Hey Underdog!

Posted by: wristtwister

Hey Underdog! - 02/02/07 06:04 PM

I read the post where you locked the "forum is dead" thread, and wanted to address something from that previous post. Having been an LEO who worked hospital duty, had more than my share of psychopaths as prisoners, and more than my share of attempted escapes, I would like to inform that schmuck that everything that happens in a hospital isn't therapy... and more times than I care to remember, I've been called in to help rescue hospital workers in the psych ward that were getting hammered trying to restrain or help a patient who was on one of those rampages you described... i.e., throwing furniture, etc.

Patients there grab weapons, bite, scratch, try to kick the male attendants in the crotch, poke their eyes out... and on and on, so using pressure points to gain control of them sure isn't in any sense abusive... it's survival.

Whoever that guy is, he needs to take a trip to the psych ward and deal with those people on a daily basis for a couple of months before he shoots off his mouth and calls you out about how you do your job. Between his nonsense, and Chen's discussion about "self study" in pressure points, I was strokin' out on my keyboard when you locked the thread. I'm all better now, but I was really steamed when I read that particular group of posts.

Being snowed in isn't always a good thing... even when it gives you time to read the boards...

I'm all better now...

Posted by: underdog

Re: Hey Underdog! - 02/02/07 09:29 PM

Thanks. Sometimes I wish we had a health care forum. Either that, or maybe I should post and read LEO more.
Posted by: Midnightcrawler

Re: Hey Underdog! - 02/02/07 09:38 PM

Hey WW.

There has to be a better way of dealing with these people. Like I said, the old 'Lunatic Asylum' system worked well for many years, until the 'bleeding hearts' of government thought they would introduce some sort of 'care in the community' system. IE, 'its cheaper to fund'. What I mean in other words, lock the buggers away from society, way out in the country, and keep them doped up. If need be do it the same way as is done in a Zoo, with trank guns. Vets do it all the time, why not Doctors and Nurses?

These people are NUTS. Who gives a damn if they are a danger to themselves? Certainly not the majority of the population I'll wager, if one tops themself that's one less to pay for. Why should Underdog have to 'run the gauntlet' every working day?.

As it happens I have a mate who does the same job as Underdog. During a conversation with him, he mentioned that the staff where he works feel unappreciated, demotivated, under resourced, under funded and are not paid enough. I agree with him, so as I said at the time; "Why the hell do you do it"? The answer was, because he wanted to help make things better. He no longer feels that way and is leaving to return to his previous occupation as an accountant at the end of March this year and quite rightly too.

You said, "Patients there grab weapons, bite, scratch, try to kick the male attendants in the crotch, poke their eyes out... and on and on, so using pressure points to gain control of them sure isn't in any sense abusive... it's survival." That depends on where your coming from. If you can't take the heat, do what my mate is doing and get out of the kitchen. You'll get paid a hell of a lot more as well.

Just for the record, I was not being critical of Underdog, but the system under which she has to work. If hospital staff have to use pain compliance and/or immobilization techniques on patients, then there is something radically wrong with the system. Drug em up by all means, but whack em, pin em or lock em, NO. That is not what I pay taxes for which fund the NHS (UK). Hospitals ARE all about treatment and therapy that is the purpose for their existence, that's the reason I pay taxes to fund them along with everyone else (UK).

There is an enormous problem in that patients who are released into community care 'forget' to take their medicines and go off on a rampage and kill someone. I recon they should stand trial like everyone else and when found guilty of murder, (none of this 'diminished responsibility rubbish) string the buggers up. Do it in public as a deterrent to others. Failing that, as I said above, lock them away FOR GOOD .

MC.
Posted by: Zombie Zero

Re: Hey Underdog! - 02/02/07 09:41 PM

Midnightcrawler...

What do you do for a living, please?

Re: Hey Underdog! - 02/03/07 03:55 AM

Hi ZZ.

As it says in my profile. I am currently employed by the civil service in a senior managerial position. I was head hunted into this job some eight years ago and have eighteen months to serve before retirement. Previous to that I had a managerial career in commerce and industry, including periods in the ceramics, music and automobile industries.

