Forum(ForUs)

Posted by: Kempoman

Forum(ForUs) - 07/12/01 12:18 PM

I wanted to take a moment to thank everyone for participating so far in the PP forum. We have easily been the most active forum on FightingArts.Com in the last week or two. I have invited many more people to join us, so expect things to get more interesting quickly.

I also want to address the tone of the forum. This forum is designed to to be a place for healthy discussion/debate. This stuff usually generates a lot both. I realize that the ideas that are presented are vastly different from those that have been taught in mainstream karate/kempo/kenpo for decades, but give a listen, give a try.

When I was first introduced to these methods, I fought hard against them. A down block was a down block. Once I dusted off my butt after getting up off of the floor from being KO'd by a down block...I changed my tune.

I want people here who disagree with me to feel free post regularly, I welcome the challenge/oppertunity to share with and learn from each of you. But let's keep the atmosphere light and not get religious about it. If you are here to share/learn...welcome, if you are here to incite...there's the door.

We are all trying to improve our chosen martial art or our own ability/knowledge this forum and forums like this one are a great place to do so and remember humans once thought the world was flat and VanDamme was good idea(HA HA).

Scott
Eyes and Minds Open...
Posted by: Kevinfreestone

Re: Forum(ForUs) - 07/12/01 12:37 PM

I agree with you about healthy debate, it's definately a good idea. We can only learn by exploring all paths open to us.
I have just started doing pressure point stuff with Leon Jay in Surrey, England and find it very interesting indeed. After 19 years of Karate I feel that I am learning something real. Although, I don't think that every move in a Kata is a pressure point strike. I feel that the search to re-engineer every move to make it so is a bit fruitless. I was at a BBQ last weekend as Leon Jays house and got into a conversation with a Shotokan Karate-Ka who does the "Dillman method". Some of the Bunkai that he came up with worked with the newer (may I say bastardised) Shotokan kata but, if you look at the more original versions, they didn't quite make sense. Kanku Dia and Chatan Yara Kushanku are good examples. I've alredy posted this argument on the Kata forum if you're interested in looking.

It would be interesting to see what other people think.