My no touch thesis

Posted by: dazzacarmichael

My no touch thesis - 09/03/07 06:43 PM

Sorry Roseanne for not coming on sooner.
I am the originator of the article mentioned in another section....and there is only the hypno way in my opinion... the problem is there are two groups of people perpetrating these no-touches
1) those who know the score and do it anyway for a fast buck.
2) those who learnt a procedure from their masters and follow that procedure and truely believe they are doing what they say.... and yes I would put a great gentleman previously mentioned in that category.

The only reason why I referred to it as the Hypno way was so i wouldn't get kicked off the kyushospace forum.

If yo don't believe this way will work try it.... but don't tell your students....
I have a great deal of other susceptibility methods and KO methods that can be added to this basic framework.
At the end of the day as a very senior master in a pressure point organisation told me when I challenged them with my model...' It teaches masters good seminar teaching skills' or words to that effect. I know what Roseanne believe and I respect those beliefs, I just don't agree with them....but I still respect them and the passion with which she holds them and her dedication to discovering the truth behind them, and her dedication in training, which I hope I have at her age.
all the best
Darren
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: My no touch thesis - 09/03/07 06:59 PM

It was a great article - ironically, you could probably make more money writting a book debunking NTKO than supporting it!

Thanks also for clearing the NTKO 'dycotomy' question up....saying/beleiving there are 2-types of NTKO (fake vs real) is perhaps the protection of belief mechanism kicking in. It's a hard thing to come to grips with when someone you look up to and admire turns out to be propegating a myth/con. You have guts for confronting it and coming out with it. "the truth sets you free". good job man. let me know if you ever publish, I'll be first in line to read your stuff.

now it's crystal clear why the other thread was locked down...I'm glad it didn't turn out to be an abuse of mod power.

take care,
-Ed

Re: My no touch thesis - 09/03/07 07:07 PM

btw, for the readers, here is the article authored by the originator of this thread:
http://www.kyushospace.com/forum.aspx?id_forum=3&id_category=5&id_topic=125
also:
http://shikon.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1920

on the more techical side I do have questions.

1. What are your thought on Ideomotor effects? in your opinion, as they relate to NTKO's?

2. Do you support extrapolating your same findings for any no touch claims? such as 'no touch Ki/Chi', 'no touch healing', or any form of telekinisis?

thanks.
Posted by: underdog

Re: My no touch thesis - 09/03/07 08:13 PM

Thanks Daz. I know there are many here who would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your ideas. Thanks also for the bail out. If I ever get to UK I'll look you up, Renshi Hulse and Gavin King.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: My no touch thesis - 09/03/07 09:12 PM

Darren, thanks for the gutsy article.
Posted by: Gavin

Re: My no touch thesis - 09/04/07 02:42 AM

Hi Darren,

Thank you very much for your article and clarification of your position. I found it hard to see that you were trying to separate out real from fake. You post clarifies the article perfectly. Hat's off sir, the article is obviously the result of a lot of hard work and research....both of which have been extremely well articulated!

Roseanne, if you are ever in the UK it would be an absolute pleasure to hook up with you and compare idea's!

Gav
Posted by: wristtwister

Re: My no touch thesis - 09/04/07 12:15 PM

Quote:

1. What are your thought on Ideomotor effects? in your opinion, as they relate to NTKO's?

Ed, please don't start blaming everything you can't explain on the "ideomotor" response. There's no more scientific evidence of that phenomenon than there is of "chi"... it's just another theory and buzzword you found while we were on that other thread...

Re: My no touch thesis - 09/04/07 01:11 PM

Ed.
Ideomotor effects are used by Qi masters to show 'the mind moves the qi, and the qi can move the hanging object'. I saw that done 20 years ago by a now jiujutsu grandmaster based in the UK. The ideomotor effect is suggestion if you can get someone to do it yo can get them to drop...as long as you shine it up with Qi blarney.
all the Best
darren
as for extrapolation of my work to qi effects such as the long distance punch, and the feeling of ki. Yes there is a connection, the long distance punch requires a higher level of 'Rapport' than the NTKO which mainly requires high levels of suggestion. What I mean by Rapport is mirroring body language and breathing rate synchronisation. The feeling of another persons ki is mostly down to suggestion but also largely down to the feeler actually being aware of temperature changes, that ordinarily they ignore on a day to day basis.

