Hitting Points in Kumite?

Posted by: joesixpack

Hitting Points in Kumite? - 03/08/02 04:29 AM

How dangerous is it to hit points in kumite? After all, they need angle and direction, and other correct methods of activation for the body's nervous/chi system to be disrupted right?

If it hurts more but won't cause serious damage, or if you don't hit them in a destructive combination/order, why not add a bit more effect or spice to your puches, kicks, elbows knees and slaps in your contact fighting?
Posted by: soyoukan

Re: Hitting Points in Kumite? - 05/22/02 07:47 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by joesixpack:
How dangerous is it to hit points in kumite? After all, they need angle and direction, and other correct methods of activation for the body's nervous/chi system to be disrupted right?

If it hurts more but won't cause serious damage, or if you don't hit them in a destructive combination/order, why not add a bit more effect or spice to your puches, kicks, elbows knees and slaps in your contact fighting?
[/QUOTE]

personally, i would say the effects would be the same as if you were using them in the street, except they are more difficult to apply because both are moving targets. i believe if you did use the kyusho stuff effectively (to achieve a knock out) you would probably end up disqualified.
Posted by: Scholar

Re: Hitting Points in Kumite? - 03/26/03 06:11 AM

Definitely not because that is violating the mutual trust for mutual gain aspect of Kumite. Which is seeking advantadge over your brother in the martial arts violating Bushido Code of Benevolence, causing lesser or greater harms- intended or unintended by your actions. For example long ago when practicing our both doing lower Tae Kwan do blocks he started to do it hard and I applied more force and bruised him some, I felt bad about it and realized this answer regarding your question. What scared me was kumite with a friend when I did back kick with heel one inch from throat. Those are my feelings.
Posted by: Ender

Re: Hitting Points in Kumite? - 05/24/03 06:32 PM

hitting vital points in sparring? I should hope your Sensei would not allow this!!!!

This goes against the whole RESPECT part upon which all MA are based.

Think its very respectful to critically hurt somone? BEcause thats what can happen by disrupting their Chi
Posted by: Reiki

Re: Hitting Points in Kumite? - 05/25/03 05:22 PM

It's not a good idea to hit pressure points unless u really have to!

As said before it can make you pretty sick ..

We only allow light contact in sparring, even so I have received many bruises mainly from young blokes intent on proving their ego!

I forgot to add that my 9yo son got very sick during training camp when an over-enthusiastic kid from another dojo was practising doing kata applications & thought he had to strike the pressure points instead of indicate them. Unfortunately the instructors didn't remind them before they started that they had to indicate points rather than hit them.
He was sick for days... headaches, vomiting etc etc.

[This message has been edited by Reiki (edited 05-25-2003).]
Posted by: York Karate

Re: Hitting Points in Kumite? - 06/02/03 01:47 PM

First Vital Points and Pressure Points are 2 completely different things.
You should not strike Vital Points, because they are just that Vital Points.

Pressure Points are a whole different story. While there are some PP you should be very cautious about striking, in fact in our dojo we do not strike them at all – i.e BG20 and others you should never strike unless you are in a real situation i.e. CO17 there are many points that you need to practice on a moving uke to be able to use them in a real situation.

If you work PP correctly and under the supervision of a qualified instructors they are safe – we had a seminar this weekend and 5 people were KO’d by the instructor. He (the instructor) has been KO’d over 120 himself with no ill effects.

You should limit the amount of contact – striking - PP work you do each week

How can you possible expect to be able to use Kysuho in a real world situation if the only time you work your attacks are on stationary ukes.

You should not however use Kysuho unless
a. You are qualified and know the revivals. You really need to know the revivals very well prior to trying to KO anyone
b. if not a then under the supervision of a qualified person
c. with the agreement of the uke

Also lets remember that
a. not every PP technique is a KO many are controlling ie Tuite applications
b. you need to use control when working with a uke whether it is free sparring, self defence, bunkai or any other application where you could be using PP

Have a great day

Gordon Travers
York Karate-Do
Posted by: JohnL

Re: Hitting Points in Kumite? - 06/02/03 04:20 PM

If you work PP correctly and under the supervision of a qualified instructors they are safe – we had a seminar this weekend and 5 people were KO’d by the instructor. He (the instructor) has been KO’d over 120 himself with no ill effects.

I do not recommend being knocked out to anyone. If the instructor has been KO'd 120 times with no ill effects, all that makes him is stupid. He should also state no ill effects yet
Ali had no ill effects while he was boxing.

You should not however use Kysuho unless
a. You are qualified and know the revivals. You really need to know the revivals very well prior to trying to KO anyone
b. if not a then under the supervision of a qualified person
c. with the agreement of the uke

These so called revivals have not been approved as yet by the medical community. Until they are, I'm keeping my senses intact.
The qualifications suggested are not, to my knowledge, available on any scientific basis. The instructors who teach them are generally also unqualified.

JohnL
Posted by: York Karate

Re: Hitting Points in Kumite? - 06/02/03 08:17 PM

John I don't waste time on people with who think western science has all the answers to everything.... the world is flat after all.

So you can do the “sport of karate” I will train in karate-jitsu

I refrain from childish names like stupid but closed and or narrow minded do come to mind

Have all the best

Gordon