Newbie Looking for a School

Posted by: Jill

Newbie Looking for a School - 01/17/07 12:37 AM

Hello,

Has anyone heard of Northeast Academy of Martial Arts in Mercerville NJ? It is a DKI school. Has anyone ever trained there?

Thanks
Jill
Posted by: underdog

Re: Newbie Looking for a School - 01/17/07 04:39 AM

Off hand I haven't heard of it but I have no problem saying a DKI school ought to be just fine. Since there are imposters out there trying to cash in on the name, you may want to confirm that the school is listed on Dillman's web site as an affiliated school. If you have done that, good luck.
Posted by: Zombie Zero

Re: Newbie Looking for a School - 01/17/07 08:50 AM

Dillman?

Isn't that the NTKO guy?
Posted by: Gavin

Re: Newbie Looking for a School - 01/17/07 10:43 AM

He's done a bit more than just that! A tiny bit of breaking, a little skit round the tournement circuit and I think he may have done a bit in the field of pressure points.

Re: Newbie Looking for a School - 01/17/07 11:29 AM

GM Dillman has done a lot more than NTKO. He is largely responsible for bringing pressure point study into the modern study era. He has made it accessable to a world of martial artists that otherwise, would never have been able to study this facinating domain. The original inquiry was about a DKI (Dillman Karate International) school.

The following is just a warning. We will NOT discuss anything having to do with NTKO on this forum. If you are interested in the topic, do a search. Anything that ever could be said on the subject, already has been. Your opinions, whatever they are, have already been discussed.
Posted by: Ads

Re: Newbie Looking for a School - 01/19/07 05:58 PM

Thanks Underdog, thats saved me writing a huge post of what GM Dillman has actually done for the MA. I cant even imagine where we would be had if it not been for Dillmans' extensive studies and teachings. Anyone who has ever had the honour of training with GM Dillman or who has attended one of his seminars will know of the shear overwhelmness when meeting him.

Re: Newbie Looking for a School - 01/19/07 08:26 PM

I've met him a few times. I've been to his seminars. I went to his MATC in PA and it is quite a wonderful place. I have almost all his videos and all of his books. I am not presently studying in a DKI school, I'm in a KI school, but for many of us, it starts with Dillman.
Posted by: whitetigerschool

Re: Newbie Looking for a School - 06/30/08 04:41 PM

Curious which KI school you are in. I used to train some with Jim Corn of Petersburg, Indiana. That was before there was a KI, when he was still involved in DKI. I have only talked to him twice since the split. Just wondered what you think of the differences.

Re: Newbie Looking for a School - 07/01/08 11:33 AM

I study with Cody Robyn regularly and then once a month, we have a class with Evan Pantazi. It all starts with Oyata. Dillman made that workable for a new generation and culture and then his students started to do the same. Even now, some of Evan's students are breaking off and marketing their own systems. Lucky for me, the KI system works for me. It is logical, progresses nicely and I can "get it". Here is a clip of some old stuff I did http://youtube.com/watch?v=zH2o9vcKG60. This is all static stuff that I needed for PL 1 level. Now I am working on KO in motion, less planning, all spontaneous. Of course it is harder. Maybe next year I'll be ready to get that clip up.
I have a profile posted on kyushospace. The link is in my signature.

And now you? Who are you studying with? Do I know you?

Re: Newbie Looking for a School - 07/01/08 11:37 AM

I just tried the link. It didn't work. Search for Rosanne Driscoll and you'll get the video at youtube. I only have one.