Re: My no touch thesis - 09/04/07 01:39 PM

Thanks Darren, that does make sense and fits alot of other things/claims we've heard thru the years on these boards.

funny thing though, they hardly ever put up video and NEVER pursue the Randi million dollar challenge you mentioned.

They'll take teen's and midlife crisis people's money from a seminar, but have too many moral principles to collect the million from a scientist?

Re: My no touch thesis - 09/04/07 03:08 PM

Ed... why risk loosing a fortune over a lifetime by trying to gain a small fortune just once.
average seminar fee $250 average seminar number 60, that is $15000 a seminar minus lets say at most $3000 for expenses and that a lot of expenses $12000. How many seminars a year? averaging between 10 for some masters to 45 for others thats earnings a year of $120000 to £5400000 so between 9 years and less than 2 years a master with the right act can make a million and as the no-touch master can be doing it into their eighties that might be 40 years of teaching so if seminar fees were to stay the same for the next 40 years a master could make between 4.5 million dollars and over 20 million... why risk it for the Randi test for only one million. OOOh and how many masters or instructors for that matter, do you know that declare tax on seminar earnings, so tats all clear profit for most of them. This is why so many of these people do not want anyone to question the golden-goose that is no-touch.
all the best darren

Re: My no touch thesis - 09/04/07 03:15 PM

Quote:

This is why so many of these people do not want anyone to question the golden-goose that is no-touch.

Outstanding, Darren. If they aren't interested in the science, then it MUST be the money. Sad.

Re: My no touch thesis - 09/04/07 03:15 PM

geez, you may have to go on a government witness protection program...

keep safe.
Posted by: cxt

Re: My no touch thesis - 09/05/07 12:55 PM

dazzacarmichael

Its even worse than that.

Its hugely financially stupid NOT to take Randi's challange--if somebody really thinks they can pull it off that is.

The potential rewards of being able to do the whole NTKO thing in a lab far outweigh any potential financial losses--again, IF somebody can really do it.

Having a lab certified test would enable you to triple (at least) your fees and number of seminars--as well as putting almost everyone else--those without such lab certified test-- out of business--thus giving you a near monoploy on the NTKO thing.

You could set your OWN price and have as many seminars as you wanted.

Since somebody that can really do NTKO has everything to gain and nothing to lose by stepping up and taking the Randi challange NOT doing so demands some pretty heavy duty reasons why they don't.

Again, IF they can really do it........or did just answer my own question.

On a more serious note, as one of my buddies that does Tai Chi once put it, (my paraphrase)

"Its not really a question of spooky abilties, pretty much everyone that has trained long enough has seen and even done some weird things, its really a question of reliabilty and consistant performence--can you count on it whenever you need it?
Can you call up the "force" whenever and where-ever its required on whomever your facing?
Can you reliably count on its effects? Say the way you can count on a the effects of a really good uppercut?

(and even that does not work all the time)

How that question is personally answered matters.

I think it was Pan Quin Fu (something like that) that once quiped:

"if those old masters could really jump 30 feet then why did they have stairs in their houses?"

I don't think anyone actually has anwered that mainly rhetorical question.

Re: My no touch thesis - 09/05/07 11:22 PM

I find it interesting that the "chi" theories are all bunk (according to the "scientists" among us), but the ideomotor effects are "science"... when everything I could find on it clearly said it was a "psychological theory". If I use chi to create a physical effect, it's bunk... but if you explain it with a psychological theory , it's automatically scientific proof .

I was born at night, but it wasn't last night... and this whole "ideomotor effect" is no more scientific than the ouiji boards they're claiming to be in control of operating.
Where are all the "double blind" tests of this? I read that there were plenty of "hypnotic suggestions" that could cause ideomotor movements, but nobody is claiming to hypnotize anyone using chi...

