Posted by: York Karate

The 5 Rules of Kyusho-Jitsu Training - 08/01/03 08:12 AM

These are in IMO the 5 Rules of Kyusho-Jitsu Training

1. Stay on the same meridian
2. Follow the Cycle of Destruction
3. Use Yin Yang principles
4. Follow the Diurnal Cycle
5. Special Points Rules

If you follow these you will have the foundation skills required for Kyusho application
Posted by: Fighting Dwarf

Re: The 5 Rules of Kyusho-Jitsu Training - 08/01/03 11:55 AM

1. eh?
2. the what?
3. okay...
4. ???
5. sorry to repeat myself, but, eh?

I'm probably just showing my ignorance here, and I apologise if your 5 rules are completely obvious to everyone else, but could you explain please!

-Charlie

[IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/confused.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

Re: The 5 Rules of Kyusho-Jitsu Training - 08/01/03 01:42 PM

This are the basic rules of Pressure Point application - it requires more than knowing where the point is, as noted you need angle and direction and then add these 5 rules and you have a solid foundation to work from

I will be addressing them one at a time starting next week, heading off for the weekend
Posted by: kempocos

Re: The 5 Rules of Kyusho-Jitsu Training - 08/01/03 10:30 PM

York - stay on the same meridian? five element theory requires to use more example :
fire burns metal - heart / lung meridian on the arm, Yin Yang and alot of quadrant responses lean towards this as well. This is how I have understand it anyway. as always IMHO

Re: The 5 Rules of Kyusho-Jitsu Training - 08/02/03 06:40 AM

Each rule has applicably on its own, The Cycle of Destruction is just one of the rules to be used.

Many of the rules can be mixed and matched, as we will see later.

I have set these rules in order of complexity so clearly Rule 1 is the less complex; this does not however mean it is not worth knowing and using.

When learning Kyusho, like any martial art, you need to start with the foundation skills, in this case I view those as the ability to trace the meridians and know element and polarity, point location and method of activation, angle and direction of the attack, and effect (M.A.D.E.). Once you have this you can start applying these rules.

Rule 1 - Stay on the same meridian
You can enhance your technique simply by staying on the same meridian.
If you attack three points all on the same meridian you will have an effect Kyusho technique capable of incapacitating your uke or attacker.

Try it take for example an arm meridian and strike three points along the same meridian in succession and see the effect
Posted by: Kempoman

Re: The 5 Rules of Kyusho-Jitsu Training - 08/04/03 01:38 PM

One of the things to remember is that along each meridian each of the five elements is represented. So you can work along the same merdian, but also work with any of the cycles of energy.

The other thing that I think Gordon is getting at is to keep it simple especially at first.

I personally feel that yin/yang gives the greatest bang for the buck and can be integrated into all techniques very easily.

For example --

Grab (Yin) / Strike (Yang)

When striking --
Soft(yin) / Hard(yang) / Soft(yin)

Hard(yang) / soft(yin) / hadr(yang)

When selecting points

Lung(Yin) / Large Intestine (Yang)

One of the things to notice about the Cycle of Destruction is that when one element is struck the following element is naturally presented by the body for the next attack.
Posted by: Raul Perez

Re: The 5 Rules of Kyusho-Jitsu Training - 08/04/03 03:54 PM

York Karate,

Sounds like you got those rules straight out of George Dillman's books?

Raul

Re: The 5 Rules of Kyusho-Jitsu Training - 08/04/03 04:53 PM

Well Raul

I am one of his Sr. Students so clearly I follow The Dillman Pressure Point Method.

I didn't say I invented this knowledge. I am simply trying to explain things in a simple way that others – with little or no background in Kyusho - can understand. Frankly most people who discuss, train or teach pressure points owe a great deal to George Dillman.

As the September 2003 copy of Black Belt Magaizine September 2003 states “George Dillman has probably done more for the traditional martial arts than any other person alive”

One of his key principles is sharing this information.

Glad to see you have read his books
Posted by: Raul Perez

Re: The 5 Rules of Kyusho-Jitsu Training - 08/04/03 06:36 PM

York,

My post was meant as a question (hence the question mark) and by no means insinuating that you came up with these rules. I am sorry you took it that way, it is hard to detect tone with posts.
And yes I do own a few of Dillman's books. When I first began Ryukyu Kempo there was very few resources about this martial art. Fortunately Mr. Dillman and Mr. Jim Logue had written books. I found Mr. Dillman's books very insightful and easy to read. Of course today there is a tremendous amount about Ryukyu Kempo on the information super-highway.
Ryukyu Kempo---DKI... kinda makes us half budo brothers if you think about it [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]
I do agree that Mr. Dillman has done a lot for traditional Okinawa-te. But lets not forget about "Taika" Oyata.

