Anterior Tibialis

Posted by: karl314285

Anterior Tibialis - 08/19/09 05:46 AM

Hi,

The Anterior tibialis is a fair large and surface confluence of nerves located duh anterior and central (more surface just a smidge to medial) at the interface/flexion of foot and tibia/fibula.

Lost, find the lateral and medial malleolus (outer and inner "ankle" bones, those bony protrusions at the ankle.) flex the foot two large tendons should be visible, place your fingers there and extend end flex foot till you know where the tarsals interface with tibia (big lateral leg bone [yes you have been fooled the leg is tib/fib,or rather behind patella in the middle extending down to what we want to strike, the quads and hams surround the femur, the femur is medically not referred to as the leg, the gastricnemous (Sp?) (calf) is the leg, sorry].

or visualize a line starting mid "ankle bone" to opposite mid ankle bone.

Lets play dirty sparring-most MA schools I've visited or attended sadly disallow footsweeps, those that allow always disallow a foot sweep to the front of the leg...too bad...you will be more accurate and fully impact the ant tib nerve with a classic low foot sweep, miss and you hit shin which if you have done some proper shin conditioning may still drop opponent, to ensure you dont sweep to high, lower a good hard 100lb heavy bag (I like to unchain it and stand it on floor) practice front leg foot sweep. key is to not lift sweping leg, if hit properly the bag should jump a bit level and land falling forward ok but jet the little jump and the bag landing kinda where it was is prefect.
***compound hand feint to head, support leg is stepping to side, drop and sweep. if you missed they get [censored], if you hit it (and cause of the ankle uppers on foot pads, well just gotta hit hard and with your un padded shin) if their leg goes numb or limp and they drop you got it. Shin conditioning has lots of good use, will describe later.

***who wants to try a low front leg sweep on a friend...me, if we have agreed to allow generally illegal cheap shots to be ok and you have taught them the same tech.

***hit the lead leg, if they are good and lift or move leg, a back kick to above cup is good or go to ground on back and kick the other leg roundhouse to popliteal (bend in posterior leg) or get moving away fast.

***NOW, what foo goin to try a low foot sweep in a real tussel, not me...use the instep edge of shoe, the sharp part where sole meets upper, here if you hit works much better, if you miss and hit shin enter and attack. again lead leg is target. if the conflict is already close use toe of shoe, this does miss or slip, just make sure it slips behind their leg and push

*** I did say it was a dirty trick,in sparring, no rules when joe tough wont let you walk away tho. Using the shin to kick shin needs you too make sure your shin wont hurt...conditioning

*** many disavow body part conditioning, so heres how i've always done it...100lb heavy bag on chain, give it a push, when bag is approaching kick the very hard base of bag with shin, hard if you hit it hard enough bag will jump up and if it was perfect it jumps and lands back to hanging, 10 each shin switching work from just above the nerve we discussed and ensure whole shin to the tibial protuberance is worked generally 100/leg, 10 lt/10rt etc. tibia will be nice and red. slather tigerbalm over tibia and surrounding muscle.
at home use a stick and rub tibia up and down, this hurts more for a while, tiger balm. feel ready, raise bag so 5-6 in of base at level of the common peroneal nerve palm higher than knee, shin kick base with roundhouse, as this pulls the skin it hurts much more. In all cases PULL THE TOES, plantar flex, if you forget this you will probably break a toe or two

*** if you are dumb enough to do what I've done, you can no longer use groin kick as you have been training the technique with full power and no control, on the street its a great opening shot, if you want to be nice kick the lead leg shin as a preparation. big bonus is blocking groin hunters, just put your shin in the way before they kick you and watch the fun, dont wear shin pads, after a year or two the shin is semi deadened (it still hurts to block, but its so sharp itll go through their shin pad, as they are lying writhing in unconditioned shin pain ask if they are ok and what happened, if your shin hurts ignore it. they probably wont try to groin kick you again, the block is a simple lift but must be practiced so its so auto it does it itself.

was that too much mean???

next either, inguinal strikes or radial nerve. pick one

Karl. Peace. Body conditioning is NOT for those under 20 y/o!!!
Posted by: underdog