Bull$*** is bull$***... and the ideomotor " $cientific explanation " is probably a good method to get grant money to "document the ideomotor effect" and write a psychological paper to have the nitwits in the "psychology profession (and I'm being generous there)" explain something they can't see or touch or define.

Sigmund Fraud would be proud of this explanation ...

This thread hit a 6 on my B-S meter...

Re: My no touch thesis - 09/06/07 05:04 AM

Going off track a little here guys..I know I no longer mod this section of the forum but Underdog does and this subject makes her very "Lock Button" happy as it can rapidly spin into a pointless thread. Whilst we have the pleasure of Darren's attention please let's keep this relevant to his article and not get this one locked down!

Re: My no touch thesis - 09/06/07 06:40 AM

Maybe I missed something, but Ed puports that since there ia no "scientific evidence" of chi, that it's bunk. In the same breath, he puports that "ideomotor effects" are "science", while the google-fu sources all say that it's a psychological theory.

Maybe we should just all join the flat earth society and stop using anything that we can't explain adequately. I'm the first guy to admit that a lot of things that are attributed to chi are actually body mechanics, but that fact doesn't necessarily negate everything else about it... and just because "scientists" can cause ideomotor effects from hypnosis doesn't mean that it's the answer to all things unexplainable in human contact and movement either.

Like everything psychologists and psychiatrists do, they start with the answer, and craft the arguments to match their findings by making everything else "bunk". I've had a number of friends in the psychology field over the years, and they've never met anyone that their first approach wasn't "you need to restructure your life"... Of course, it was to fit "their model" of how you should live... so I don't necessarily fall off the wagon every time some psychology wonk tells me about the "science" of theoretical arguments. One of my karate teachers was a psychologist, and I found out that I was "one of his projects". He got pi$$ed when I refused to alter my behavior to fit his "model" just so he could present his thesis, so don't tell me about how "scientific" these guys are. They think everybody they meet are their toys, and they can play with them any way they like...

His "theory" was that you could take "traditional trained karate people" and turn them into more "progressive" martial artists by trying to "un-do" their training. In my case, he was wrong... and just for the record, he would join any martial arts association that passed through town just to get another certificate to hang on the wall. He was obsessed with having his picture with "so and so" hanging on the wall, and his dojo was like trying to workout inside a photo album. He almost had a stroke when he asked me to start teaching jujutsu for him, and I came in and took all his pictures down and boxed them up.

I'm all for scientific proof, Ed, but let's not expose the thread participants to "psychological theories" as scientific proof of anything. It may be true, it might not... just like chi... but it sure isn't "science" at the same standard you pull out like a gun on anything you can't explain.

Re: My no touch thesis - 09/06/07 07:22 AM

I asked the author a question. you extrapolated the rest.

congratualations though, you're doing a good job of giving an excuse to getting the thread locked...which is what many people would like, I'm sure.

To Darren, the author of the article: Have you received 'backlash' as a result of this article? Thanks.

Re: My no touch thesis - 09/06/07 08:57 AM

With the interest in science expressed, does it at all matter that Darren has not done a hyno way NTKO? With all the respect I have for Darren for sharing information with me, this one stickler point bothers me. I'm actually surprised that no one else has even asked. Just curious, has ANYONE done a hypno way NTKO and if so, could you post a clip?

Re: My no touch thesis - 09/06/07 09:04 AM

I won't lock the thread as long as it is respectful. I just don't like being insulted in a way that excedes disagreement and becomes ridicule. I'll accept as a given that people disagree with me and I have no desire to pursuade anyone. Don't need to.

This is a pretty elite group of discussants. I don't need to interfere. I may light touch with my magic mod mouse if we get infiltrated by 12 year olds who want to throw chi balls at their cats. Enjoy. I owe it to Darren to let him have unimpeded forum access that he would have difficulty having on Kyushospace and with an audience that genuinely wants to discuss his ideas.

Re: My no touch thesis - 09/06/07 09:39 AM

Can someone clarify how there is more than one way to NTKO? What is the difference between hypno NTKO and anything else? The implication seems to be that one will work, but not the other. My understanding is that none of them will work.