Why do you ask?

MC.

Re: Hey Underdog! - 02/03/07 05:45 AM

This thread doesn't seem to have anything to do with martial arts or with pressure points in particular. I'll grant that mental health has its issues around the world, but that is not the mission of this forum.

Does anyone have anything to say about the humane use of pressure points or martial arts generally in the management of the clients in the mental health system?

The sorry lack of supports for we blokes caught in the middle trying to deliver care under dangerous circumstances is not grist of this mill.

Please stay on topic: Pressure points.
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: Hey Underdog! - 02/03/07 01:11 PM

Yeah, Id like to say, go on and stroke out WT. If thats your bag of tea. never did I say one should attempt or should try to learn PP on there own. As a matter of fact, it was Underdog who said "going and getting a chart to learn the points and hitting them would be DANGEROUS" a word that caught my attention. Thats about as fa as that conversation went. And as far as this one is going.

Re: Hey Underdog! - 02/03/07 04:22 PM

Quote:

Does anyone have anything to say about the humane use of pressure points or martial arts generally in the management of the clients in the mental health system?

Please stay on topic: Pressure points.

Ok Underdog, that's a fair enough comment. So I'll stay on the topic and ask this question. 'Is there a humane use of pressure points or martial arts in general which pertain to the treatment of mental patients?' If there is then I am facinated to know about it.

I've been involved in MA's for over 30 years now and I'm damned if I can see a humane use for MA, but I'm always willing to learn something new. Looking at it logically Martial = Military, Art = Techniques, therefore Martial Arts = Techniques of the Military. Or looking at it another way 'how to cause maximum damage with minmum effort and with least risk to oneself. To quote yourself "This is Martial Arts not a Tupperware Party"

How does that equate with the treatment of mental patients? I really would like to know the answer to this, as I don't see where it fits in.

MC.

Re: Hey Underdog! - 02/03/07 05:33 PM

Alright. Let's get away from the damage notion. Get onto the control or self defense side of things. Also, get away from a focus on attacking me. If you met me, or attended one of my classes for health care professionals, you'd see that it isn't worth it. I am not a violent person. Like most folks in health care, I got into this because I want to help people.

I taught a canned program from Crisis Prevention Institute that is pretty wide spread around the world including in the UK. The emphasis is on verbal deescalalation skills which are essential but not the focus of a MA discussion. If you look at their physical techniques, which I DIDN'T come up with and they have nothing to do with me, you can see the pressure points built into them.

For example, without even getting into their advanced physical training, they have a basic technique, from their entry level course, to defend against a bite. It involves taking your unbitten hand and applying rubbing pressure to Gv 26. That is the easiest example I can come up with. Unless you have access to their student manual, it would be hard to explain the others. All of their techniques are designed to be safe nonharmful physical and control techniques to control an individual until he can regain control of himself.

I could also refer you to Dillman who early on, wrote a text and video for LEO on the humane use of pressure points. These are control techniques and include things like the arm bar. This is harsher than what is taught in CPI, but has it's place as a control technique as long as the practitioners aren't breaking joints with it. This particular technique was being taught by Dillman to LEOs.

My signature line is half joke, like everyone elses. My old signature line was "good better best, never let it rest 'til your good is better and your better is best". This probably better shows my nature. I am not a killer. I am a nurse.

Re: Hey Underdog! - 02/03/07 06:14 PM

No offense meant Chen... just that I've said probably a hundred times that pressure points study requires somebody who has the "fixes" before you try them. I wouldn't recommend anybody take up diffusing bombs on their own either... and in a sense, that's what pressure points are.

Like termites, they cause unseen damage, and plenty of it, so it's not a "self study" operation. If the dangerous nature of it caught your "whoa" button, then, that's good. My whole premise is that if you want to study pressure points, find a teacher that's qualified and go for it. It's just not a "do it yourself" art.

Re: Hey Underdog! - 02/03/07 06:30 PM

If you don't have experience dealing with mental patients, any descriptions we give you here won't mean much. They are like a mine field... one minute they're fine, the next minute, they're going off all over you.

