pressure point striking versus cavity striking in combat.

Just from my experience thus far, it seems to me that cavity striking is easier. The individual points are more difficult to hit than the cavities simply because the cavities are larger.
However, I can definately see how the points can be easily accessed in qi na (joint locking techniques) and used to further the submission of the opponent.

Any thoughts?

Chris
Posted by: laf7773

Re: Point vs Cavity Striking - 08/06/04 01:33 AM

For me it depends on the situation and point/cavity. Neither will work in every situation and i don't like to limit myself. Some people that use points tend to see them as the end all beat all in fighting. Unfortunately some of the point knockouts are only good for getting familiar with the use of various points. They don't always work and a fight isn't the place to figure that out. Some cavity strikes don't have the same effect on everyone either.

From my experience it comes down to what is available to you in a given situation.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Point vs Cavity Striking - 08/06/04 11:54 PM

Truth of the matter is, ANYTIME you strike a cavity, you will be striking pressure points.

--Dave

Re: Point vs Cavity Striking - 08/07/04 01:38 AM

But are they being struck properly? With the number of points throughout the body it's hard to not come close to one any time you hit anywhere. The difference is are you going to get a reaction from your opponent based on striking the cavity or the points within the cavity? For the most part if punching to the throat are you trying to cut off the flow of oxygen or trying to strike ST9 or ST10? It all depends on the situation and what is available to you in that situation.

Re: Point vs Cavity Striking - 08/20/04 04:29 PM

If I may....

If we are talking about "pressure points" in the context of Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), the there is no difference between a "pressure point" and a "cavity" in most general usages. The concept of a point in TCM is a cavity.

Look at it this way, when most folks use the term "jing", they are using it incorrectly. For instance, "fa-jing" is incorrect...although it is now generally accepted. Correct terminology would be "fa-jin" (I believe my friend Scott has demonstrated the correct usage on numerous occasions, but it is past most of the people using it incorrectly). The same is true here. What "we" are calling a point are, in fact, a cavity.

With regards,

Michael

Re: Point vs Cavity Striking - 08/20/04 05:37 PM

So your saying wrist, forearm and points on the face and head are all cavaties?

Re: Point vs Cavity Striking - 08/21/04 12:08 AM

When speaking in terms of Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), then yes.

Michael