Re: My no touch thesis - 09/06/07 09:59 AM

Quote:

With the interest in science expressed, does it at all matter that Darren has not done a hyno way NTKO? With all the respect I have for Darren for sharing information with me, this one stickler point bothers me. I'm actually surprised that no one else has even asked. Just curious, has ANYONE done a hypno way NTKO and if so, could you post a clip?

First, I don't see any evidence of there being 2-ways to do a NTKO. In the author's words:
Quote:

I am the originator of the article mentioned in another section....and there is only the hypno way in my opinion... the problem is there are two groups of people perpetrating these no-touches
1) those who know the score and do it anyway for a fast buck.
2) those who learnt a procedure from their masters and follow that procedure and truely believe they are doing what they say.... and yes I would put a great gentleman previously mentioned in that category.

The only reason why I referred to it as the Hypno way was so i wouldn't get kicked off the kyushospace forum.

So my question to you would be, since any video we've ever seen of ANY NTKO falls squarly into the category of Darrin's article...find a video of a NTKO that is performed on a blindfolded stranger who is neither a student nor has vested interest in the result.

Fact: Nobody has done 'No Touch' anything under monitored double-blind test conditions. (If you claim there has, please cite your source).

Fact: There are videos of people claiming and demonstrating NTKO, but all successful demonstrations were exclusively done on students. Whenever it's attempted on a non-believing outsider, excuses are made for it's failure.

Thats pretty wide-reaching evidence there is only one way to KO someone without touching them: which is by using pre-conditioned psychological methods. ie: The uke has to believe it, in order for a NTKO to work.

Therefore, to answer you question: watch any NTKO video. They all fit within Darren's article. Dillman's video is out there (he can't perform it on non-students), plus the Karate vs. NTKO master in Japan vid is out there (the no touch master loses horribly), ....

So the real question is, if you can find a video of a NON-hypno NTKO method (on an unbelieving stranger), then please post that vid!

Re: My no touch thesis - 09/06/07 10:04 AM

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query="no+touch"+knockout&search=Search

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEDaCIDvj6I&mode=related&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa1nzD-n25Q&mode=related&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM_qg5d1YGI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar1yXYOsxQk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC45kYb9Sjg&mode=related&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxQ-e0GStpg

which of those are NON-hypno/NON-cooperative 'no touch' techniques? have you ever performed a hypno or non-hypno NTKO? If not, how do you know how it works?
Posted by: butterfly

Re: My no touch thesis - 09/06/07 12:17 PM

Underdog, I was perplexed by your question to. The implication from your question is that NTKO (outside of these hypno induced phenomena) actually exist.

There has never been any proof to suggest this and the article that Darren wrote, unless you are seeing something differently, clearly states that he thinks it is trickery and does not have any metaphysical basis to it. This will work on only those who allow themselves to be knocked out through this hypnotic effect and not on an unwilling participant.

Re: My no touch thesis - 09/06/07 12:36 PM

Quote:

congratualations though, you're doing a good job of giving an excuse to getting the thread locked...which is what many people would like, I'm sure.

My goal in this was to have you apply the same standard to the ideomotor theory that you apply to every chi discussion. If it's science, and not theory, then prove it... otherwise, it could be caused by rays from a space alien and not ideomotor responses.

The only double blind test going on here is you shutting both eyes when you put this supposed explanation for NTKOs out... and for the record, I don't think I've ever puported that they were even possible... but IF they work, it's from the pressure point sequences in the autonomic nervous system.

While "science" seems to be perfectly willing to accept that acupuncture works on points in the autonomic nervous system, the parallel "science" of pressure points is discounted by the same people. I'd just like for you guys to apply the same standard to both questions without all the "charlatan" accusations and psychological mumbo-jumbo to further confuse the issue.

My son is a perfect example of a hypnotic subject... and you could probably cause him to pass out from looking at his own picture if you placed that suggestion while he's under hypnosis... but the idea that ideomotor responses are responsible for NTKOs or anything else isn't a proven fact from anything I've read so far... it's still a theory. Just because you can get "automatic writing" and "dowsing" movements from people under hypnosis, it doesn't give license to explain any other phenomenon unless you have proof that it's being caused by the same thing... and unfortunately, "I think" isn't "scientific proof"... right along with "I believe"...