Re: Anterior Tibialis - 08/19/09 06:12 AM

Nice post. I don't train as hard as you do because of my age and gender but I am familiar with that leg sweep. Once at work, maybe 6-7 years ago, I got attacked by someone running toward me planning on pinning me to a wall and strangling me. I had no time to just get away, which would have been the defense of choice at work. I blocked and plucked one arm getting to the outside and turned so that I was 45 degrees to the side and rear. I got a nice arm bar with the inside arm and one whopping leg sweep with the inside leg. This was of course, full contact. There is no room to "go easy" when you are attacked seriously by a male patient. (He was violent and I work in psychiatry). He went up in the air and appeared go come down parallel to the floor. It was all very quick and ended the confrontation. From that point, I could control him on the floor until help could restrain him. So for me, underdog that I am, it was, in context with other techniques, a life saver. All the leg meridians except kidney, have a point in the front of the ankle. There are several little bones there making that ankle and the connections are all vulnerable. The very center would be stomach meridian.

It is also a cool target to just scrape down into and stomp with the heel of your shod foot if you need to.

I have not found it to be a good target for pressure in an ankle lock. With a figure 4 on the ankle, I prefer getting the ridge of my wrist into Sp 6 for the tap.

Re: Anterior Tibialis - 08/19/09 10:51 AM

HEY UNDERDOG, LONG TIME NO ...WHAT...ELECTRONIC ETHER CHAT

and you did that instinctively you aint old you badddd!!

I wasnt sure if I gave to much away on that one, its pretty dangerous, face plant and such.

AND as you noticed, when I was describing how the heavy bag should react when tech done perfectly, it pops up and lands almost where it was standing, so ....judges score....10 perfect.

I was and am leery to describe the easy way standing, no need to drop the angles and kick are comparable to something everyone knows....BUT, I know most people (If anyone else reads this) wouldn't do it in dojo but on the street if they do what I omitted , since it is easy standing, person could face plant on a table, pop goes the neck...

whats your opinion, I cant type and It is hard to describe in my slow mo two finger typing.

better yet, lets see how many view it,
I,d like to describe the radial one as it is a shocker to opponent when their arm just drops and wont function, the tech is almost no miss and often one might get away with no penalty in a tournament.

gotta get out mowing yard and culling the chaff of my belongings, might be a long time ere we chat again, unless my job in life is going to jump on me in 2-3 days

Karl. Peace.

Re: Anterior Tibialis - 08/30/09 02:01 PM

Hi me,

Since not many seem to be viewing this post, Underdog you probably will, and my time to post is drawing near the end I thought I would embed this here where few will see or understand....

The Odontoid process...the sure end,if done right, no matter how fast a first responder is....I may never be posting again and I feel the need to share...

Atlas and axis control and support the skull, I have practiced this on elevated propped up heavy bags, seen its potential in Aikido Kitanage, it is i believed banned in MT, the downward elbow to the top of the calvarium or the driving of the calvarium crown as a coup de gras to an evil kaitenage, dont throw them into a roll, ram the skull into a wall...

The odontoid process will, given good technique crush the medulla oblongota, center of HR, Respiration and all other autonomic bodily functions....break a neck, good first responder can save the person to ID the perp...drive the odontoid into the medulla oblongata...NOTHING...NOT one thing can save that person....I've spent plenty of time practicing the close body leap to a downward elbow...walked in grocery stores judging height and angle as I approach a person....I was taught this, taught how to train this...I feel I have to present it as most wont understand or trin it well enough...did I just go to far???

Karl. Peace. probably none will read this anyway. good.
The other things I have to give are probably worse...they go with me:)
Posted by: underdog

Re: Anterior Tibialis - 08/30/09 08:46 PM

I believe this is between the Bl 10 points? I never actually hit anyone in Bl 10 or the cervical spine between. I touch/Contact only without a hit for practice. Too dangerous. It comes up in kata type moves for a downward elbow or other downward strike, I know this is a target. I wouldn't hit it unless my life depended on it. Since I don't actually practice it, I wouldn't know, but I suspect one problem with it is that if you miss, you get the skull and that can take the hit pretty well. You aim and intent need to be "dead" on. It comes up in a kata "Circle of the Panter" where the downward elbow is followed by a rotational neck break, then face throw to the floor.

Peace in your journey.

Re: Anterior Tibialis - 08/30/09 11:36 PM

hey,

you got it, extreme precision, full body weight behind elbow down on crown of skull, just wanted to pass on how i trained for it, in the bag and daily context.
yes, only for extremes we hopefully will never see, but once trained to react like a machine...
very few may get this...dont expound...i'm gone tomorrow bt 1400 ish, may not return, wanted to leave you a gem...you know already, now you know how i was taught this horrid thing.

Karl/ Peace and love/