are there any pps that arent dangerous?

Posted by: skuj

are there any pps that arent dangerous? - 02/01/07 10:10 PM

i understand the danger involved with pressure points, but are there any that are safe to use, just to goof on your friends or something?
Posted by: JAD

Re: are there any pps that arent dangerous? - 02/02/07 04:32 AM

Yes there are, depending on how you use them, but I'm not willing to say more in this type of communication.
Sorry
Posted by: underdog

Re: are there any pps that arent dangerous? - 02/02/07 07:45 AM

There are. It depends on your use. This is kind of a blind reply since I don't know your style or skill level. One that I showed my Qin-Na instructor last weekend was the mental foramen which you can find on both sides of the chin if you look in an anatomy text book. If you are in a tight grapple and you want to turn your training partner's head to the side, press this foramen slightly down and to the opposite side. From there, it is easier to make your take down or other technique from the ground work.
Posted by: JAD

Re: are there any pps that arent dangerous? - 02/02/07 10:19 PM

Thanks Underdog, I was tired when I last posted and wasn't able to think of an example that I was sure no one could accidentally cause damage with.
Posted by: sunchips

Re: are there any pps that arent dangerous? - 02/12/07 02:44 AM

sorry but in my opinion, you shouldnt be looking at pressure points if goofing with friends, yes there are safe ones, like underdog mentioned, but if goofing, dont use most of these points, you use pps for a reason not for fun, atleast thats my opinion. have fun sparring though.
Posted by: webby

Re: are there any pps that arent dangerous? - 03/01/07 05:13 PM

i agree with sunchips but i under stand what your saying..if your play fighting and wrestling with your friends there are safe pps that you can use..im not that good at pps but im sure there are a couple.
Posted by: underdog

Re: are there any pps that arent dangerous? - 03/02/07 06:00 PM

There are different kinds of practice and training, for different purposes. This is true no matter what you are learning. If you are sparring, do you go full contact all the time? I don't think so. If you did, you wouldn't be able to learn.

Do you ever experiment with trapping or a set up and deliberately use a school drill slowly or make up a drill so that you can develop whatever skill you are trying to develop without getting injured or injuring your uke?

Take a drill- anything- maybe a sinewali boxing drill or something. Have uke stand still and walk around him using the drill and just physically contact with no power, a pressure point from where ever you are. Make it flow. Contact each point with correct angle and direction. Go slowly and make it smooth.

Any skill you learn in karate is about killing people. That is why it is martial arts... military arts. You just don't practice that way or you'd quickly run out of training partners. Sure, pressure points are dangerous. So too is everything else in karate.

Here is another idea. Do your kata. Any kata. Go through it for striking applications. Visualize where you are striking on pressure points in all your moves. An upward block could be a forearm strike to LI 18 which would also get 4 other points around the same muscle of the neck. Visualize how uke folds or falls or defends. What new target does that get you? Make your next kata move a strike to these new targets.

Are you pulling your arm back with a shuto stike using the other hand? Fine. Use the pulling back to grab onto wrist points. No one is going to get injured from you practicing your kata. Go through applications lightly with a training partner to see if you can get them smoothly.

Make your "fooling around" more productive.
Posted by: TomTom

Re: are there any pps that arent dangerous? - 05/07/07 04:27 PM

Lots of pressure points are used for gaining compliance and control and have no life threating aspect to them.
A very simple one for you too find is at the top of the bicep muscle.
Bend your right arm so that your bicep muscle presents itself.
Run your left thumb along the bicep muscle till you get to the top of the muscle. Found the point - now solidly push your thumb into that point.
Ow - it smarts - You have found a pressure point!
The more muscular the person you effect it on - the easier it is to apply- and the more effective it is!!
Fit people beware - fatties your fine - rest easy on that couch!
Find it on yourself first. Your body is covered in them.
No magic to it - just need to look for them.
Posted by: TomTom

Re: are there any pps that arent dangerous? - 05/07/07 04:34 PM

You'll probably find that your local womens self defence class teaches a lot of pressure points.Prob more than your local MA club. Though they may not call them as such.
As with anything they have to be practiced again and again.
The good news is however - not all work on everyone - haha
Life is never simple hey..........
Posted by: whitetigerschool

Re: are there any pps that arent dangerous? - 06/30/08 04:38 PM

Every pressure point known has at least one healing and one destructive angle of manipulation. Almost all pressure points are safe to use destructively on their own. It is when you start combining them that the dangerous stuff starts. Especially if you do not know what combinations are safe and how to restore the energy flow of the body following an attack.