Just be consistent... if NTKOs are caused by deception and hypnotic suggestion... prove it. You seem all too willing to force the other side of the argument to do so...

And, seriously, I'd like to have a real answer for this. So far, it's been like arguing with the weather...

Re: My no touch thesis - 09/06/07 01:24 PM

Now I'm really lost.

Quote:

but IF they work, it's from the pressure point sequences in the autonomic nervous system.

??????

Don't pressure points require contact? How can this have anything to do with NTKO? It seems pretty conclusive to me, that outside of hypno NTKO, they simply don't exist.

And Grady, it's not a valid argument for you to say "prove it" when the burden of proof is on the ones making the claim. The evidence so far seems to indicate that NTKO is not possible without the assistance (one way or the other) of the participant. We have already "proved it", and are waiting for proof from the other side.

Re: My no touch thesis - 09/06/07 01:35 PM

WT, I need more data to answer your question...here's what I need:
Someone winning the Randi $1,000,000 challenge prize.

Whoever makes ANY claim, bears the responsibility to prove it...it's not everyone elses responsibility to disprove it.

just using occam's razor logic in this case:
If only failure exists, with no proof positives, then the most likely is the most likely.

and btw, why do you keep mentioning the 'chi/ki' buzzword as an explaination to everything? why not the power of chakras? divine intervention? spirit of our ancestors? aliens using our bodies as hosts?
hmmmm?

another question for the author: When was the first NTKO claim publicized? I'm guessing early 1970's...right around the time cults were mutiplying.

Re: My no touch thesis - 09/06/07 05:43 PM

Another thing that might be worth considering is looking at the subject using the very model that NTKO's are described with.

The NTKO is explained by its supporters as the manipulation of Qi. The classics tell us "Where the Yi goes Qi will follow!". Yi is often translated to intention. Therefore Qi is moved using our own intention, or an active thought process on our part. From a Oriental Medicine point of view (the model used to describe NTKO's by supporters) in order for me to influence a persons energetics they need to be willing to open themselves up energetically to me. There is a phenomenon in both Western and Eastern medicine called the therapeutic relationship, whereby the patient puts them self in the care of the practitioner. Therefore there is a state of required exceptence on the part of the receiver that they will be manipulated, if not they stick the barriers up to protect themselves.

In ALL the PP LTKO's and NTKO's I have seen the recipients have always been "energetically" open to the desired results. This is another argument I have against why you'd practice these stuff. Fight or Flight effects the energetics of someones ability to respond to danger as well which just isn't replicated in these sorts of demo.

Kinda lost the point I was trying to make, but I suppose I'm saying that from an Eastern point of view, IMHO, both NTKO's and LTKO's can be seen as self inflicted also.

Re: My no touch thesis - 09/06/07 05:50 PM

Its not that there may be chi... that is not the question...there may very well be chi... the question is do you require it to explain the phenomena.. and you don't... we must apply Ockham's Razor in the analysis of these phenomena... we must e as economical with our theories as possible... we must not add to our theories that does not need to be there.. and if we do add that which does not need to be there we must ask our motivation why we have added it in the first place and for qi the motivation is the proof we require for a greater dimension to life ...the proof we require for the existence of the spiritual.. do we truly think we can find the inner dimensions of existence through the crass mechanism of knocking people out at a distance do we really think they are the mysterious ways the divine would move in... NTKO's are applied stage hypnotism we must come to terms with it and look for divinity in the hearts of good people not in the palms of charlatans.
all the best darren

Re: My no touch thesis - 09/06/07 08:06 PM

Gavin,
I don't like "sitting duck" techniques of any kind... knockouts or not. You have to be a complete idiot to simply stand there and let somebody do brain damage to you.

Fighting techniques are actually what the knockouts are all about, and while a NTKO might be possible, in a fighting situation, it's highly unlikely. If for no other reason, the fact that both persons are "extending ki" would make it unlikely, and if you're doing a "hitting points" knockout, you have to make physical contact... hence no NTKO. It doesn't have anything to do with ideomotor effects and responses, but simply that if both people are extending ki, the resultant isn't going to be one of them absorbing it and being knocked out.Now, there are other forms of excitation that can be used... such as vibration, gravity, springing... but they all require contact with the recipient.

