pressure point training

Posted by: hotrice

pressure point training - 09/12/08 09:04 AM

anyone have any ideas on how practice pp without a partner?... is that icon zangief from street fighter
Posted by: JAMJTX

Re: pressure point training - 09/12/08 09:44 AM

Sorry, it's just not possible.
You can study through books and learn about the points, but the actual skills can only be developed through hands-on practice. Not only in developing the skills in hitting the targets, but getting the right amount of pressure, etc.
Posted by: underdog

Re: pressure point training - 09/12/08 02:59 PM

Jamjtx is 100% correct regarding actual training for actual use. If, on the other hand, your curiosity is mearly intellectual, and you would be satisfied without the actual contact practice, i.e. just to "know about" as opposed to "knowing how to use" then there are kata bunkai videos out there that demonstrate and show pressure point use in kata and similar video. But as JAMJTX indicates, you will never learn the actual skills this way.
Posted by: godan

Re: pressure point training - 09/19/08 12:53 PM

Your better off training with a partner.But as thia is not always possible, you can tain using a dummy.
If you carn't afford one you can always make your own. i somtimes use apoystyrine head that's used to desplay wigs as these can be bought quite cheep.
Posted by: underdog

Re: pressure point training - 09/19/08 01:59 PM

I use a Bob manikin. He is an adjustable height male manikin with head neck and torso. He has no arms. He is very good for training difficult shots either when there is no live person to train on, or if you want to practice with more force, or if you want to train a point that is too close to eyes or other dangerous places before you practice on a live person.
Posted by: everyone

Re: pressure point training - 09/19/08 02:06 PM

You can always condition your hands, finger tips, and palm strikes,elbows, etc... for striking pressure points. Also work on precision aim.

It's just like practicing anything else with out a partner. You can work on attributes and technique (by using some immagination).

Pressure point training, IMO, is not a separate art. It's just some added detail that makes your strikes and grappling more effective. Don't stress about it.