Players to the Game

Posted by: Kempoman

Players to the Game - 12/18/01 11:34 AM

Some time back Rick Moneymaker coined the phrase "Players to the Game" in referencing the principles invloved in attacking the human body. Now he didn't invent the "Players" but the phrase is catchy.

These encompass laws of Chinese Medicine, energetics, body mechanics and so on. "Players to the Game" is an excellent way to group these into a block of memory. The list is long and crosses a big cross-section of principles, however I think that sometimes it pays to remember the 80/20 rule. There are some "Players" that give you more bang for the buck than others. Maybe you could think of these as your "Starting Five"(basketball).

Here are my "Starting five":

1) Polarity: This is usually number one on my list for any technique that I develop or execute. Polarity can be very simple or very complex. As simple as making the attack cross a Yin(Negative) side of the body with a Yang(Positive) side of the body, or as complex as changing polarity to by raising, touching, etc to increase the effectivness of the attack. I think that polarity is your best friend, minimum effort, maximum pain!

2) Five Element Law: Some people say theory, I think it has been proven enough to be called a law. It also helps from a mental state when teaching students. Theory sounds a little wishy-washy; Law sounds like "It can't fail". This as well can be very simple of unendingly complex. I think that with each of these there is a point of diminishing returns(like Raid -- Kills bugs...Dead. I mean how much past blinding pain do you want to go?). You can simply follow the gold standard of the "Cycle of Destruction" (by the way, some people call this the regulatory cycle or some other euphemism...I like the word destructive it means something and put you in a good mind set for the task at hand. I'm not sure what I'm doing when I regulate something, but Ido when I'm destroying...getting off the mindset soapbox now) or begin to combine cycles and mother/son/cousin/nephew laws to supercharge/drain/unbalance meridians. But again simple is usually enough to get the job done, especially when combining "Players".

3) Personal Potent Point Selection: Let's face it some points are just better than others. I can think of about twenty-five control points that are just grand. Learn some points, learn them well, learn everthing about them. I think the temptation is to try and learn everthing, and end up missing the true beauty of some of the points. Some points are just more available, some give you other points on a silver platter. Learn the arm and head points, these will save your life!!! I have seen Master's Dillman, Corn, Kline, Pantazi, Higginbotham and others do things with arm points that boggle the mind.

4) INTENT: What a power concept, but again very simple to very complex. From focusing through a point, to seeing the outcome in the mind, to your mind moving your chi and disrupting the uke energy, to the crazy No-touch and sound stuff...INTENT every last bit of it.

Last but not least...
5) Kata Practice: Some might think that this is a strange bird to thow into the line-up. Actually, I think it fits quite nice. Kata is the best teaching tool for this stuff, performing the movement from a kata correctly will probably already encompass most of these elements and many more for you. I look at it like going to McDonald's and ordering a Value Meal. I don't have to try and make up techniques that use the principles because those of much greater knowledge and skill have already done it for me. "I'll have a number three please...Super Size It!"..and down he goes. I thank GM Dillman for opening my eyes to the value of this "Player" he's my go to guy.

Sure I've a couple of sixth men, ready to come off the bench. But usually there isn't anything the starting lineup can' handle.

Its far easier to combine five simple principles than to worry am I getting advanced enough...

Any thougts...

Scott
Posted by: martinnitram

Re: Players to the Game - 12/26/01 05:26 PM

what is the vibration player?

thanx martin

Re: Players to the Game - 12/31/01 08:46 AM

Martin-san,

There are two players that are very similar that are in this category. The basic premise is that the energetic/nervous system of the body can and will adjust to a certian level of pain. For instance if you place uke in a joint lock and just hold it there, he the pain will eventually lessen and he will be able to react. However, the body can not continue to adjust to differing levels of input. So in concept it is almost like 01010101010101010101(on/off). This will make the energetic system crazy trying to adjust to the input which in turn weakens it for the next strike because it can't take its focus off of that area.

In practice it is a vibration of the arm/palm/fist/leg whatever as is make impact and continues for a moment after impact. I use it a lot in tuite techniques to set up an east kyusho follow-up.

Here's on to try: Pinch uke on the inside of the biceps. Give a good squeeze and hold for a couple of seconds. You will notice that they adjust to the pain. Next, pinch again but use a small back and forth motion on the skin between the thumb and index finger, appling a little pressure. Watch the results and post them please.

Thanks
Scott
Posted by: martinnitram

Re: Players to the Game - 01/04/02 06:48 PM

Thanks

great example, you were right the first pinch hurt him but he got used to it and was able to pull my hand away. Although the second time he couldnt keep still the pain had him on his toes dancing around.

Also im not sure if this is a 'player' or not, but i would like to hear about colour visualization. I heard somewhere along the track that each element (5 elements) has a seperate colour that represents it. And when following the destructive cycle for example fire and metal You should visualise the colour of that element, i think fire is yellow and metal is white i am not sure though. I am sure i was told to visualise the elemnt colour going into my strike etc. I remember trying it with nikyo once, i had to imagine i think it was yellow going into the technique.

i asked my friend krateka about it but he says he has never heard of it, and he said it proberably helps just because of the INTENT action of applying colour that helps you put more intent into the technique.

please expand if you can.

thanx martin

[This message has been edited by martinnitram (edited 01-04-2002).]

Re: Players to the Game - 01/04/02 07:11 PM

Martin-san,

Glad you tried the test. What this demonstrates is the power behind polarity. That power is the "change". It is the constant change from yin to yang that keeps him going. Vibration is similar to this. To practice vibration have uke hold out his arm to the side parallel to the floor. Push down with some degree of force and note how much he is able to resist. Don't tire him out but get a good enough reading. Then with the palm facing the floor, begin to vibrate the your palm and arm and press down not the difference in the resistance level.

Color visualization is a player but I havent had a lot of luck with it, I think that your friend is correct about focusing the intent. However sound is an advanced player that increases the effectiveness of a technique by leaps and bounds. This works by increasing the chi projection.

Try this one. Grab uke's right wrist with your left hand, next press LI-10 with your right thumb. Note the result, next repeat the same technique and on the exhale breathe out the word "heh". This should be a long exhale and the tongue should stay connected behind the teeth. Note the difference and please post results. The sound can take some practice so don't worry about ittaking a couple of tries to make the sound correctly.

Good luck

Scott