Collar bone PP question

Posted by: ExCon

Collar bone PP question - 04/26/07 01:46 AM

Just behind the collar bone is a hollow spot that it you jab a thumb or finger into it hurts.

Is this a PP?

How does it work?

How do you use it in a fight?

Thanks in advance.
Posted by: underdog

Re: Collar bone PP question - 04/26/07 10:18 AM

Above/behind the collar bone are two pressure points: St 11 and St 12. Both are kind of cool. Go to acuxo.com or any of the links in the thread on PP maps, and you can find it.

Re: Collar bone PP question - 04/26/07 10:26 AM

I use them by digging into them. I don't punch them. I use them for take-downs in combination with other things. I don't do much ground grappling but I suspect they would be awesome to help get someone off you. Actually, I might try that. Let's see. From the bottom of the guard, I bet if I put my feet on Gb 26 on both sides and got my fingers into St 11 or 12 on either side and pushed with my hands and feet, I think I could make someone move quickly. How about you think of something to use it for and post. If you get the St 12 point deeply, it should effect the same side arm due to proximity to the brachial plexus.

Re: Collar bone PP question - 04/27/07 01:40 AM

Thanks for the reply underdog, and good info.

I was referring to ST12. I didn’t know there were two points; I did find both on myself.

Quote:

How about you think of something to use it for and post.

In wrestling there is a hand position called the bear claw. The thumb of the bear claw can be used to press on ST12 or ST11 to enhance the effectiveness of the bear claw.

From this web page;
http://www.uwm.edu/People/tpmiceli/wrestling.html

Quote:

BEAR CLAW* - One hand inside tie at the top of the tricep.
The other hand [the bear claw hand] is posted between the neck and the shoulder
on the other side.
-do not wrap it around the neck.
*This is just like the standard tie up except you do not wrap the neck.

Quote:

If you get the St 12 point deeply, it should effect the same side arm due to proximity to the brachial plexus.

What do you mean by “effect”?

Re: Collar bone PP question - 04/28/07 01:50 AM

Quote:

What do you mean by “effect”?

bump

Re: Collar bone PP question - 04/28/07 07:45 AM

Sometimes you can feel a tingling sensation in the arm. The three main nerves of the arm come together in the brachial plexus: medial, radial and ulnar nerves.

Re: Collar bone PP question - 04/28/07 11:09 AM

Quote:

Sometimes you can feel a tingling sensation in the arm. The three main nerves of the arm come together in the brachial plexus: medial, radial and ulnar nerves.

Thanks underdog

“tingling sensation”, I don’t think I’m going to try that on myself.
Posted by: JimmySmith

Re: Collar bone PP question - 04/30/07 11:01 PM

I used to a friend who was very fond of these when grappling- Perhaps you could use them as a set up point but honestly, he used to blitz the hell out of them, after a while I didn't really notice any effect, they became pretty desensitised.

Re: Collar bone PP question - 05/01/07 08:09 AM

I'm pretty sure you can do that from training. I've heard too many people saying they have desensitized and they come from diverse backgrounds. I know St 11 doesn't bother me at all. You could dig in as far as the skin will stretch and I can still talk and breath normally, even when people think they are pressing the point right into the back of the bone with a hooking finger.
Posted by: JimmySmith

Re: Collar bone PP question - 05/02/07 04:29 AM

That actually begs the question if the PP is still having any effect or whether we're just that used to it that we don't care... That would really suck to find out in 15 years that all that ST11 practice has lead to stomach ulsers... peachy.

Re: Collar bone PP question - 05/02/07 08:52 AM

Not for me. I've had opportunities to use pressure points for control in the hospital, with uncooperative or combative people. I have confidence that there is something to the pressure points. Individual people will vary in their sensativity and in the pattern of their sensativity. For example, my coach is very sensative to any points that effect his breathing. He is not very sensative to head points. I'm not really sensative for head points either but joint points do me in.

Re: Collar bone PP question - 05/03/07 09:59 AM

Sounds to me that PPs are unreliable and ineffective

Unless you’re using them on restrained mental patients

Re: Collar bone PP question - 05/03/07 05:46 PM

They work. Like anything else, they take a lot of training. They definitely help me when I need to restrain patients. I use them in grappling, tuite and in striking applications. They are disappointing for the enthusiastic beginner who finds a pressure point map and has unrealistic expectations about what he can do without training.
Posted by: TomTom

Re: Collar bone PP question - 05/07/07 04:10 PM

The pressure point your on about is called the Sub Clavian.(that outside of MA!) As it's under the Clavicle (Collar bone!)
Used as a control method, and taught as part of most arrest and restraint packages that I've come across.
Quite often used on protesters etc as will not cause any long term problem - as worst some brusing maybe.
Can also be applied to both SubClavian points - generally from the rear - as if you were dragging someone away from something. Fish hooking the fingers into the point- pushing down at a 45 degree angle.
And yeah, as it's been pointed out - does not work on everyone - generally I see about 1 in 10 that it has no effect. Thousands of other points to move onto tho!!
Would only use against someone using passive resistance against me - As it's not reliable enough - although effective enough when it does!