Advice requested.

Posted by: MrVigerous

Advice requested. - 07/14/01 09:51 AM

Hi all.I would generaly describe myself as a physical and conditioned martial artist of the - hit it damn hard and break it variety. Though some in this forum might well call it - brute force and ignorance!!! In any case ive have become interested by the possibilities that pressure point / vital point striking may hold in filling a void in my martial arts knowlege. Along with Karate i also train in Jujitsu and some Aikido and have come across the likes of TH17, CV15 and LU8 in passsing through the years that i have been training. I recently got a copy of the Bubishi, translated by Mr Patrick McCarthy and although this work appears packed with knowlege on vital point striking it is difficult to learn where to start. What are the fundementals? How does blood flow theory come into it? Times of the day? Meridians? I hope someone can oblige a traveller seeking answers.
Regds and good training
Posted by: MikeFlanagan

Re: Advice requested. - 07/18/01 12:00 PM

Hi

Personally (and I know there are many people who will disagree), I don't recommend any study of Traditional Chinese Medicine at all to facilitate your study of pressure points, with the exception of finding a text that will help you actually locate the pressure points themselves. And I'm saying this as someone who has a professional qualification in Traditional Chinese Medicine.

The main things to learn are simply where and how to hit. I would heartily recommend 'Kyusho Secrets' by Vince Morris. You can get hold of this in the US, UK, Europe or (I believe) from Vince's website.

Happy experimenting:-)

Mike
Posted by: Kempoman

Re: Advice requested. - 07/23/01 02:43 PM

MrVig,

What Mike-san is saying is very close to my own feelings on this matter. Although I have studied TCM heavily for the last seven years it only helps me understand the why a little better. Kyusho and acupuncture use the energetic system of the body to accomplish their goals. TCM can help you understand the energetic system better.

As for kyusho sources Vince Morris is a great one and his books and videos are fantastic. George Dillman also has some books and videos(George comes at it from a modern western medicine aspect).

You can also check out the Dragon Society which teaches from a TCM perspective

Also check out the Kyusho 101 posts as I will be addressing this subject there. There is also a Kyusho 101:Replies & Questions post for interaction.

Welcome to the forum,

Scott

[This message has been edited by Kempoman (edited 12-27-2002).]