Like "fa jing" punching, where instead of the body being pushed back, it collapses around the fist and then springs outward away from the fist, extending ki has essentially that same effect. It drives the attachment away from the connection point in the direction that it's being extended mechanically however it's applied to the limbs involved.

I teach students that your arms have two directions of rotation, and if the elbows are locked, it's one set of techniques, if bent, it's a different set. While there's a "mechanical element" to it, extending ki in the technique is what makes it what it is. I teach them as "palms up" and "palms down" structures, and if simply extending ki would make the technique work, I'd be invincible... but I have to have contact to make anything work like that.

Now, there are some LTKO's that don't require much contact at all, but it's still "heavier" contact than the "point and pass out" NTKOs I've seen in videos... and most of them, as you say, are someone standing there "waiting to be knocked out".

How we describe the techniques, the effects of them, and the execution of them clearly affects the "believeability" of them. In 45 years, I've had lots of different experiences in martial arts, but I've never had a legitimate instructor tell me that all I had to do to knock somebody out is to extend ki. I believe that you can execute some techniques without touching, because I've had it happen... but whether I simply moved out of the way "better" than I expected, my timing was better than expected, or what, I have no idea. It certainly isn't a "repeatable on demand" ability that I have... but it has happened.

I think your take on the NTKOs and their description is pretty accurate.

Posted by: madninja

Re: My no touch thesis - 09/06/07 08:21 PM

Quote:

using occam's razor logic in this case:

what about the power of chakras? divine intervention? spirit of our ancestors? aliens using our bodies?

hmmmm?

Wow, that was enlightening.

I think we have our wires crossed somewhere.

And you must get a really suicidal alien host if he's just making you fall over everywhere.
Posted by: cxt

Re: My no touch thesis - 09/06/07 08:27 PM

MattJ

I think the question is not "if" some people can on occasion, every now and then, pull off something that defies scientific explanation---mainly because nobody seems to be able to replicate it in lab conditions.

The real question, IMO is can it be RELIABLY??????

I'm guessing it can't, again, because of the inablity to replicate it, at will, in a lab.

To certain extent all martial arts are pretty much high risk-high return stratagies ie. kicking a man in the face is risky, but if you can pull it off--IF, it tends to end fights in a hurry.

(just an example---but in general, all arts balance risk vs possible reward)

In that sense the question becomes just how much your willing to risk on a given stratagy and a given technique.

I would not try to talk people out of exploring some pretty "out there" aspects of the martial arts--its there time and effort after all and they should be the ones that get to choose how they spend it.

By the same token I demand a pretty high level of proofs on anything they come up with.

Like I said, the real question--TO ME, speaking JUST for me here--isn't if people can do strange and terrible things with overlooked and underexplored aspects of the martial arts.
The real question to me is just how reliable such abilties are and can they be summoned at will.

And as of today, in the abscence of the abilty to replicate it at will--under the light stress of a lab test--let alone under the chaos of an actual attack--I have to judge such ablities as "unreliable"---and thus to high a risk for too little reward.

Again, could be wrong--have been before--and no doubt will be again.

Re: My no touch thesis - 09/06/07 11:27 PM

sorry I don't understand your comment. the only thing 'crossed' I saw was how you misquoted my post.

my point was, explaining something that can't be duplicated at will by attributing it to 'Ki', is just as provable as claiming a divine miracle or with chakra wheels. The explaination is fit into the framework of what the person believes it was.

If a Western-Religion based dojo for example, was teaching NTKO - they might explain it in terms of divine power.

or some sects in China would describe NTKO phenomenon as celestial positioning as source.

no belief based explainations for NTKO are repeatable...but there is one way to explain NTKO which IS repeatable - and that way is exactly what the article of this thread documents.

logically, if explainations A,B & C are not repeatable, but explaination D IS repeatable - I'll believe method D until the other explainations step up to the test area.