One of the reasons they called me to the psych ward to help the attendants was because of my jujutsu experience, and I could lock them or get them into a submissive state so we could control their movements. No, putting them into submission isn't "treatment"... it's self defense for the attendants, and doing it humanely and without causing the patients "further harm" is what psychiatric care is all about.

Psychotic behavior is unpredictable, whereas the attacks and types of restraint you can use on particular types of patients who attack you are pretty predictable. While many psychotic people don't respond to "fighting", they do respond to pain, and you can get them into a submissive state by using pressure points, locks and take-downs that you wouldn't ordinarily do except in a martial arts class.

Judo, jujutsu, and pressure point techniques are some of the best methods of putting someone into a submissive state, and unless you have the manpower to simply overpower them, that's what you have to do to protect yourself in a psychiatric ward. Many of the people there are easily controlled with their medications, but when the meds wear off, look out... they can go off like a bottle rocket.

Pressure points are designed to be used to disable someone or cause harm. If you're like Underdog, working in a psych ward, you're using them to disable someone who's either harming others or themselves. That's about as humane as either martial arts or medicine can get. JMHO

Re: Hey Underdog! - 02/03/07 07:12 PM

WW,

Isn't there the danger that by 'putting them in pain' (which incidentally I don't consider humaine) you'll succeed in making them even madder or more angry? By which I mean they will be likely to struggle more, and/or put then into a mental state where they will be likely to plot some type of revenge?

Sure you know more about PP than me, it would be difficult not to, but there is always the danger that by taking the action you outlined that you have now made an enemy, not just any enemy, but one who is literally mad? Someone who has all the time in the world to plot their revenge and who you have by virtue of the employment, to be in ongoing close proximity.

I still recon that to 'dope em up' is still the kindest way to treat them. If they are always 'spaced out' then they can't be a danger to anyone.

MC.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Hey Underdog! - 02/03/07 08:01 PM

MC -

While I agree with you in theory, the fact of the matter is that sometimes mental health professionals will run into scenarios like:

* patient refuses to takes meds

* prescribed meds do not work on patient

These types of things are far more common on the "inside" than you may realize, requiring some force on the part of MH people to maintain order. This is not done out of stupidity or laziness, but for safety. Even that of the resisting patient in question.

There are very strict rules about use of force on patients, so most MH folk are very careful about using them.
Posted by: harlan

Re: Hey Underdog! - 02/03/07 08:09 PM

I'd just like to insert an observation here:

whether or not any one here consider's it to be 'PC', I would personally appreciate it if the members refrain from discussing the mentally ill in a derogatory fashion. First...it does nothing to enhance the position that force should be used, and secondly it dehumanizes the mentally ill.

Thank you for your consideration.

Re: Hey Underdog! - 02/03/07 09:28 PM

First of all, mentally ill people aren't "mad" in the literal sense of someone losing their temper. They have uncontrolled emotions or delusions that are psychotic episodes, and their actions aren't really those of someone who is in control of themselves. Not much that you do will either change their attitude or action, other than restraint, and it is not always as easy to give them medications as you seem to think.

What I'm talking about in using martial arts locks and pins along with pressure points is only using pain as a motivator to get them to move into a direction so they can be restrained without harm. It is no more than when you stub your toe or "hit your funnybone"... momentary pain that causes you to move or react in a particular direction.

While I would rather not have to use anything like that on them, my magic wand is in the shop, and they don't respond rationally to verbal commands because they are mentally ill and process information differently than someone who is not.
As for your idea of simply keeping them drugged up and harmless, that's a doctor's call for treatment... not a generic procedure for keeping order.

If it was easy, anybody could handle it. What it takes is professional medical personnel, training, and compassion for people who can't care for themselves. In the meantime, we have to use the methods that are available, and both pressure points and jujustu pins and locks can get the job done without injuring the patients and causing as little harm to them as feasible.

Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: Hey Underdog! - 02/04/07 12:46 AM

I understand that its not a "do it yourself" art. Which was what i was trying to say earlier. I dont EVER recommend anyone to self teach in ANY art.

Anyways, no harm no foul. Take it easy.