Re: The 5 Rules of Kyusho-Jitsu Training - 08/05/03 08:09 AM

Good day

You are right tone is difficult with email; I had hoped I answered in such a way that it was neutral.

My base art is Okinawain GoJu I have integrated Kyusho-Jitsu (The Dillman Pressure Point Method) into my base style.

I teach both karate, with Kyusho, or just Kyusho to those who already have an establish base art.

I have had no interaction with "Taika" Oyata, but have heard good things.

I guess I see George Dillman as the man who opened the door to all this information and made it available to everyone, which is why I think BB made the statement the did.

Best regards

Gordon Travers www.yorkkarate.com
Posted by: kempocos

Re: The 5 Rules of Kyusho-Jitsu Training - 08/05/03 09:37 AM

Thank you for the mention of "Taika" Oyata .
I first studied PP under one of OYATAS sr students in 1987 and had the pleasure and pain of meeting him many times. I currently study PP with Rick Moneymaker who speaks highly of him.
Posted by: Fighting Dwarf

Re: The 5 Rules of Kyusho-Jitsu Training - 08/05/03 02:30 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by York Karate:
I am simply trying to explain things in a simple way that others – with little or no background in Kyusho - can understand. [/QUOTE]

Well, I have virtually no knowledge of this, so I am curious to see what all the fuss is about!

Going back to your earlier post, you're going to have to break it down into words of two syllables or less! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

"Try it take for example an arm meridian and strike three points along the same meridian in succession and see the effect" --Okay, where is/are(?) the the arm meridian(s)? Which points should I strike? Sorry! I did say that I really know nothing about kyusho! If you can describe what to do, I'd like to see what happens and report back! This may be old news to some people of course, sorry if it is!

-Charlie
Posted by: kempo_jujitsu

Re: The 5 Rules of Kyusho-Jitsu Training - 08/27/03 05:36 PM

generally i would say, that if gordon sensei says something about kyusho, i would probabaly believe him. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]
i am also a member of evan pantazi's forum sensei travers. i recognized your name from there.
dont know why i never noticed there was a pressure point forum here lol
good training.
Posted by: kempo_jujitsu

Re: The 5 Rules of Kyusho-Jitsu Training - 08/27/03 06:09 PM

get "pressure point karate made easy"...its an awesome book to introduce you to kyusho jutsu.
generally...yang meridians run (down) the outside of your body. and yin run (up) the inside. all points on a yang meridian are yang points..and vice versa. i.e..the outter arm is yang, the inner arm is yin...same with legs etc.
so weve devided the meridians (very basically) as yin or yang.
meridians are named after their corresponding organ and element...in other words if you activate a point on the large intestine (LI) meridian...you are in some way effecting that persons large intestine. im not sure what element corresponds to the LI meridian. actually it doesnt matter until you get deeper into it. which is when you would get into the cycle of destruction and the cycle of creation...water feeds wood...but water also puts out fire. so you would hit a water point...then a fire point...then a metal point (fire melts metal) by this time the opponent will probably be unconcious or very very dazed.
for as for specific points along a specific meridian.
try the lung meridian..point 8 (lu-8)...it is on the inside of the wrist (thumb side) where the nurse takes your pulse. say someone grabs your lapel, strike with a hooking blow with your (door knocker) knuckles in and toward the hand...it hurts and uke will more than likely let go of you lol generally its best to start with single points i think. this allows you to gradually add pressure point methods to what you are already doing.
another example, an armbar. instead of just applying pressure to the elbow in general, dig your knuckles into the point just above the elbow joint on the back of the arm (triple warmer 11) dig your knuckles in (rub, you can strike it with no effect...RUB it)and towards the elbow, remember also to grab the wrist because this actually activates wrist points, one of which is listed above. tw-11 is about an inch above the elbow joint (or so) on the back of the arm.
as for more points along the same meridian, that will come from someone other than myself, because you shouldnt practice kyusho unless there is a qualified instructor present, in case a revival is needed. but generally hitting single points is ok i think...what do you think mr travers? (take his advice over mine any day of the week) [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]
hope that helped some....