Kyushu points

Posted by: Anonymous

Kyushu points - 04/08/03 09:09 AM

I have just started studing kyushu points, particularly in relation to kata. Some of my students are training with me and one of them has been doing tai chi for years. He does tai chi exercises before he trains to open up his body and increase his energy flow. Most of the kyushu applications have no effect on him.
Those of you that are knowledgable about kyushu; given that striking Kyushu points interupt the energy flow through the body, do you think that the tai chi exercises are protecting him against them?
Sharon
Posted by: Kempoman

Re: Kyushu points - 04/09/03 10:54 AM

There is a system of "Vessels" that work hand-in-hand with the meridians. They work to keep the body balanced. The internal arts and proper qigong training keep it working well. It acts as a reservior system moving excess qi and delivering extra qi to areas that need it. This is one explanation of why he may be more resistant.

It can also depend on who is delivering the strike, rub, press so forth.

Sharon, it makes a difference that you are female (yin/yang things). You may need to change your polarity in order to get the desired effect.

Scott
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Kyushu points - 04/09/03 01:36 PM

Thank you Kempoman. Even the Sensei teaching these to us can not do most of them on our tai chi student, only the head ones work. Do you know why this is? Also, I have only partnered men when applying them myself and am having a fair amount of success. But are you saying it will make a difference when I try to apply them on a woman? This is such a complex subject, but fascinating.
Sharon
Posted by: Kempoman

Re: Kyushu points - 04/09/03 05:00 PM

It can get very complex but it can also be very simple. Working with a man gives you a nartual yin/yang attack. You are yin(-) and the male is yang(+). Here is one to try...

With the palm strike with a downward slapping motion onto Stomach-4 (this point lies one finger width away from the corner of the mouth). If you are hitting the left side of his body use your right palm.

Do it first with the heel of your right foot on the floor and again with it off of the floor (cat stance) and note the difference.

This is a polarity change andis in many kata.

Have fun!
Scott

[This message has been edited by Kempoman (edited 04-09-2003).]
Posted by: kempocos

Re: Kyushu points - 05/23/03 08:51 AM

I would like to ask how many points you have tried. It could also be due to the five elemant side, If the points being attacked work towards a constructive cycle due the body type it will cause little effect. IE: Fire burns metal, metal cuts wood. I find all points do not work on all people. Also how long to you tweak the point the student may e blocking the pain easy to do , how ever it does not work for more than a few moments.